Cheapest Broadband Provider Discussion

Options

Comments

• mrJ_5
    mrJ_5 Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    Options
  • jonnyboy_2
    Options
    While the article mentions that it's usually obligatory to sign up to a 12-month contract, it doesn't mention that about the only option without this obligation is Virgin.net's package.
  • wonderfullife_2
    Options
    Hi
    Just an update, Tiscali are now supplying MAC Codes, something I've been waiting for the last 18months. I have now signed for f2surf, a bit dearer than Tiscali, but sometimes the cheapest isn't always the best, as I've found out.
    Tiscali are to be avoided at all costs, dreadful speeds and reliability, and customer service is lousy, all the way in India.

:xmassign:
  • ctodd84
    Options
    Here's a tip for Wanadoo Customers but may work with other companies.

I signed up for wanadoo last december to the 15GB limit and while a customer there was sent letters requesting I upgrade cos I was using over that. So I did but 2 months back they rang me up asking how the service was, guessing they wanted to give the impression they care :D to stop me cancelling it come december. So, I reduced it to the minimum package think its 17.99 a month and if your in 2MB area thats the speed you get.

Im guessing cos I can cancel at any time they aren't gonna send any letters, I have gone wild with the downloading 30GB+ a month and no word.

So effectively if your 12 month period is up to retain customers they must just be 'turning a blind eye' to how much your using. Anyone else had a similar experience with other broadband providers?
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Options
    jonnyboy wrote:
    While the article mentions that it's usually obligatory to sign up to a 12-month contract, it doesn't mention that about the only option without this obligation is Virgin.net's package.
    Not so -- https://www.newnet.co.uk - https://www.adsl4less.com - https://www.naims.co.uk are three companies that immediately spring to mind where you are NOT required to sign up for one year. I am sure there are others.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • Roger_Rampant
    Options
    Does anyone know of any Broadband companies that can supply a good service without having a BT phoneline?
    Who supplies your landline telephone service, or do you not have a landline?
    Thanks to all who post constructively.
    H
    ave an A1 day!
  • agaqueen
    Options
    I have always used Waitrose for my dial up connection - all profits go to charity which seems like a good idea to me and also they have a FREE helpline (no 0870 numbers!). I've always found them pretty good. Now I'm thinking about Boradband - has anyone any experience of Waitrose broadband which might put me off?

Thanks
  • ccluedo
    ccluedo Posts: 443 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,
    I am planning to migrate from AOL in January. I thought that earlier in this thread I recalled reading a post from someone with advice re cancelling AOL without any hassle ...but of course now I am looking for it - it I cant find it :(
    Any advice for hassle free migration would be appreciated as I have heard that AOL can be a !!!!!! to extricate yourself from....thanks!
  • funkymonkey
    Options
    rang wanadoo to migrate yesterday and they reduced my price to 14.99 for the next 6 months and doubled my speed to 2GB without the fee. its not even another year contract so they said in 6 months time i can move or ring up again for a cheaper deal if one is around by then!
    #113 12K in 2020 Challenge #113 £17,103/£12,000 £15000
  • ctodd84
    Options
    rang wanadoo to migrate yesterday and they reduced my price to 14.99 for the next 6 months and doubled my speed to 2MB without the fee. its not even another year contract so they said in 6 months time i can move or ring up again for a cheaper deal if one is around by then!

This was a rather helpful little tip thanks :). I rang up myself after seeing this and just to add a bit, if you speak to a normal adviser they'll tell you they can't extend the 14.99 offer to existing customers, but if you ignore that and and ask for the MAC code they'll put you through for it. When the next person answers (customer retention/cancellations as explained in THE MONEY DIET under SKY TV section- I think it is anyway :D) ask them for the 14.99 offer and they'll do it for you rather nifty eh? Likewise you don't enter a new 12 month contract either just 6 months
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure