o2 price increase

Options

Comments

• cdodgyd
    Options
    Well, I'm currently paying £12.77 (up in the last month or two from 12.50 anyway BTW) for their legacy "Standard" package. 8 Mb/s at best (at least its uncapped which is essential for me).
    Just rang them up and their only offer to reduce the price was if I joined one of their mobile schemes which I'm not willing to do, so no dice. Its going up to £14.50 I far as I understand which corresponds to nothing on their listed packages.
    Its all a pain but I think I'll be transferring as I've never liked their router (it frequently resets for no reason) and they don't provide webspace.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cdodgyd wrote: »
    Well, I'm currently paying £12.77 (up in the last month or two from 12.50 anyway BTW) for their legacy "Standard" package. 8 Mb/s at best (at least its uncapped which is essential for me).
    Just rang them up and their only offer to reduce the price was if I joined one of their mobile schemes which I'm not willing to do, so no dice. Its going up to £14.50 I far as I understand which corresponds to nothing on their listed packages.
    Its all a pain but I think I'll be transferring as I've never liked their router (it frequently resets for no reason) and they don't provide webspace.

But the mobile discount is a no-brainer. Even if you don't use the PAYG credit, it will cost you £40 p.a, and save you £60.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • LesleyG1984
    Options
    I have just come of the phone to O2. I am on an old package which was £7.66 a month and increasing to £9.50, I just called and asked for my MAC code and told them although I was happy with the broadband I couldn't afford the increase. The lovely adviser Donna offered me 6 months free then £9.50 a month. This works out £57, work that out over 12 months, that is the equivalent to £4.75 a month :) happy me!!
  • I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 February 2011 at 7:17PM
    Options
    I thought the £10 premium package (after mob discount) was too good to be true for too long!
    You get low prices to get you in and then they put the price up!!

There were threads on MSE re o2 BB package changes last year.

I've heard nothing about price rises to my account from o2.

My 12 mth contract is up early March 2011.
  • MewMew_2
    Options
    I received the email from 02 today. I'm on the Standard Home broadband package and as I’m not an O2 mobile customer my monthly payment is roughly £12.77 per month. The price increase would've bumped the price up to £14.50 per month.

Luckily I've just come out of contract so i gave 02 Broadband Retention a call.

With little encouragement they offered to renew my existing package on a non mobile discount 12 months retention option which would reduce my month payment to £7.50 until 1st April and £9.50 from 1st April :)
  • beecher2
    beecher2 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just received my email - £10 a month going up to £13. It is big jump, but still a good deal in my opinion as I get steady 14 meg speeds and good customer service when I've needed it.
  • divadwem1
    Options
    o2 lead you to believe the planned tariff change is just a small price increase, but beware the unlimited download disappears from the standard (now called basic) package. For an o2 customer unlimited download which was £7.66 will mean changing packages thus going up to £12.25 a 60% price hike!!

They did not tell you in the email and they have since changed the web page that customer were directed to. Go to the page again and look at the "compare packages" option.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    divadwem1 wrote: »
    beware the unlimited download disappears from the standard (now called basic) package. For an o2 customer unlimited download which was £7.66 will mean changing packages thus going up to £12.25 a 60% price hike!!

Why are you spamming the board with this incorrect message?

They aren't making the unlimited download "disappear".

The "basic" package is a new one. If you want to stay on the unlimited one you don't need to do anything (except maybe try for a sweetener by saying you want a MAC because of the price rise!)
  • Sponge
    Sponge Posts: 834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 February 2011 at 4:45PM
    Options
    I thought if you were on the cheapest package before you had no download limits and if you move to the new cheapest package there are download limits (20gb)? Oh and don't forget traffic management.

Come to think of it, there were 3 packages before and there are 3 packages now.

Before:
    Standard
    Premium
    Pro

After:
    The Basics
    The All Rounder
    The Works.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 10 February 2011 at 5:00PM
    Options
    Yes you are correct.

If you move package to get the cheapest deal you get a download limit.

But if you stay where you are you don't get the 60% price rise divadwem1 is banging on about! (And you keep your unlimited downloads)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure