Home Delivery Network - warning!

Options

Comments

• Ste_1
    Options
    Thanks to HDN my partner has just had her order from Asos refunded as they tried to deliver, and no one collected from the depot.

However her dad works nights and she's in 6 days a week, and they also didn't leave a note.

So either they never tried to deliver and found an easy way to clear the back log or they did and forgot to put a note through.

Either way they failed.
  • Steve__M_3
    Options
    dje109 wrote: »
    I ordered many items from Amazon before christmas. All the ones sent by Royal Mail arrived fine. The one item sent by HDNL still has yet to arrive, despite the fact that according to the order tracking facility on Amazon's website, the parcel left the Carlisle depot on three seperate days to be delivered but was then scanned back into the depot at the end of each day. On all those days I was in all day, and the Royal Mail managed to deliver. No word from HDNL, no card through my letter box. So what is going on? My parcel is put in a van on each of those days and just driven around for the fresh air, before being returned to the depot? To Amazon's credit, I rang them today and they are resending the goods. Too late for my godson's xmas though...

My partner is a driver, and was put under pressure by the managers to "empty the depot" each day. Apparently it looks good for the managers, even if it's more work loading and unloading for the driver as well as being of no benefit to the customer.
  • Steve__M_3
    Options
    I have the same problems, useless if you ask me!!!

I have joined a group on facebook called "HDNL are !!!!ing useless" - Sums them up perfectly

Had my parcel for 4 days and still not out fro delivery... Kids won't be getting presents this year :(

Do you live at an "awkward" address (eg. flat with an intercom, farm, countryside, house with a name rather than a number). Or was the weather bad (around where I was, half the staff couldn't make it in on the Tuesday before Christmas due to icy roads, and it's not got much better since then).

Route drivers can pick and choose what to take, and when it is busy they'll take what's easiest. Sometimes they leave the difficult ones for the poor "relief" driver who works when the route driver is off or picks up what's left.

Probably Christmas shopping should be done a bit earlier (says the man who usually does his on Christmas Eve).
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Steve__M wrote: »
    My partner is a driver, and was put under pressure by the managers to "empty the depot" each day. Apparently it looks good for the managers, even if it's more work loading and unloading for the driver as well as being of no benefit to the customer.

oh yes same for RM
    "why are you not taking those packets?"
    "i wont have time"
    "take them anyway"
    "but i will just be bringing them back undelivered"
    "just take them out"
  • sarah_elton
    sarah_elton Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The only reason I don't like companies using HDNL is that my depot is a 45 minute drive away, so it's a 90 minute round trip to pick anything up! The Parcelforce depot is only 20 mins away.

I always give an instruction of "Leave outside front door of flat (not outside building)" Delivery drivers can get into my building before noon, and I'm on the top floor with just one other flat - it's totally safe, but it's hit and miss whether the instruction gets followed.

I have a regular quarterly delivery of wine that comes via HDNL. Was always left for me. In October they wouldn't, saying the shop now insisted on a signature. So after traipsing off on the long drive I swore I'd cancel the service. Totally forgot and the next case came last week... And was left as per the instruction. :rolleyes:

I just WISH courier companies would wake up to the fact people need delivery outside 9-5 Monday to Friday! I quite happily pay extra on delivery charges for Saturday delivery when it's offered.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The only reason I don't like companies using HDNL is that my depot is a 45 minute drive away, so it's a 90 minute round trip to pick anything up! The Parcelforce depot is only 20 mins away.

I always give an instruction of "Leave outside front door of flat (not outside building)" Delivery drivers can get into my building before noon, and I'm on the top floor with just one other flat - it's totally safe, but it's hit and miss whether the instruction gets followed.

I have a regular quarterly delivery of wine that comes via HDNL. Was always left for me. In October they wouldn't, saying the shop now insisted on a signature. So after traipsing off on the long drive I swore I'd cancel the service. Totally forgot and the next case came last week... And was left as per the instruction. :rolleyes:

I just WISH courier companies would wake up to the fact people need delivery outside 9-5 Monday to Friday! I quite happily pay extra on delivery charges for Saturday delivery when it's offered.

most do,whether your supplier offers is another matter
  • Forris
    Forris Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options

QUOTE]

Leaving a parcel without a signature, even at the customer's request, is at the discretion of the driver. Even if a company allows you to add this message to a parcel, if the parcel went missing the sender could still make a claim against the courier company. Also, the driver may not be able to get to you by noon, and then will not be able to gain entry.
  • James123_2
    Options
    Interesting posts. A quick google seems to confirm that HDNL can be a problem for many.
    I thought I was merely unlucky when I ordered a TV from Tesco in December. This tracked as being out for delivery - but never arrived. I gave up after a few days and got a refund from Tesco.
    I tried again with Amazon last week & ordered the same TV. All was going well (again out for delivery) until the tracking displayed that there had been a failed delivery attempt. Both my wife and I had full view of our drive and were in all day. There was no attempt at delivery. I can only think that HDN pull this stunt if there simply isn't time left in the day to deliver. This is a shame as I will now have to rethink any future Amazon purchases - and I use them for most items as I'm housebound much of the time.
  • edwardo60
    edwardo60 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 5 March 2010 at 11:54PM
    Options
    I ordered a freesat box from john lewis , they have free delivery , but they use HDNL the delivery was supposed to be with-in five days , but after this period had passed i rung john lewis & was told it had been delivered & signed for, but it was not signed for by anyone at the address it was supposed to be delivered at, john lewis have asked for a driver interview, but HDNL have declinded to reply to john lewis's requests. i understand its not john lewis's fault & they have tried to be as helpfull as they can, but i get the impression its the customer that has to prove there innocence.
    I have had other items delivered from a major shopping channel via HDNL and there delivery drivers seem to have an attitude, and most drivers dont where any uniforms . i wish these major retailers would use more relaible delivery services instead of cutting corners.
  • Ifan
    Ifan Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    A couple of months ago John Lewis sent us a TV. The HD driver drove past our entrance, went down to a farm and stuck in snow and ice. He was stuck for hours. This month I had a delivery from Amazon. HD sent it straight back to Amazon as undeliverable. I cannot get it now. Neither firm wants any communication. Beware!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure