MSE News: O2 to hike broadband prices

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
88 replies 12.9K views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The communications giant is increasing its internet costs in April by almost £50 a year in some cases ..."
Read the full story:
O2 to hike broadband prices

OfficialStamp.gif

Replies

• sfrysfry Forumite
    114 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    At the moment my O2 bill is £2.55 monthly and I have received an email stating that it is going up to £9.50 monthly.

This is an increase of £83 per year!!

Time for some negotiations with them :eek:
  • tifotifo Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    sfry wrote: »
    At the moment my O2 bill is £2.55 monthly

How did you get that?

I've been with them for nearly 2 years so might cancel now as it's not value for money, even after the 'customer discount' of £5 which I get.
  • sfrysfry Forumite
    114 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    tifo wrote: »
    How did you get that?

I've been with them for nearly 2 years so might cancel now as it's not value for money, even after the 'customer discount' of £5 which I get.

At the end of my first year contract I rang up and threatened to leave. They offered to reduce my bill to £5.00 monthly which I accepted.

For some reason, I don't know why, after that I was billed £2.50 a month which after the VAT increase became £2.55 a month.

I will shortly be out of contract again and hopefully in a good position to negotiate.
  • mmlhmmlh Forumite
    248 posts
    Great, just as my 6 months free broadband comes to an end! Isn't there a get-out early clause like with mobile phone contracts when there's a price increase?
  • Don't forget that under the terms and conditions, you are allowed to exit your contract early due to these pricing changes, regardless of how long is left.

I spoke to a nice lady at O2 who tried to convince me to stay, but I was on the old Unlimited 8Mb package and the new equivalent was £12.50/month and only had 100GB of transfer included.

I grabbed my MAC code and am moving to Sky, so fingers crossed the service and speeds are still good.

I use a lot of online backup software and on-demand TV services, so the 100GB would have probably not done me either.

Good luck everyone that moves - I think there will be a lot of you!
  • Just to quote the broadband price increase page on the O2 website: http://broadband.o2.co.uk/home/pca.jsp
    Your options:

1. The new prices will take effect from your first bill date after 31 March 2011.
    2. We do have some newer home broadband packages, designed around the way you use the internet. Find out more, call 0800 130 0005.

If you haven't already, you may also be able to take advantage of our home phone line rental at £7.50 at month.
    3. We believe we offer a fantastic value for money broadband and home phone service. However you can leave without penalty if you tell us within 30 days of receiving your price change notification letter or email. Call 0800 230 0202 and choose option 1 (Home Broadband), 5 (Leaving O2), then 2 (Leaving O2). If you don’t contact us before 31st March 2011 then the new prices will take effect from your first bill date after that.
  • mmlhmmlh Forumite
    248 posts
    Digiguru wrote: »
    I spoke to a nice lady at O2 who tried to convince me to stay, but I was on the old Unlimited 8Mb package and the new equivalent was £12.50/month and only had 100GB of transfer included.

I grabbed my MAC code and am moving to Sky, so fingers crossed the service and speeds are still good.
    Can't you stay on the old package though? I heard about other people ringing O2 about the price rise on old packages and they were allowed to stay at round about the same cost they pay now. I'm considering Sky as well but reviews don't look good and my family are always moaning about the O2 connection being poor even thought they're supposedly the best.
  • StuieUK34StuieUK34 Forumite
    2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    we had an email about 20 days ago, saying the cost was going up 25p per month......
    so as o2 sucks, could we get out of contract (in it until October) ???
    I want out as i need a broadband line in my house, not a 'internet connection with restrictions of speed when it comes to using broadband for whatever purpose you want', ie, games.....
  • QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    StuieUK34 wrote: »
    we had an email about 20 days ago, saying the cost was going up 25p per month......
    so as o2 sucks, could we get out of contract (in it until October) ???

Your 25p/month increase isn't outside the increase allowed under the contract ts + cs, so you cannot use this increase to get out of the contract.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support