o2 price increase

Options

Comments

• jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    espresso wrote: »
    Because the new price for The Basics package (20GB limit) after 31 March will be £8.50 with O2 mobile discount, so £9.50 is how much more for the unlimited legacy package?

Ah right I'm with you now.

I suppose what people are looking at is that the Basics package is currently £8.17pm so they have only rounded it up to the nearest 50p as opposed to having an odd 17p on the bill. However with the equivalent legacy package they have increased it by almost £2.

With the higher speed packages the increase is more.
  • CCFC_80
    CCFC_80 Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    edited 3 February 2011 at 11:03PM
    Options
    Just had an email to state that they are gonna increase my monthly bill from £12.70 to £14.75.Just use them for monthly broadband,no mobile phone. Without doing the maths that about 18% increase. I am a fairly light user but have been happy with them and I like the fact they have british call centres.

Should I stick with them, thinking of going to plusnet.Perhaps may call them with a threat to move to another provider and see if they might lower it. Anyone else tried negotiating with the increased price. Advice would be appreciated.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    espresso wrote: »
    Because the new price for The Basics package (20GB limit) after 31 March will be £8.50 with O2 mobile discount, so £9.50 is how much more for the unlimited legacy package?

The issue does get clouded:

The new basics package at £8.50 (after 31/3) does give you up to 20meg download.

Whereas the "old" unlimited package (going to £9.50 for o2 mobile customers) is "capped" at 8meg download.

Further clouding: their retention deal (in exchange for renewing the contract at the end of its minimum period) is £3 off/month for the new basics package (bringing it down to £5.50), but only £2.50/month off for the old unlimited package, making it £7/month.
  • spyhunter
    spyhunter Posts: 250 Forumite
    Options
    My sister has the old unlimited O2 at £7.50 ( or a bit more due to vat increase) and a £2.50 off per month retention deal valid for next 10 months. what price is she lookin at paying from now on?. O2 website only seems to quote the newer broadband options
  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I wasnt notified off any price increase ,just the VAT increase .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    spyhunter wrote: »
    My sister has the old unlimited O2 at £7.50 ( or a bit more due to vat increase) and a £2.50 off per month retention deal valid for next 10 months. what price is she lookin at paying from now on?. O2 website only seems to quote the newer broadband options

From 31/3 it will be £7/month (ie £9.50 less her £2.50 discount).
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 February 2011 at 2:21PM
    Options
    I'm on the Standard legacy package and have not yet been informed about the increase. Given that (wild guess here) maybe 80% of O2 broadband customers are still on legacy packages, I'm amazed that we're the last to know.
    And even less happy that we're being hit with an increase of almost 37% (allowing for the mobile discount and the usual retention deal).
    I'm going to be asking them for a pound off this so that I'm paying no more than customers on the new tariff, i.e. £6. What's to lose?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,578 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 February 2011 at 2:21PM
    Options
    abulkasam wrote: »
    I'm on legacy/unlimited broadband. Also got the email saying new price of £9.50.

What's the best alternative out there? Is there anyone else doing unlimited/non traffic shaping broadband close to this price?

Frankly as far a I can find, no. Unless you want to lose BT as your line provider or get some bundled deal and your use isn't that great.
    I'm on the legacy deal for 7.66 including my 02 mobile discount. I always felt it was artifically low compared to other capped offers (with the massive rise of iplayer etc ) now the demand for bandwidth is even greater , so am not surprised the price has risen (and new caps for new contracts , after what, 2 years or more for me?
    I haven't had any email yet but even at £9.50 compared to others it's still a good deal for virtually unlimited.
  • LittleMoney_2
    Options
    I am on the legacy premium package and being a light user. Got an email this morning notifying the price being increased from £10 to £13 from next month. That's a 30% increase.
    The problem is I am still within the 12 months minimum contract period (renewed arround last Aug), can they do this? If they can do whatever they want, what is the contract about?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes they can. There is always a provision in the contract for them to increase the price within the minimum term.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport