o2 price increase

Options

Comments

• Sponge
    Sponge Posts: 834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, if you do nothing you remain on the (standard) legacy package, with no change to download limits, no implementation of traffic management, but a substantial (% wise) price increase.

If you don't like the price hike and want to stick with O2 then negotiate a new deal, like you say. You will get the opportunity to choose a new package at a new price, with new limits and traffic management. Although some claim to have done this and stay on their legacy package.

I don't think it's wrong to compare Standard vs The Basics, Premium vs All Rounder and Pro vs The Works. And if you do that, you are losing the unlimited download (implementation of 20gb limit).
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 18 February 2011 at 7:18PM
    Options
    You can stay where you are and get a discount in return for a new 12 month contract.

eg £7.66 now for unlimited is going to £9.50, but they will give you 6 months free if you extend your contract another 12 months from now.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 18 February 2011 at 7:19PM
    Options
    divadwem1 wrote: »
    For an o2 customer unlimited download which was £7.66 will mean changing packages thus going up to £12.25 a 60% price hike!!

If you on £7.66 now that is going up to £9.50 (before any discount - 6 free months seems the norm for a new 12 month contract) not £12.25!

No need to change package!
  • divadwem1
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Why are you spamming the board with this incorrect message?

They aren't making the unlimited download "disappear".

The "basic" package is a new one. If you want to stay on the unlimited one you don't need to do anything (except maybe try for a sweetener by saying you want a MAC because of the price rise!)

Thanks for the info. I had asked o2 for confirmation of what my new charges would be as the web page they linked to from their email did not show details of my package. The revised information only showed the new packages with no mention of staying on the existing one. I can only assume they quoted me wrong info.
  • danmanchester
    Options
    Hmmm I'm in the same boat, on the top package: £17.87 Broadband Pro/£12.77 Home Phone Anytime. So my monthly bill will go from £30.64 to £34.75. That's quite a % jump!

Not sure what to do (if anything) yet, and looking around all the alternative providers it looks like Sky's Unlimited Broadband with calls and line rental at £21.25 does seem very tempting. So tempting in fact it looks too good to be true.

Is anyone here actually on that Sky unlimited broadband/phone deal? Is it really "Unlimited" or what are the FUP limits (I've tried searching but can't find a definitive answer). I'm not interested in the tv and I can't work out if the deal is just for Sky tv subscribers or not.
  • AAB
    AAB Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you got be a sky TV subscriber in order to get their phone and broadband deal.
  • CG19a
    CG19a Posts: 765 Forumite
    Options
    I just tried phoning O2 there. I have Premium, plus landline and unlimited calls. All I was offered was £2.50 off a month, so I said that I wasn't sure and that it was the 100GB cap that I was bothered about. I told her a deal that sky was doing, and she told me how to arrange the transfer, rather than try to offer anything else. Looks like I was beat by the retentions lady :(
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AAB wrote: »
    I think you got be a sky TV subscriber in order to get their phone and broadband deal.

No you don't. However there is a set up charge of £21.25 if you aren't.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Shrimply
    Options
    We've had O2 broadband for around 18 months at £7.50 a month, just phoned up to request a MAC, as it seems O2 have been discounting the same package if you sign up for another 12 months.

Totally disappointed, the guy tried to sell me their home phone package. When I told him I didn't want my phone with O2 he basically got me off the phone as quickly as possible and said the MAC was on its way.

Kinda concerning too is this message which has appeared on my O2 account.

Capture-7.jpg

I never told them I was going to leave, just that I was looking at other options because of the price increase.
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    Options
    I got an email today saying that as the details on the previous email from o2 were confusing I would be getting a letter.

We shall see what it says.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport