We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Unoffical Existing Customer Balance Transfers

Options

Comments

• neiluk
    Options
    Just phoned A&L CC (run by MBNA) and asked them to cancel my card (it has a zero balance) and they offered to drop the rate to 9.9%.

Note to self - must start moaning more!!!
  • mor7s_2
    mor7s_2 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Just put in a call to Halifax for a possible repeat offer on my ONE card where the 0% ran out last month.

Was offered either 2.95% for 6 months or 5.94% life of balance so politely declined each, do have 0% on purchases til end of July so didn't close down card just yet.

From reading other posts it seems Halifax are one of the less generous on repeat offers so don't hold out much hope of a different outcome next time I call (why did I close that Abbey MBNA card again 12 months ago :confused: )

mor7s
  • DJ1UK
    DJ1UK Posts: 371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mor7s wrote: »
    (why did I close that Abbey MBNA card again 12 months ago :confused: )

mor7s

You can reapply for another MBNA card - Virgin may be a good one.

Think MBNA need only 6 months between cards - though might be wrong ?

DJ
  • mor7s_2
    mor7s_2 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    But aren't the bal xfer fees uncapped these days? The card i had had a £75 max and i was a stooszing newbie and foollishly cancelled. :mad:
  • tipsychick
    tipsychick Posts: 615 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mor7s wrote: »
    But aren't the bal xfer fees uncapped these days? The card i had had a £75 max and i was a stooszing newbie and foollishly cancelled. :mad:

MBNA can change the amount of the BT fee at their discretion. Just because it was £75 max at one point on your old MBNA card, wouldn't have stopped them increasing it to 2-3% for a future BT. I think DJ1UK is right - it's about six months before you can apply for a new MBNA run card.

Most of the providers have really tightened things up in the last year or so. I think they're attempting to claw back the money that they're haemorrhaging from people reclaiming unfair bank/credit card fees.

Have a look at this site:

http://www.stoozing.com/index.htm

It's a temple to all things stoozing and the card tables will show you which providers still have 0% deals with no fees!
  • tipsychick
    Options
    The best that I could get on my Lloyds Amex Reward card was 4.9% for six months with a 3% fee or 7.9% LOB. Really went round the houses but no one was budging!

Neither are any good for me so I've shut the card down.
  • ktvl69
    Options
    Hi,

I love my Amazon credit card as I've had £35 of vouchers. The 0% rate has finished and I didn't want to damage my credit rating, so I followed Martins advice and phoned them to ask what they could do for me.

They offered me:

0% on transfers til 30th September 2007 with a 3% transfer fee (offer available til 31/05)

AND

9.95% on new purchases

Thank you Martin
  • fruitbat_2
    Options
    I called Lloyds 10 days ago to close my account (£0 balance) and was offered a couple of rates, neither of which interested me. However, when I got through to the account closure department I was offered a fee free 0% for 6 months. Oh and they're not charging for having an account (this is probably old news by now) All of which is great news as I was about to switch cards anyway!
  • paradoxia
    paradoxia Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    Crazy Lloyds offered me nothing a few weeks ago so I closed they wouldn't even offer 0% with a free!!
  • tipsychick
    Options
    Have just come to the end of my Post Office 0% deal. A number might be in this situation if they took advantage of th 0% with no fee deal that they were running last autumn.

Rang to close the card (run by the Bank of Ireland) and was offered three months extra at 0% with no BT fee by their Retentions/Closures Dept!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport