We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cheapest Broadband Provider Discussion

Options

Comments

• BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    Might be worth reading: http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=talktalk about TalkTalk. I was with TakTalk for a few months, worst few months of my broadband life, and glad I managed to get away from them early without penelty. TalkTalk say they are unlimited - they are far from it, their email service is terrible as is their newsgroup access, slow speeds, managed traffic, if all you are interested in is browsing a few pages and don't mind them taking ages sometimes to appear, then maybe it's for you, if you want to be able to download and use P2P, use their email service and newsgroups then forget it.

Strange as when I was on Pipex, I never had any problems whatsoever, moved to TalkTalk and had the above problems aswell as constant dropped connections, as do the majority of TalkTalk users, moved back to Pipex and not a single problem again, now with Telewest (broadband only) and still have no problems.

Luckily I had always had my own domain for email use, so didn't have to rely of their poor service.

TalkTalk - Just don't do it. Their CS do try the best, but even they have had to admit, their service is poor.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • brightoneasy
    Options
    Oh NOOOOOO!! It is 3.30 in the morning, and I am feeling totally depressed!!!! We signed up with Tiscali 18months ago. We are paying 15.99 per month for Broadband but I think we only have th 256 speed. We also pay about 30 quid per month for phone calls. I think I am being ripped off big time! I cant face changing from them, after reading about all the difficulties, but should I sign up for their 19.99 a month package for everything? This has to be cheaper than the 45 per month I am paying??? I know I sound a bit dumb, but it seems a good deal to me, at least much better than what we are doing now. Please, all you helpful people, can you advise? Does "unlimited calls" mean unlimited calls?
  • Roger_Rampant
    Options
    I'm sure you can do better than Tiscali, it would be fair to say that they're not the best ISP around... ;)
    Thanks to all who post constructively.
    H
    ave an A1 day!
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Options
    brightoneasy Oh NOOOOOO!! It is 3.30 in the morning, and I am feeling totally depressed!!!! We signed up with Tiscali 18months ago. We are paying 15.99 per month for Broadband but I think we only have th 256 speed. We also pay about 30 quid per month for phone calls. I think I am being ripped off big time!

Grasp the nettle and dump them !! You only have to read these posts to see Tiscali get stick all the time.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • Jet
    Jet Posts: 1,624 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi,

I've read through the last few pages of this thread.

I'm currently on dial up with tiscali pay as you go. I've also got tiscali 8am - 6pm at home through my employers as i work from home. Never had any problems with tiscali although if I had I'm not sure what their customer service would have been like and I realise that there's probably less chance of needing customer services on dial up.

I'm now using the internet quite a lot in the evenings and weekends and would like to switch to broadband. I'm also using it during the week during the day for 1 or 2 days.

I think I'll only need it for surfing and e-mail and for my son to occassionally play games, so I think I'll only need something fairly basic?

I've had a look on Uswitch who recommend Toucan 1mb with their calls package for £13.99 but after looking at this thread I think I should avoid them.

The next cheapest is Virgin 560k who are £14.99 per month with no yearly contract.

What would your advice be?
  • deedums
    deedums Posts: 593 Forumite
    Options
    Wanadoo want to charge me £20 to upgrade to 2meg service when they currently offer 2meg to new customers (with free future upgrades to 8meg as and when available) and offer a reduced introductory rate of £14.99 against standard £17.99.

They have really grasped the concept of rewarding customer loyalty!

Has anyone managed to get round this and would terminating service and signing up again work. I did this with their anytime service and got the half price introductory rate tho' I think they stopped people doing this.

I don't know about terminating & signing up again, think they will probably have something in place to prevent that, but I did as some other posters had done previously & emailed them to ask if they would waive the £20 and they said yes!

Tonight BT have phoned offering their new deal & tried to persuade me that I'm probably paying too much for the Wanadoo package @ £27.99 pm. They say, even with 2 children downloading & playing games, that I probably don't need anywhere near that limit. Does anyone know if there is a way of checking how much we use per month please? Because if they're right I could say a few £s! :)
  • walsgravematt
    Options
    Jet wrote:

The next cheapest is Virgin 560k who are £14.99 per month with no yearly contract.

What would your advice be?

Hi - just to warn you of their terms and conditions...

"Leaving Virgin.net Broadband:
    If you ordered Virgin.net Broadband on or after 7th June 2005 and you wish to leave, you'll need to give us 30 days notice of your cancellation. In addition, while we don't tie you into a 12 month contact (unlike most broadband providers), we do reserve the right to apply a £50 cancellation charge if your service is cancelled within 12 months of activation. Unfortunately, this charge is necessary due to the cost of activating your broadband service."

So beware the potential £50 charge if you were to leave within 12 months.

HTH

WM
    Smile - life's good !
  • kodak
    Options
    one of the best cheap broadbands 1mb is euro1net.com £9.90 a month. But nobody seems to mention whilst they are ranting and raving about other servers.
    Also fast4 about same price for 2mb

Get with it!!
  • Roger_Rampant
    Options
    Does anyone know if there is a way of checking how much we use per month please?
    Yes I think that somewhere in this thread someone mentioned a good free product that does just that
    H
    ave an A1 day!
  • Roger_Rampant
    Options
    Yes, take a look at post 445 (didn't have to hunt as far as I anticipated!) :p
    H
    ave an A1 day!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business