o2 price increase

Options

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Shrimply wrote: »
    We've had O2 broadband for around 18 months at £7.50 a month, just phoned up to request a MAC, as it seems O2 have been discounting the same package if you ......
    Capture-7.jpg

I never told them I was going to leave, just that I was looking at other options because of the price increase.

When you asked for a MAC they (not unreasonably) have taken this to mean you want to stop getting o2 bb and go elsewhere!
  • Shrimply
    Shrimply Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    But I don't have to use the MAC, its fine as long as they don't try to cut me off or something, just seems inappropriate to put up such a message until I've actually used the MAC with another provider.
  • Quentin
    Options
    Not inappropriate - once you use a MAC it's going to be too late to change anything.

Of all the things to grumble about over this price rise, your complaint that they have taken you phoning up for a MAC to mean you want to leave is clutching at straws!

You say you are "concerned" to get the message from them, so maybe you'd be better taking them up and phoning the free number they have given you to make your "concern" official!
  • Shrimply
    Shrimply Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You know what, you came across as really arrogant there. I'm sorry if If I've upset you by expressing my concern.

And just because you request a MAC doesn't mean you are leaving, and considering I got an email through to tell me I was going to be disconnected on the 19th of February, I would suggest my concern was justified.

I did phone up and found out the request for the MAC had been put through the system incorrectly and the disconnection request was removed from my account while the MAC remained active.

I was also offered the standard £2.50 a month off for a new 12 month contract which I accepted and am happy with.
  • Quentin
    Options
    Shrimply wrote: »
    You know what, you came across as really arrogant there.

Why the personal abuse?

I haven't said what I feel you have come across as, just addressed your "concern", which was mainly unnecessary! They gave you a number to ring if they were wrong and you didn't want to leave!

When you rang it you sorted the issue - what more could they do?
  • Daisy
    Daisy Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    I'm currently paying £7.50 a month for O2 unlimited broadband and pay line rental to BT. After reading about the price change to O2 and with the fact that I don't really make calls on my landline, I decided it's a lot to pay just to have an internet connection, so I decided to cancel my landline, reduce my iplayer viewing, get a mobile dongle and use my mobile more in wifi hotspots.

I have just phoned O2 and told them I was cancelling my broadband because I was cancelling my landline and they straightaway offered me O2 line rental at £7.50 a month for 12 months and completely free broadband for 12 months (although at the lower 20GB download). This means I'm saving around £11 a month which is brilliant. It also means (and I asked this), I don't have to top up my mobile every three months to get a £5 discount. I'm really pleased!
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    People seem to be getting the best retention offers if they agree to go onto a new, traffic managed package. I'm just wondering what traffic management would mean for me, would it be liveable with for torrents and iplayer, or am I best pushing for a deal on my existing legacy package?
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    Options
    rev_henry wrote: »
    People seem to be getting the best retention offers if they agree to go onto a new, traffic managed package. I'm just wondering what traffic management would mean for me, would it be liveable with for torrents and iplayer, or am I best pushing for a deal on my existing legacy package?

It might be detrimental to you, but only time, and shaping/throttling would tell
  • danmanchester
    Options
    Oh well I decided to call retentions and see what they would offer, spoke to a nice lady and the best they could offer me was 3 months free broadband to keep me - and that was on condition that I signed to one of the new packages for 12 months.

No thanks. Told her that Sky are offering 3 months free broadband to new customers anyway, then she tried to tell me (she checked apparently ahem) that Sky's "Unlimited" download package is only 2GB, that's when I knew she was just clutching at straws lol

I then said I wished to proceed with the MAC request tyvm...and was told I'd have to pay a penalty for the Home Phone which still had 2 months left to run on contract. By this time I was just getting annoyed that they were being deliberately awkward. Anyway, after being passed on to someone else from the Homephone team it was "agreed" that they would waive any "leaving early penalty fees" for the phone/line rental. Which was very nice of them *insert eye rolling smiley here*

Received my MAC key within 15 minutes of ending call :)

It was good while it lasted, almost 3 years with O2 but price rising to £34.75pm (HomeBroadband Pro + HomePhone Anytime) compared to Sky's £21.25pm (Unlimited Broadband+Sky Talk and line rental) definitely worth a punt. Oh by the way Sky never mentioned anything about a set up fee either, maybe I got lucky, not sure but on their site it does say a setup fee "may apply".
  • emc
    emc Posts: 256 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Received my MAC key within 15 minutes of ending call :)

It was good while it lasted, almost 3 years with O2 ... Sky never mentioned anything about a set up fee either, maybe I got lucky, not sure but on their site it does say a setup fee "may apply".
    Dan, It's a bit surprising that O2 did not seem to want to retain your custom.

Following O2's letter about the broadband price increase at the end of March, I rang for a MAC, and was asked to stay with them. I insisted on keeping my legacy package, and eventually was offered 6 months' free broadband, which has the added advantage that I do not need to top up my O2 payg sim with £10 every 3 months for those 6 months to qualify for the £5 monthly discount.

I have found O2 broadband and customer service to be excellent, and so am content to stay with them. This also avoids the hassle of changing provider, with possible set up charges, getting and installing a new modem/router etc, although there may be incentives from the new provider, such as 4 months' free with Plus Net.

I would definitely recommend people who are satisfied with O2 to call them for a MAC and see what sort of discount they can get, even if it is just the 'standard' £2.50 reduction per month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure