Forum Home » Marriage, Relationships & Families

Spill the beans... on how to minimise loo paper use - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Spill the beans... on how to minimise loo paper use

573 replies 256.9K views

Replies

• Well, you could give your family imodium [disclaimer: or similar non-branded product] everyday.

However, not only would this be wrong [disclaimer: IMO], it has the potential to breach MSE rules on medical advice.

Nevertheless, I'm curious. In these days of triple velvet; quilted toilet paper; moist wipes specifically designed for post-defecation/urination cleanliness, and who knows what else...

Does the 'ouch-that's-not-comfortable-at-all' tracing paper style toilet paper actually still exist? :D
  • flossy_splodgeflossy_splodge Forumite
    2.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was brought up on the '3 sheets is enough' maxim and its stuck (scuse the pun!:o).
    However in order to stick to this you need a decent quality paper so i use Regina. Not only is it much much thicker than most, it's pretty.:T
    Is usually on offer somewhere too! I usually pay £1.29 for a 4 roll pack.
    Wet wipes are a BRILLIANT addition to the process!:rotfl:
    ;)
    "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
    ― John Wooden
  • Jojo_the_TightfistedJojo_the_Tightfisted Forumite
    27.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to the bog in the supermarket instead.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Lol , lol, lol this thread is funny!! I have bought triple velvet and the cheapest rolls..............none makes a difference, my OH still bundles it around his hand, for a single wipe, sorry to be crude!! but it doesn't matter what I buy we still go throught the same amount!
  • use an old sponge on a stick, pass it around all the family :rotfl:

on a more serious note, get the cheapest crap you can buy, your
    !!!! doesn't care what its wiped with.. only you do..
  • edited 12 September 2012 at 4:21AM
    *max**max* Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 September 2012 at 4:21AM
    Seriously, there's economising, and there's being a miser.

I personally buy Triple Velvet, if you must know, because it's nice AND cheap (£1.99 for 6 rolls at my local chemist's) and I think it really is a case of "you get what you pay for". The really cheap stuff is a false economy.

However, I once lived with a guy who told me I used too much TP.
    Not only did the fact I was paying for it escaped his mind, but really...out of all the things you can pick a fight about...Toilet paper?

I applaud clever money-saving, being savvy, getting the best deal..etc. But there's being savvy and there's being a miser. I'd rather drive a hot poker between my eyes than become the kind of person who's mean about toilet paper. Seriously.
  • edited 12 September 2012 at 5:58AM
    Richard_SpudRichard_Spud Forumite
    5 posts
    edited 12 September 2012 at 5:58AM
    I remember the shiny tracing paper loo roll; it was called "Izal Medicated" and it had a green wrapper with a white first-aid cross on. No absorbancy whatsoever, as it just moved the target substance up your back and woe-betide if you managed to get a sharp crease in the old Izal - a proper sphincter ripper. Best used for tracing and brass rubbing I recall.

Cushelle (with the little koala bears on - why I don't know as Andrex has little puppies on) I find is good quality and I buy in bulk when it's on offer at Makro. £10.99 + VAT @ 20% = £13.19 for 24 rolls = 55p per roll but when on BOGOF = 48 rolls @ 27.5p per roll.

Hope this helps with the paperwork.
  • My old granny always had the 'Kent Messenger' cut into little squares in her loo. Maybe we should cut up copies of 'The Sun', it would seem a fitting end to a carp newspaper.....
  • torbrextorbrex PPR
    71.4K posts
    Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit! Post of the Month Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    My old granny always had the 'Kent Messenger' cut into little squares in her loo. Maybe we should cut up copies of 'The Sun', it would seem a fitting end to a carp newspaper.....
    You need to be carefull that you didn't wipe more on than you were wiping off :eek:

The original question was how to minimise loo paper use? not to compromise on comfort.
  • seven-day-weekendseven-day-weekend Forumite
    36.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another advocate of wet wipes.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support