MSE News: Ocado lets down thousands of shoppers

edited 24 June 2011 at 5:27PM in Food Shopping & Groceries
74 replies 12.8K views
MSE_ArchnaMSE_Archna Former MSE
1.9K posts
MSE Staff
edited 24 June 2011 at 5:27PM in Food Shopping & Groceries
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Ocado left thousands of users disappointed after offering a '£20 off £40' code and pulling it before many could use it..."

Replies

• Really annoyed by this. Have now given my details to both companies , in order to register, and have had other emails from both throughout the day, but nothing on either site to say deal had been stopped. I have spent all day thinking I had got it wrong when I tried to enter the code, but I guess the moral is if it looks too good to be true it probably is.:mad:
    Will go back to my usual, not perfect but always reliable, internet shopping supermarket !!
  • VoyaVoya Forumite
    11 posts
    Just emailed Crowdity to close my account.
  • I too am rather annoyed by the fact that the offer has been expired early. As with loads of other people i have now given my email and details to two companies to gain the voucher code. I had been hoping to use it this weekend for next weeks shopping.
    I am totally disappointed with Ocado for doing this, as the reason for me signing up with them was to take advantage of the offer, after which they will have gotten my continued orders for home delivery.
    Surely they shouldnt have been allowed to cut short an offer like that??
  • WallyBirdWallyBird Forumite
    236 posts
    What a con! I thought if you had joined up you would get the voucher, that was that! So now loads of junk emails, and the voucher is invalid. Can't even see how to unsubscribe, although I have asked them to do it by email.

Am hopping mad!
  • When will these companies learn that stuff like this on the internet can propagate very quickly.
    They also need to realise that the bad reputation they get will also get around very quickly.
    They would be better off not even bothering.
    I goes back to flights to America for buying a hoover (or was it a free hoover for buying a flight). Tesco pulling a double the difference offer. Now this. Plenty of other between times too.
    I think they would do better to take the hit rather than further damage their reputation.
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    39.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When will these companies learn that stuff like this on the internet can propagate very quickly.
    They also need to realise that the bad reputation they get will also get around very quickly.
    They would be better off not even bothering.
    I goes back to flights to America for buying a hoover (or was it a free hoover for buying a flight). Tesco pulling a double the difference offer. Now this. Plenty of other between times too.
    I think they would do better to take the hit rather than further damage their reputation.

the hoover and flight thing was buy a hoover and get a free flight but they totally under estimated the amopunt of customers who saw it as a free flight for £150(a rough guess)
  • VoyaVoya Forumite
    11 posts
    If there had be a visible cap of say 5000 then that would have been fair enough and if you did not get it then better luck next time. This was a clear case of drawing customers in under false pretences. What the hell did Ocado think was going to happen with an open offer like that? Their business is online based!?!?!? If they are that naive then it is difficult to have any confidence in them.
    I am personally going to vote with my feet (or keyboard tapping fingers) and take my business else where.
    Same for Crowdity I will not be going back there.
  • TiddlywinksTiddlywinks Forumite
    5.8K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am a long time user of Ocado and think they generally offer a fantastic service.

They mis-calculated on this one but those who have not been able to take advantage of the offer have not been outrageously disadvantaged really, have they? Let's get this into perspective.

There is an offer on at the moment to all new customers where you can get £15 off a first order of £75 - voucher code VOU1146975 which is valid until 30/11/11 - I got that from their website (no, I don't work for them). It's not as good as the one that was on offer but, hey ho.....
    :hello:
  • WHAT A DISGRACE ! Ocado should be totally ashamed of themselves. They basically trapped thousands of people in giving them personal details in the registration - and then pulled the plug on their offer. Barely any better than hacking.....

OK someone made a mistake and miscalculated the volumes. I presume that whoever it was has now been fired, as they clearly know nothing about the web. But even so, Ocado should have honoured the offer. They made the mistake, not all the people that signed up.

And they were after new customers...... Well, I cant think of a better way of alienating thousands of potential customers at a single stroke ! I cant trust them now, and I dont see why anyone else would, either
  • DustykittenDustykitten Forumite
    16.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just received an email for 15% off tomorrow so they can't be that pushed in terms of fulfilling deliveries which was the reason they gave for pulling the offer.
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support