PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Caravan, camping and holiday cookery

Options

Comments

• sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Try looking on www.ukcampsite.co.uk for lots of information about camping in the UK & abroad.

Jen
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 June 2010 at 12:47AM
    Options
    This one immediately springs to mind ...

THREE TIN STEW

Cheap, quick and easy, and also delicious, warming and filling. Useful as an emergency meal, especially if you have no water supply, as it uses the water in the tins. Also useful for camping or caravanning. Not recommended for backpacking, though.

Makes 4 x 250ml bowls

INGREDIENTS

1 tin of stewed steak in gravy
    1 tin of new potatoes in water
    1 tin of garden peas or sliced carrots in water
    Ground pepper to taste

METHOD

Open the tin of steak. Put the steak and gravy into a saucepan.

Open the tin of potatoes. Drain the water into the saucepan. Cut the potatoes into 2cm (1 inch) pieces. Add the potatoes to the saucepan.

Open the tin of peas or carrots. Add the peas or carrots and the water to the saucepan.

Stir thoroughly.

Put the saucepan on a medium heat. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat until it is just boiling (simmering). Put the lid on the saucepan and continue to cook for 5 minutes until the potatoes are cooked.

Season with the pepper.

ADDITIONS & ALTERATIONS

Use both a tin of garden peas and a tin of sliced carrots.

Add a beef stock cube.

Add a teaspoon of dried parsley.

TIPS

If any of the potatoes are damaged, mash them up and add them to the saucepan. They will help to thicken the stew.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • ubamother
    ubamother Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    Options
    Camp pasta (cooked and eaten by an awful lot of girl guides!)
    Pasta, tin of tuna, an onion if you have one, tin of condensed tom soup, hard cheese.
    Boil pasta, put diced onion in with it. drain, return to pan, add tom soup and warm through, add tuna and grated/chopped cheese and warm through. Eat. This is amazingly tasty.
    Variations on vegetable rice can be made nicer by taking dried mushrooms which are very light to carry.
  • kirstyreanne
    kirstyreanne Posts: 276 Forumite
    Options
    Our favourite is a pack of beef savoury rice, to which we add a large tin of sweetcorn, a tin of tuna & a generous glug of hot pepper sauce. Maybe not the most nutritious, but definitely yummy!!!
  • SallyForth_2
    SallyForth_2 Posts: 501 Forumite
    Options
    Corned Beef Hash.. Don't have a receipe, but I would empty various tins into a pot, along with the diced up corned beef. Such as Tinned tomatoes, Sweetcorn, Mushrooms etc. Serve with Rice or Pasta or tinned potatoes. You could add chilli for a hot version, or maybe curry - might work! Serve it with a nice salad and some fresh french bread.
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    SallyForth wrote: »
    Corned Beef Hash.. Don't have a receipe, but I would empty various tins into a pot, along with the diced up corned beef. Such as Tinned tomatoes, Sweetcorn, Mushrooms etc. Serve with Rice or Pasta or tinned potatoes. You could add chilli for a hot version, or maybe curry - might work! Serve it with a nice salad and some fresh french bread.

Mmmm...with fried egg!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/cornedbeefhashwithfr_78048
  • attentionseeker1
    Options
    If you have a half decent frying pan to put on the camp stove, when we were in France, we boiled up some new potatoes and veg in the same pan and then quickly fried a couple of steaks in the frying pan. Cheap if you get pork steaks or thin cut beef steaks and you can get some lovely fresh veg from the market. You can also get lovely steak sauces in the meat section of Fr supermarket that only cost about 1,50E.

Take all the basics like oil, flavourings etc from your own cupboard in a big cardboard box so you don't have to buy there. We also took some disposable BBQs from home to cook things like merguez sausages on- v cheap in Fr supermarket but the windy campsite slightly thwarted that plan!

Also, if you are eating out, have your main meal at lunch as you can always get a formule set menu for about 10E for 2 courses and they are normally enormous.

HTH!
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 June 2010 at 6:46PM
    Options
    SallyForth wrote: »
    Corned Beef Hash.. Don't have a receipe

I do. Complete with a free history lesson.

CORNED BEEF HASH

This simple store cupboard classic can either be quickly fried in a pan or slowly cooked in the oven, when it is sometimes called a corned beef casserole.

Serves 2

INGREDIENTS

1 tin of corned beef
    1 potato
    1 onion
    1 tablespoon of oil (if pan frying)
    1 beef stock cube (if oven cooking)
    125ml of water (if oven cooking)

METHOD

Cut the corned beef into 1cm (½ inch) cubes (see below). Peel the potato and chop it into 1cm (½ inch) cubes. Peel the onion and chop it into tiny pieces.

TO PAN FRY

Put the oil into a frying pan on a medium heat. Add the onion and fry until golden brown and softened. Stir frequently to stop it sticking.

Add the corned beef and potato. Fry until the corned beef starts to brown at the edges and the potatoes are golden brown and crisp. Stir frequently to stop it sticking.

TO OVEN COOK

Put the corned beef, onion and potato into an ovenproof dish with a lid. Add the stock cube and the water. Stir thoroughly.

Put the lid on the dish and cook in a preheated oven at 180°C, 350°F, gas mark 4 for about an hour until the potatoes are tender.

Remove the lid and cook for another 20 minutes until the top is browned.

ADDITIONS & ALTERATIONS

You can add all sorts of things to the basic recipe, for example, baked beans, chilli powder, garlic, herbs, mushrooms, spices, Worcestershire sauce.

Serve the pan fried version with a fried or poached egg and brown or tomato sauce.

The oven cooked version can be done with layers of sliced corned beef, onion and potato.

TIPS

It is easier to cut corned beef, if it has been chilled in the fridge beforehand.

HISTORICAL NOTE

Corned beef doesn’t contain any corn. The name comes from the "corns" or large grains of salt used to preserve it. The Oxford English Dictionary dates the first use of "corn" in this context to 888.

The earliest reference to corned beef is in the 11th century Irish tale Aislinge Meic Con Glinne or The Vision of MacConglinne. It was a luxury food, as cattle were highly prized and only killed when they were no longer able to provide milk or work. Any meat not cooked and eaten immediately was preserved using salt, which was also a very expensive commodity.

Corned beef was first canned in the early 19th century. The first cans weighed from 2 to 17 pounds, were hand-made and the food took up to six hours to cook. This made tinned food too expensive for ordinary people and the main market was the Army and Navy. However, by the 1860s smaller machine-made cans were available and the cooking time had been reduced to thirty minutes. The now traditional tapered can was patented in America by Arthur Libby in 1875.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • purpleheather2810
    Options
    KayofH wrote: »
    I am so glad someone else remembers the Rima grill. I used to have one (lost it in the divorce!) but was beginning to think I'd dreamed it. When the George came out no-one seemed to know what I was talking about!

When I was little we had a Rima. It was bright orange and made awesome cheese and onion toasties :D
    :D Skint but happy with my lovely family :D

Hypnotherapy rocks :j
  • Norman_Bean
    Norman_Bean Posts: 458 Forumite
    Options
    Could someone find the Camping Recipes thread for me please??
    Really not sure why I can never find things when I search for them :(
    Ta Norman x
    Bon App's Scraps!
    :)
    MFb40 # 13
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts