LPG / LPG prices (merged)

Replies

• Thank you paceinternet.
  • Hi,

We recently moved into a rented bungalow in SouthEast, supplied by Calor, and informed by the rental company that this would be cheaper than standard gas supply. We'd previously been in a large flat in a coverted Georgian Grade 2 listed building, larger than the bungalow, and was paying approx £60 a month gas DD.

So now comes the shocking part, we filled up the Calor tank, as it was practically empty, and they put 1152 units in it, at 47.6p per unit, bill came to a very large £575. We thought this would last us almost a year, 6 weeks later gas ran out.

Would you expect to use that amount of gas in 6 weeks, we've got a small 3 bedroom bugalow, the gas is used for central heating, water, and cooker, have the heating on 22 degrees 24hrs a day, as we've got an 11month old.

Now i know we're probably a reasonably heavy as the property is always occupied and so heating needs to be constantly on, and we're in middle of winter, but i couldn't believe it when we got through the tank. I'd expect maybe £100 a month, but that usage just seemed outrageous, even if we left the temperature at 30, i'd never have thought you'd get through so much.

Anyone ever experienced anything similar or just tell me whether this is an expected amount to use? As we may only use tiny amount in summer, and it might even out a bit, although at this rate, we going to have beaten our previous properties yearly standard gas costs, in 2 months!

Calor said to me they were going to send out a gas consumption engineer to check our appliances, so we'll see how that goes.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  • freakinfreakin Forumite
    34 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    outofgas wrote: »
    Hi,

We recently moved into a rented bungalow in SouthEast, supplied by Calor, and informed by the rental company that this would be cheaper than standard gas supply. We'd previously been in a large flat in a coverted Georgian Grade 2 listed building, larger than the bungalow, and was paying approx £60 a month gas DD.

So now comes the shocking part, we filled up the Calor tank, as it was practically empty, and they put 1152 units in it, at 47.6p per unit, bill came to a very large £575. We thought this would last us almost a year, 6 weeks later gas ran out.

Would you expect to use that amount of gas in 6 weeks, we've got a small 3 bedroom bugalow, the gas is used for central heating, water, and cooker, have the heating on 22 degrees 24hrs a day, as we've got an 11month old.

Now i know we're probably a reasonably heavy as the property is always occupied and so heating needs to be constantly on, and we're in middle of winter, but i couldn't believe it when we got through the tank. I'd expect maybe £100 a month, but that usage just seemed outrageous, even if we left the temperature at 30, i'd never have thought you'd get through so much.

Anyone ever experienced anything similar or just tell me whether this is an expected amount to use? As we may only use tiny amount in summer, and it might even out a bit, although at this rate, we going to have beaten our previous properties yearly standard gas costs, in 2 months!

Calor said to me they were going to send out a gas consumption engineer to check our appliances, so we'll see how that goes.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

When i moved in i was using 4 x 47kg bottles of gas every three weeks at a cost of approx £130 (3 bed semi) the house wouldnt get hot and it only ran the boiler about 6 hours a day and the hob.

We had an old boiler so i decided to replace the boiler with a modern condensing type. It turned out the old boiler wasnt an LPG one but a natural gas one, (LPG has about 2x the calorific value of NG) in effect it was pumping twice the amount of gas in as it should have.

The effect of replacing this has meant i now use 2 x 47KG bottles every 4 weeks, though the cost of fuel means this is now £85
  • Thanks for that, i'll check whether the boiler is an LPG one, probably best first move.

Just also spoke to my letting agency, they informed me that'll i can only get out of the contract after 6months, so we'll be moving out for next winter if this doesn't get resolved.
  • The wholesale cost of LPG can be found on the Platts.com website. Follow these links -
    Platts.com/Create Chart/Petrochemicals/LPG/Europe:Mideast:Africa/Propane NWE FOB ARA.
    This gives the price in "$US per metric tonne.
    There are approx 1985 litres in a metric tonne
    Without paying a fee the chart is free to view, but not the last 6 weeks, which can be viewed by subscription.
    You can view the price change over the last year.
    Hope this may help those reading this with a calculator to negotiate a better deal with your suppliers.
    PS You can buy your own LPG tank, but there are specific requirements tobe adherred to for safety reasons
  • Hi LPG Architect (why the name?)

I can't get your link to work, or find a chart in platts.

Anyone know a lpg price source - pref UK.

I am paying £80 for 2x47kg - not come down at all yet. Other experiences please?
  • Hi LPG Architect (why the name?)

I can't get your link to work, or find a chart in platts.

Anyone know a lpg price source - pref UK.

I am paying £80 for 2x47kg - not come down at all yet. Other experiences please?

Just tried the Platts.com web site before penning this and is up and running fine. You must have made an error accessing it - the link is correct. FYI the wholesale LPG price at the beginning of Nov 08 (latest date for free data) was 19 pence per litre or US$550 per metric tonne and this price has been dropping.
    LPG Architect
  • Hi,
    The link does not work for me niether.
    Platts.com/Create Chart/Petrochemicals/LPG/Europe:Mideast:Africa/Propane NWE FOB ARA.
    Maybe you could repost the link and we can try again.

Thanks.
  • Hi,
    The link does not work for me niether.
    Maybe you could repost the link and we can try again.

Thanks.

Go to Platts.com and open front web page.
    See on righthand side of page graph annotated "Create Chart" click on this and then pick the headings as listed above once opened, i.e. Petrochemicals from the first list - this will take you to the next list. From this second list pick LPG. This will take you to the next list. From this third list pick Europe Mideast Africa. Finally from the last list pick Propane NWE FOB ARA. The chart will appear - Hey Presto!
  • Hi,
    I followed your instructions, but I get the following:

The page you requested is available only to registered users.
    Register or login below.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals