We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Would you be angry?

Options

Comments

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    raven83 wrote: »
    Totally agree with this. Hot water bottle and painkillers, oh i never thought of that when i was doubled up in agony(!) Some people just don't have any clue!

Ypu know, while i understand that, being the same myself, i don't think it would be cured that cycle by the pill. Might be, and of vourse the gp knows best.

As a sufferer from one of those painful conditions i feel very sad for the young me who was told it was normal and to get a grip. I was incredibly relieved to find put it was NOT normal, but i do not think there is need to be rude about it. I am sure theree is stuff i cannot empathise with either, and would not 'have a clue' about. Fwiw i am also sure there are peole whose 'pain' is not so dreadful but have low pain threshholds, but still hope they get adaquate and suitable pain relief. If only the pill had bee the answer for me.:(
  • raven83
    raven83 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ypu know, while i understand that, being the same myself, i don't think it would be cured that cycle by the pill. Might be, and of vourse the gp knows best.

As a sufferer from one of those painful conditions i feel very sad for the young me who was told it was normal and to get a grip. I was incredibly relieved to find put it was NOT normal, but i do not think there is need to be rude about it. I am sure theree is stuff i cannot empathise with either, and would not 'have a clue' about. Fwiw i am also sure there are peole whose 'pain' is not so dreadful but have low pain threshholds, but still hope they get adaquate and suitable pain relief. If only the pill had bee the answer for me.:(

I would class myself as having a high pain threshold, but my periods were out of this world, i used to go crazy, my poor mum or anyone who got close would bear the brunt, plus i would get a really upset tummy with it too, was horrendous! Was so glad to go on the pill, i know it is not for everyone but it worked for me. I couldn't believe how my periods had ruled my life. Now i don't get painfull periods but still heavy but i can live with that, if i have to much i take mefanic acid and it stops my period but i don't do that regulary. I think the pill is taboo in young girls as people asscociate it with being a contraceptive.
    Raven. :grinheart:grinheart:grinheart

• looby75
    looby75 Posts: 23,387 Forumite
    Options
    What's wrong with bed, a hot water bottle and a strong ibuprofen?

WAY over the top, imho.
    because hot water-bottle and pain killers don't work for everyone. It certainly didn't for my daughter or me before I had her (thankfully my periods although still heavy and painful are much less so since pregnancy)
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options

WAY over the top, imho.

If you havent suffered for years with heavy period pain (which your GP dismissed as 'well, its natural - have a baby and it will go - which it didnt) and then much later in life discovered you have endometriosis - which tbh you shouldnt have suffered years with if the doctors had been doing thier jobs and not such chauvinistic pigs! then you would be thankful that doctors these days are much more likely to prescribe drugs that will help with the excrutiating pain!

and hot water bottles, aspirin, or any 'over the counter' remedy does NOT help if you have the beginnings of endometriosis. I can remember days when I was faint from blood loss and doubled up by cramps and I could never use tampons as the blood clots used to just slide by them! and NO sympathy or help from the GP or my mum! in fact it was only when I was married and on the pill I had 'normal' periods!
  • raven83
    Options
    looby75 wrote: »
    because hot water-bottle and pain killers don't work for everyone. It certainly didn't for my daughter or me before I had her (thankfully my periods although still heavy and painful are much less so since pregnancy)

I am exactly the same, mine are still heavy but since having kids they aren't painfull with is a relief :)

• arbroath_lass
    arbroath_lass Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    Options
    looby75 wrote: »
    because it seemed as though you were disputing the fact that period pains could be so painful you could "roll on the floor" dd has done exactly that, its made her legs turn to jelly to the point she's fallen to the floor and she's been left writhing in agony as well the times when the pain was so bad it has made her pass out.

Sorry you thought that Looby, I've "seen" how bad period pains can be. I wouldn't dispute the amount of pain someone was in.
  • claire16c
    claire16c Posts: 7,074 Forumite
    Options

WAY over the top, imho.

Wow. Youve clearly never had a bad period pains/bleeding if you think that would help!

Is the girl supposed to just take to bed every single month when she could do something about it instead?
  • moomoomama27
    moomoomama27 Posts: 3,823 Forumite
    Options
    I would be angry, but only with myself for ignoring my DD's sufferng to the point where someone else had to take her!

TBH, it's all fuss, at the age of 14 she can go to the GP on her own, under her own gumption and it would then be a matter between her and the GP. I know that the pill can be prescribed before the age of 16 without parental permission so she could have made the decision herself.

As there are so many variable to this story, it's silly to chastise anyone over the wrongs or rights of it. Happen it be the girl was in so much pain that the other mother was that concerned?

If the Mother of the girl is against it it's easy dealt with return to the GP, say the pill is unsuitable and explore other avenues, at most the child must have consumed less than 24 hours of the medication!
  • hermanmunster_3
    Options
    1) the pill will not work the period pain in that cycle - only works by stopping ovulation and hence affects the next cycle
    2) Acupuncture is very good for period pains
    3) The pill is good for pains but not first line and not from a GP to a patient as a temporary residents UNLESS the girl is at risk of pregnancy

I work as a GP and a family planning doctor and suspect that there is rather more to this story
  • raven83
    Options
    I would be angry, but only with myself for ignoring my DD's sufferng to the point where someone else had to take her!

TBH, it's all fuss, at the age of 14 she can go to the GP on her own, under her own gumption and it would then be a matter between her and the GP. I know that the pill can be prescribed before the age of 16 without parental permission so she could have made the decision herself.

As there are so many variable to this story, it's silly to chastise anyone over the wrongs or rights of it. Happen it be the girl was in so much pain that the other mother was that concerned?

If the Mother of the girl is against it it's easy dealt with return to the GP, say the pill is unsuitable and explore other avenues, at most the child must have consumed less than 24 hours of the medication!

Ditto! I would be so peed off with myself for not taking her and someone else had to do it! I wouldn't want my girls to go through what i went through.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family