MSE News: Ocado lets down thousands of shoppers

edited 24 June 2011 at 5:27PM in Food Shopping & Groceries
74 replies 12.8K views

Replies

• AmesAmes Forumite
    18.5K Posts
    Maybe I'm missing something, but Crowdity says that it's using the bulk buying power of lots of members to get good deals, and that they only go ahead if a minimum number of people sign up. When I signed up, there was a running count of how many people had.

So how can Ocado then say it was too popular, when it was there on the site for all to see how many people were signing up to it? And why link up with a site which encourages high volumes of take up if the offer was limited?
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Loads of people to blame, but I reckon Ocado were probably annoyed at the amounts of order claiming the discount that consisted of stamps or cigarettes. This just means a quick loss for them.

There appears to be no communication throughout. Crowdity where still whoring away the offer at 21,000 members, and this was at a time where people were placing orders on Ocado. Ultimately the blame may lie with whoever decided to not use single-use codes. The offer may have been profitable for Ocado if they insisted people could only spend it on food (not cheap fags/booze/stamps). So, this is clearly their error if they had decided to say £20 off anything. They may even have honoured it if it was restricted to only Crowdity members, but perhaps they feel it was the straw that broke the donkeys back when the code went viral around the forums.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    What a bloody let down.

:mad:
  • Ames wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something, but Crowdity says that it's using the bulk buying power of lots of members to get good deals, and that they only go ahead if a minimum number of people sign up. When I signed up, there was a running count of how many people had.

So how can Ocado then say it was too popular, when it was there on the site for all to see how many people were signing up to it? And why link up with a site which encourages high volumes of take up if the offer was limited?

33,000 people signed up through crowdity. 33,000 people were emailed by crowdity and had the code made available to them. crowdity issued one code, not individual codes so when ocado hit the limit of 33,000 (and many more) on the first day they had to do withdraw the offer. crowdity messed this up not that youd know it from mse story. according to them it was all ocados fault and nothing to do with crowdity at all! and theres no mention that mse forums were encouraging the abuse of this deal.

crowdity staff and associated staff (quidco staff) have been posting support and praise on the facebook page claiming to be customers!!! i have to say that ocado have come out of this looking professional and upfront and crowdity just look like a joke and an unprofessional one at that! i was surprised by martin lewiss attack on ocado on twitter. he should be more professional. but he seems annoyed that he doesnt have the power that he obviously thinks he should have. bad form!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • edited 25 June 2011 at 5:57PM
    elsiepacelsiepac Forumite, Board Guide
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 June 2011 at 5:57PM
    Hi guys

I'm another one who made sure I signed up, got my code on the evening and then spent a very happy Wednesday and Thursday playing with my Ocado shopping basket to make sure I had a nice balance of stuff to last the week and a couple of treats (after all, it was "free" money!) and supposedly we had until Thursday 30th June!

So I was EXTREMELY P***ED OFF as well when they sent that cr*ppy cancellation email through - what really annoyed me was that Ocado sent NOTHING! I think they should have sent one too!

And to echo the sentiments of many others on here, how DARE they use comments about people signing up only for the offer! What do they expect? Things like that are a calculated risk - yes, a lot of people will do that one shop and never go back, but a percentage will, that's the WHOLE POINT of these offers and introductory deals!

What made it worse is that Crowdity actaully have to get a MINIMUM number of people to take up the deal...no MAXIMUM ever mentioned! It's so totally unfair and I am unbelievably disgusted with Ocado - way to ruin to your previously high reputation in one fell swoop!

Gah!

LC
    I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style, Greenfingered, Energy & Going Out Deals boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

GC: Jan 21 £tbc/£250
    Vegan 27-8-13
  • Kite2010Kite2010 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    At least they didn't do a Littlewoods and allow the orders to be processed only in a few months for you to get demands for using a voucher which wasn't meant for you.
  • Morty_007Morty_007 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Plushchris wrote: »
    I dont understand all those people that are moaning about "having signed up to two sites" to get the offer, if you signed up to both sites then you obviously DID get the offer, you just didnt use it. Why sign up to Ocado once the offers been withdrawn? The landing page on the link would have told you the offer was gone...

I've seen many of these deal come and go and there is ALWAYS a "you snooze you lose" element to them. Thats why I dont understand why people didnt do their shop and use the voucher when they signed up with Ocado (and had got the offer)

Well I signed up to both, logged into Occado immediately and hit the button to use the code....and it wouldn't load the page...at all, no matter what I did so yes, i'm p*ssed off because I DID btry immediately the code came through. I didnt snooze yet I still lost. How fair is that??
    Good Enough Club member number 27(2) AND I got me a stalkee!
    Closet debt free wannabe -[STRIKE] Last personal loan payment - July 2010[/STRIKE]:T, credit card balance about £3000 (and dropping FAST), [STRIKE]Last car payment September 2010 (August 2010 aparently!!)[/STRIKE]
    And a mortgage in a pear tree :D
  • geordie_joegeordie_joe Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    KTM_Gordo wrote: »
    Both of the companies in this are reputable,

That's a matter of opinion, many would disagree with you

so I'm sure they won't be passing on your addresses to the junk-mailers if you unsubscribe.

Well that reassures me no end.
    There's the Data Protection Act for starters,

What good is that when the terms of you signing up state you agree to receive emails from thrid parties? All very legal, you agreed to receiving emails from third parties so no law is broken.
    and you can see what the companies intend doing with personal data on the ICO web site.

What they say they "intend to do" and what they actually do are often different things.
    As I read it, Ocado intended the offer to be for members of a specific site but the code was leaked and widely distributed.

Well, as I read it, you had to join that specific site in order to get the voucher, so it only went to members of that site.
    Companies don't have bottomless pockets, so when the code escaped what else could they do to regain control? I seriously doubt they took the decision lightly.

As I read it, having the code alone was not enough, you had to join the specific site to.

Do you not think the specific site set it up just to attract new members. Do you not think Ocado knew it was to be used as a way of attracting new members to the specific site and to them.

Do you not think the whole thing was set up to attract new people to both sites?

Not that I actually care what you think, you lost me when you said both companies were reputable. In my mind, a company that offers you something, in this case £20, if you do something, then withdraws the deal after you have done your bit, is not in the least reputable.
    Some people missed out, but then again life's not always fair.

I think it was a bit more than some! And it wasn't life being unfair, it was two companies whom many people trusted. They entered into the deal, fulfilled their part and expected the two companies involved to fulfil theirs. It wasn't life that was being unfair, it was those two companies.
    There will be another offer along soon - maybe with Ocado,

But can we trust them again? Even if we do, we have still been cheated on this offer.

If you worked for a week, then your employer said "I'm not paying you this week, but don't worry, there's always next week, if you work then I will pay you for it". How would you feel about that? Would you think Oh well, life's unfair" or would you think your employer was being unfair?
    maybe with another retailer - so it's nothing to get excited about.

I'm sure most people have a word to describe their feelings about being cheated like this, but I bet "excited" isn't the word.
    DPJames wrote: »
    You are never wrong about anything.
  • geordie_joegeordie_joe Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Plushchris wrote: »
    I've seen many of these deal come and go and there is ALWAYS a "you snooze you lose" element to them. Thats why I dont understand why people didnt do their shop and use the voucher when they signed up with Ocado (and had got the offer)

I can't really speak for everyone, but I suspect they didn't use it immediately because they were told it was valid until the 30th of June.
    DPJames wrote: »
    You are never wrong about anything.
  • KGM_2KGM_2 Forumite
    31 Posts
    Tried to find the delete my account button on Crowdity but there isn't one. So I've emailed them.

How convenient that they've massively increased their mailing list and presence through this.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals