MSE News: Ocado lets down thousands of shoppers

edited 24 June 2011 at 5:27PM in Food Shopping & Groceries
74 replies 12.8K views

Replies

• I have unsubscribed from Crowdity. Load of tosh about they couldnt continue with the offer. What about the Bodyshop offer a few weeks ago that MSE promoted with Groupon? Although there was a cost to this there was a huge take up of it and Bodyshop and Groupon didnt carry on like Ocado or Crowdity.:mad:
    I have every possession I want. I have a lot of friends who have a lot more possessions. But in some cases I feel the possessions possess them, rather than the other way round
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe what Ocado are saying about being flooded with orders. If you go to https://www.ocado.com/crowdity, you see a page saying the £20 off £40 offer is expired, but "click here for the new offer", and are offered a code for £20 off a £75 shop.

Bad show.
  • 69chick69chick Forumite
    544 Posts
    I managed to get an order in quick enough to use the voucher, however have just been onto my account and notice that on the ocado website it is saying that the crowdity offer has now expired and anyone placing a new 'or amending an existing' order will not be able to use it!! I luckily went in last night to put an order in to cover the £40 min but was going to go back in during the week to no doubt add more stuff, but this means I daren't do anything to it...thats a bit mean considering many people probably like me go in and change orders up till the night before...I bet they are hoping that people will do just that, especially if they quickly went in and threw anything into their basket just to get to the £40 with a view to coming back later and odering what they actually want..

I do realise I am lucky (if it works after all) to have got in before it was pulled but thought I had better mention the amending thing in case anyone goes in to do that and hasn't seen that message...
    Starting with Avon C6 target sales £150.00
  • michaelsmichaels Forumite
    25.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I replied to the email asking to unsubscribe but got no acknowledgement - how do you do this properly? Are they in breach of the data protection act by collecting info under false pretences? Are the people behind quico and hotukdeals behind crowdity?

If they had really wanted to do this offer why didn't they generate individual codes for each person?

I have unsubscribed from Crowdity. Load of tosh about they couldnt continue with the offer. What about the Bodyshop offer a few weeks ago that MSE promoted with Groupon? Although there was a cost to this there was a huge take up of it and Bodyshop and Groupon didnt carry on like Ocado or Crowdity.:mad:
    I think....
  • I believe this is an appalling thing to do! Not just for Ocado but Crowdity as well. If there had been a limit set on the offer from the outset then thats fair but to cut it off after just one day, it is terrible!

I for one will not be using Crowdity or Ocado again, and will do my everything to make sure my email address is removed from their databases. Crowdity may be a fairly new company but they could learn greatly from such people as Keynoir who limit there offers to a first come first serve basis so this doesn't happen!

Not a happy customer at all and I feel for MSE. There was no need to apologise as you never pulled the rug out from under our feet. You do nothing but help us all who love a little bargain hunting and it was a very good item to post in the newsletter, just appalled that Ocado backed out of it!
  • cjb02cjb02 Forumite
    608 Posts
    Very disappointed. feel scammed by crowdity and ocado
  • RudessRudess Forumite
    197 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Voya wrote: »
    Just emailed Crowdity to close my account.

You can do it yourself. Go to the last email you got from them, in the bottom you will have UNSUBSCRIBE, click on this and then in the new window click on UNSUBSCRIBE FROM ALL. That's it, you will never hear from these clowns again.
  • geordie_joegeordie_joe Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rudess wrote: »
    You can do it yourself. Go to the last email you got from them, in the bottom you will have UNSUBSCRIBE, click on this and then in the new window click on UNSUBSCRIBE FROM ALL. That's it, you will never hear from these clowns again.

Or maybe they will just take your hitting that link as a validation that you used a "proper" email address.

And/or they will unsubscribe you, and move your email address to the list of emails they intend to sell to any scammer willing to buy it.
    DPJames wrote: »
    You are never wrong about anything.
  • KTM_GordoKTM_Gordo Forumite
    106 Posts
    Or maybe they will just take your hitting that link as a validation that you used a "proper" email address.

And/or they will unsubscribe you, and move your email address to the list of emails they intend to sell to any scammer willing to buy it.
    Both of the companies in this are reputable, so I'm sure they won't be passing on your addresses to the junk-mailers if you unsubscribe. There's the Data Protection Act for starters, and you can see what the companies intend doing with personal data on the ICO web site.

As I read it, Ocado intended the offer to be for members of a specific site but the code was leaked and widely distributed. Companies don't have bottomless pockets, so when the code escaped what else could they do to regain control? I seriously doubt they took the decision lightly.

Some people missed out, but then again life's not always fair. There will be another offer along soon - maybe with Ocado, maybe with another retailer - so it's nothing to get excited about.
  • edited 25 June 2011 at 2:43AM
    SCRAGTAGSCRAGTAG Forumite
    3 Posts
    edited 25 June 2011 at 2:43AM
    This is yet another kick in the teeth, once again didn't get any of the Olympic tickets I wanted. Now this, very depressing Friday indeed! :(
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides