LPG / LPG prices (merged)

Replies

• abigbillabigbill Forumite
    26 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Can you say for the benefit of all what you now pay?

Thus:

Please, for all to see, can you supply your :

1. PPL (pence per litre)
    2. rental per month or year
    3. Where you are, rates seem to depend on what they think they can get away with and distance from sea ports, piplines too.
    4. Supplier Name

If you do, I'll tell you how to deal with your contracted price- in my experience. Your post does not pool knowledge, just asks for it. Give a little, get a lot. Give nothing, get nothing. Would that be fair?
  • frankiefrankie Forumite
    820 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    Forumite
    I pay 41 ppl for Calor in a bulk tank.

I'm not in a contract, I refuse to be bound by theses rip off merchants!

I'm waiting for the long time coming report on domestic lpg fuel de-regulation before committing to anything long term.
  • dlyndlyn Forumite
    16 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    With the latest increase (wef. 9/07/08) I'm paying 46ppl.
    Tank rental £63. pa.
    Lancashire.
    Shellgas.

I'm about to try to negotiate a better price as it's gone up from 27ppl since last October - I think that's a 70% increase in 8 months! If abigbill or anyone else has any tips to negotiate with I'd be grateful.

If I get any reduction I will write again.
  • busybirdbusybird Forumite
    46 Posts
    abigbill wrote: »
    Can you say for the benefit of all what you now pay?

Thus:

Please, for all to see, can you supply your :

1. PPL (pence per litre)
    2. rental per month or year
    3. Where you are, rates seem to depend on what they think they can get away with and distance from sea ports, piplines too.
    4. Supplier Name

If you do, I'll tell you how to deal with your contracted price- in my experience. Your post does not pool knowledge, just asks for it. Give a little, get a lot. Give nothing, get nothing. Would that be fair?

Regarding your request 'for all to see' I have no problem with imparting information, although I do slightly resent the comment that I am not pooling knowledge, just asking for it; I was merely interested in learning if anyone else had experienced the same whilst in contract with a supplier. Indeed, on some of the other posts, I have hopefully provided helpful info without asking for anything back, such is the nature of forums, I believe. However, FYI I am currently paying 26.9ppl before VAT and the tank standing charge is a daily rate of 16.90 before VAT. My supplier is Calor. Don't worry about providing me with the info of how to deal with the contracted price - I have already had some good advice from the Consumer Council, who confirm it would be breach of contract, so if you dont mind I will decline to give my location, as if this does become a legal issue, as I will certainly be suing, should the contract be breached, I would prefer not to be identified by the supplier at this junction. I trust you consider this 'fair'.
  • SallyDSallyD Forumite
    1K Posts
    Uniform Washer
    On verge of putting offer in on a brand new two bedroomed bungalow on a small housing estate. I am told the gas is on meter supplied from large underground tanks which is used by the whole estate Calor Gas is the provider. Now,I have no knowledge of propane heating whatsoever, so am interested to read this thread.

My thoughts now are that although I would be metered I will also have to pay a service charge but would be locked in with Calor and will never have an option to shop around for the best price.

If I choose a non-estate property with its own gas tank it is locked in with the provider of the tank? and to change supplier will probably have to have their tank/connection at a cost and I also have to pay a monthly charge!

Also, it strikes me you are all unhappy about the prices.

I was banking on the fact that the house is brand new, double glazed with well insulated underfloor and roof which would reduce the heating costs considerable............I am now wondering if this really is the case - would really appreciate your thoughts.
    SallyD
    46 Posts
    Not sure if my reply will be much use to you, but can certainly give you the benefit of my limited experience. When we moved to this property, it was already being supplied by Flogas, and there was no option because mains gas did not run near our property, and almost five years ago we were quoted something ridiculous like £39,500 to get mains gas, which of course was not an option. Flogas advised us that the tank had to be renewed as it was past its sell by date basically, but as regs had changed and the tank had to be visible from the road, the tank would have to be moved - at our expense! We declined this arrangement and went with Calor. (We still had to pay to re-site the tank, but not as much as Flogas were quoting). This house is over 100 years old, does not have cavity walls and basically apart from good loft insulation, has little going for it to help conserve energy. Our previous house (which was a brand new self build) was very energy efficient and admittedly we were on mains, was extremely economical. The houses are about the same size, but even allowing for the energy efficiency issue, the cost is far greater on LPG. I think the fact it is a new house will make a big difference, but unless the gap between the price of mains and the price of LPG has closed any, I expect you will still have a hefty fuel bill in comparison to mains.
    Not sure if this helps any, but unfortunately, we are fairly rural and didnt have a choice of fuel, except maybe go for oil, but again new tank etc. and no guarantees there on prices.
    46 Posts
    Sorry, my post might have been misleading regarding new regs - I meant to say the tank had to be visible from the filling vessel - which in our case was out on the road!
  • I am new to this forum and I it does nota ppear that I can start my own thread so I hope this is not too irrelevent.

Does any one here know about how the dollar affects LPG prices. My supplier is Flogas and when I complained about continuing high prices which have occured despite the fall in world oil prices they blamed the high price of the dollar. If this is the case I need to know the reason why if LPG is affected by the currency market that petrol is not affected in the same way? Thought that someone on here may be able to give some answers as there does not seem to be much available information on this.

It is important that us consumers have a better understanding of the factors that affect the LPG gas price as many of us are tied into contracts that only allow the price to vary in accordance with market conditions. There does not seem to be too many authorities around that are willing to enlighten us on these things. No wonder they can get away with blue murder......
  • There seems to be no competition
    I phoned J Gas who quoted 38p against Calor at 39p but these prices were set when oil was more than 2x current prices

I argued with Calor, my current supplier and was offered an immediate 2.5 p discount on next delivery :j

I emailed Calor twice they ignored the first one and the advised that
    1 they had bought ahead to be sure of supplies:mad: ( do they really think we believe that)
    2 the pound had dropped against the dollar :mad: (but still oil is much cheaper in £ and $ than it was when price LPG was set)

But I remain coinvinced that significant profieering and uncompetitive practice is going on. even if there is no evidence yet of collusion betweeen suppliers

So there is scope to argue for a discount and if enough people phone and do it there may finally be a reduction in price
  • Stop press - Don't sign contracts until you read
    If I have read it correctly, as of 13th April 2009 suppliers of domestic LPG will HAVE to hand over their tank/pipes to a new supplier if you switch. This is as a result of the Competition Comission investigation.

I was about to sign my Flogas contract, but no way now! (48p p/L inc surcharge 6000L PA Somerset). We will have to see how these greedy B's try to get round this and continue to fix the market but it has to be a good start - I'm shopping around.:beer:

I got my info at
    http://www.lpg-solutions.co.uk/existingdomestic.html
    But I'm sure there are going to be lots of other switching agents jumping on the banwaggon to help customs switch.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals