Would you be angry?

Options

Comments

• looby75
    looby75 Posts: 23,387 Forumite
    Options
    Okay, well I never have despite being in a great deal of pain on at least one occasion.
    my daughter passed out on several occasions due to period pains before she went on the pill.

To give you some indication of how painful period pains can get earlier this year she had kidney stones and said that that pain was less than her period pains at their worse :eek:
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I'd have a lot of concerns

If my chilld was unwell enough with anything to need a same day doctor's visit I'd expect a phonecall

The fact the woman didn't take the child to the child's GP who has her full medical history but to a doctor who doesn't is plain stupid.

The pill is a grey area -there's plenty of alternatives -and I'd think a mother would appreciate another parent would want to be involved in the decision. Not saying the pill wouldn't or shouldn't be the solution but it's more serious than taking a couple of asprin.

The woman over-stepped the mark IMO
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • arbroath_lass
    arbroath_lass Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    Options
    looby75 wrote: »
    my daughter passed out on several occasions due to period pains before she went on the pill.

To give you some indication of how painful period pains can get earlier this year she had kidney stones and said that that pain was less than her period pains at their worse :eek:

No idea why you've quoted me.

I was disagreeing with theory that if you aren't rolling on the floor you can't be in a great deal of pain.
  • claire16c
    claire16c Posts: 7,074 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Without more information we dont know that that the friend wasnt just worrying and so took the girl in her care to the doctor, and they came out with the pill- which might not have even entered her mind when they first went there, perhaps she assumed hed prescribe painkillers.

Or perhaps it did - perhaps your friends daughter was too scared to ask her own mum. It could be one of several possibilities.

Did the friend even go in the room with the girl? I would assume at 14 she would have gone in by herself.

And therefore we dont know what she told the doctor - she could have even asked for the pill, and could be having sex or thinking about it. Or perhaps she didnt and just has really bad periods. But the doctor prescribed the pill because they felt that was the best option anyway for whichever it was.

Im pretty sure if the doctor had prescribed a pill that didnt happen to be a contraceptive too the OP wouldnt be feeling angry about this.
  • looby75
    looby75 Posts: 23,387 Forumite
    Options
    No idea why you've quoted me.

I was disagreeing with theory that if you aren't rolling on the floor you can't be in a great deal of pain.
    because it seemed as though you were disputing the fact that period pains could be so painful you could "roll on the floor" dd has done exactly that, its made her legs turn to jelly to the point she's fallen to the floor and she's been left writhing in agony as well the times when the pain was so bad it has made her pass out.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    It depends what happened.

'Right, I've had enough of this will you give me a lift to the doctors'.
    'Mum said we were going to see the GP about going on the pill and I'm sick of waiting, can you take me'.
    'Oh you poor darling, you can't suffer like this, let's go get you on the pill'.
    'I'm really embarrassed about staining your sheets, it's time this got sorted'.
    'I'm not putting up with this any more, it needs sorting now'.
    'Please take me to the doctors' cos I'm having sex but a period's a great excuse.
    'I made an appointment' for when mum's away 'please can you take me'.
    'Will you give me a painkiller?' 'No, I don't want the responsibility I'll take you to the GP'.

And probably a million and one other possibilities.

And I could be wrong, but don't you have to start taking the pill on the first day of your period? The poor girl probably just wanted to get it sorted straight away, and it was just unfortunate it happened at the same time as her mum was away.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What's wrong with bed, a hot water bottle and a strong ibuprofen?

WAY over the top, imho.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • SmallL
    SmallL Posts: 944 Forumite
    Options
    What's wrong with bed, a hot water bottle and a strong ibuprofen?

WAY over the top, imho.

Ahaha, you have no idea. I would be rushed to A and E if you saw me on my period. I would vomit and faint (not a good combination) . The mini-pill gave me back that week of life i missed every month.

I think it was fine she was taken to the doctors (we dont know the severity of her symptoms) and perhaps given guidance on what could be done, then they should have informed he mother that she was taken and of the options etc, possibly to book a second appointment.
  • nuttywoman
    nuttywoman Posts: 2,203 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would under no circumstances want someone else taking my daughter to the docs with heavy periods and being put on the pill !!!! Alot of girls have heavy ones they dont all go on the pill and surely this could have waited for 1 day. My neice who is now 17 is unable to be prescribed the pill due to family fault genes and breast cancer. So my sister cannot allow her to go on it. What if this was the case in this girl and the doctor had prescribed it not knowing the full facts. I cant believe that the periods were so heavy that the girl couldnt have just taken to her bed with a hot water bottle and waited til the mother returned.

I thought the same as you about the periods not being so heavy until last year when my 12yr old great neice ended up in hosp having blood transfusions because she`d collapsed through the great blood loss. She`s now on the pill to stop it happening again.
  • raven83
    raven83 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SmallL wrote: »
    Ahaha, you have no idea. I would be rushed to A and E if you saw me on my period. I would vomit and faint (not a good combination) . The mini-pill gave me back that week of life i missed every month.

I think it was fine she was taken to the doctors (we dont know the severity of her symptoms) and perhaps given guidance on what could be done, then they should have informed he mother that she was taken and of the options etc, possibly to book a second appointment.

Totally agree with this. Hot water bottle and painkillers, oh i never thought of that when i was doubled up in agony(!) Some people just don't have any clue!
    Raven. :grinheart:grinheart:grinheart

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport