We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Would you be angry?

Options

Comments

• POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If I was the mother of this girl I would be absolutely furious.

Going on the pill is no light decision to make.

I have been to the doctor with my daughter at age 14 for the very same thing and our doctor prescribed Mefanamic Acid tablets in the first instance, saying that if they did not work to go back and we would discuss the possibility of her going on the pill.
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    edited 3 May 2012 at 7:33PM
    Options
    Can I just point out that friend feels guilty, not angry, it is me that is angry. My friend had discussed it with her DD and was going to take her to the Dr to talk it through with the doctor, but as she works full time and DD is not in rolling on the floor agony it was just a little lower on the agenda.

I would be cross, not with the Dr, but with the other mother. It is a big descion to go on the pill and will not have relieved the pain immediately - whereas other pain killers would have done, yes I was also thinking mefanemic or tranexamic acid.

I am with the camp that thinks this was not an emergency and therefore the other mum over stepped the mark. I would be furious.
  • arbroath_lass
    arbroath_lass Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    Options
    Has the poor lass been to her GP before? If not, why not? I can't believe someone would leave their daughter in pain. Or want their daughter left in pain because the mother wasn't there. So is she miffed her daughter went to her GP alone or miffed because she was given the pill?
  • Ellejmorgan
    Ellejmorgan Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    Options
    i'd be furious..it's something for a mum and daughter to do together, periods, are for mum to deal with and no one else..
    I always take the moral high ground, it's lovely up here...
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So the girl's period started on the Monday and her mother was due home on the Tuesday? It was hardly a medical emergency and I wouldn't be happy if someone had taken my child to the GP without at least having talked to me on the phone about it.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Can I just point out that friend feels guilty, not angry, it is me that is angry. My friend had discussed it with her DD and was going to take her to the Dr to talk it through with the doctor, but as she works full time and DD is not in rolling on the floor agony it was just a little lower on the agenda.

I would be cross, not with the Dr, but with the other mother. It is a big descion to go on the pill and will not have relieved the pain immediately - whereas other pain killers would have done, yes I was also thinking mefanemic or tranexamic acid.

I am with the camp that thinks this was not an emergency and therefore the other mum over stepped the mark. I would be furious.

ultimately the gp must have given the steer to drug choice i guess. Its probable a mother would not know what to persue...thats why doctors give prescriptions. If i were the mother at the gp i might have said 'the pill sounds worth persuing, i think you should come back with your mum, but dr, what will get us through THIS weekend, till x and her mum can see you again....?'
  • arbroath_lass
    arbroath_lass Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    Options
    DD is not in rolling on the floor agony it was just a little lower on the agenda.

Yes but people in agony don't "roll on the floor" do they? Perhaps the pain was worse this period or worse than Mum realised.
  • Peanuckle
    Peanuckle Posts: 481 Forumite
    Options
    Surely getting the pill wouldn't solve the immediate discomfort the child is in anyway? Bearing this is mind then IF I'd have taken a friend's child to the doctor in these circumstances and the doctor had issued a prescription for the pill then I'd hang onto it and give it to the mother on her return and explain how it was obtained and leave it to her to decide where to go from there.

There are so many things that we don't know that could completely change the scenario, we don't even know if the friend was aware it was period pains for example. If the girl had been too embarrassed to explain then the friend could be, quite reasonably, concerned that it was a medical situation that couldn't wait for mum's return (such as appendicitis) and went to the doctors with the intention of contacting the mother once she knew for certain what was wrong rather than worry people unnecessarily.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Has the poor lass been to her GP before? If not, why not? I can't believe someone would leave their daughter in pain.
    I can. That's because simple analgesics which can be purchased from any supermarket or garage can be surprisingly effective! Running to the GP is not always the sensible solution!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Bangton
    Bangton Posts: 1,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

You wouldn't be cross with the medical professional who should know what he is prescribing and the risks associated?!

Did the friend's mother go in the doctor's room with her?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport