o2 price increase

Options

Comments

• DesG
    DesG Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Mine (with mobile discount)

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]From 31 March 2011 your monthly broadband cost will be £21.50. Any discount or free period you already have – like a three months free offer – will stay unchanged.

Cheers, Des.
    [/FONT]
  • emeraldbugle
    Options
    Can I just confirm, I am better staying with the £9.50 legacy package than their new package called Basics at £8.50 per month?

Is this because of the download limit? Is the old package 'unlimited'?

Thanks
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes it is. 'The Basics' has a 20GB data usage cap. However it has no speed cap, which the old Standard legacy package does have (capped to 8MBps). Basics speed will be whatever your line can support.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Sponge
    Sponge Posts: 834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 February 2011 at 2:32PM
    Options
    I just got an email about the price increases, but it doesn't tell me what my changes will be.
    [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Hello Sponge[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Our Home Broadband and Home Phone call prices are changing[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Internet use has changed dramatically over the last few years and this is likely to continue. We need to increase our prices so we can still give you the level of service you’d expect from us.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]From 31 March 2011 Any discount or free period you already have – like a three months free offer – will stay unchanged.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]You don’t need to do anything, but if you’d like to know more about your options, or want to compare our prices to the market, go to A[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Best regards[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Felix Geyr
    Managing Director,
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]O2 Home and Broadband[/FONT]
    I did think this could be my chance to ditch them, as per Quentin's post, but I don't know how that would effect my O2 homephone as the two are linked.
    3. We believe we offer a fantastic value for money broadband and home phone service. However you can leave without penalty if you tell us within 30 days of receiving your price change notification letter or email. Call 0800 230 0202 and choose option 1 (Home Broadband), 5 (Leaving O2), then 2 (Leaving O2). If you don’t contact us before 31st March 2011 then the new prices will take effect from your first bill date after that.
  • Sponge
    Sponge Posts: 834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Interesting post on the O2 forums, that pretty much covers the position I'm in.
    I have just phoned up o2 regarding the increase. I was advised that as I was on a £10/mth package (Premium) and it had gone up to £13/mth I was able to cancel my contract with NO fees. This was because the increase was over 10%.

HOWEVER,

I also have the o2 homephone and still in contract til the end of June 2011. In the terms and conditions it states that you can only have the home phone if you have the broadband. I advised them that by allowing me to cancel my o2 broadband is breaking the t&c for the home phone. They agreed. I then said that as t&c would be void, i would also be cancelling the home phone and pay NO fee.

They then said if i stayed with them, they would keep the broadband at £13 but reduce my homephone by £3. Therefore, balancing out.

I thought about it then said no it was alright, i'll cancel both packages. Then they offered me 6 months free 'All Rounder' BB package.

I thought about it then told them that I would be moving to SKY for my phone and broadband. I have Sky HD and would get more functions with 'Anytime+'.

They then offered me a whole 12 months free BB on 'The Works' package and throw in a free router/modem as well.

I couldnt say no.

Happy days. icon_biggrin.gif

It seemed that they didn't have a clue about what to do. My advice would to be to ring them NOW and do some haggling!
    Me thinks a telephone call is in order. :money:
  • spenderdave
    Options
    I understand the batch of emails sent out today omitted the actual amounts in error, and according to ThinkBroadband they will be resending them. I also got one with no amount specified.
  • MrMonkey
    MrMonkey Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    I just got off the phone to O2. Straight off the bat, the guy offered me free broadband for 6 month, reverting to £9.50 after that, as part of a 12 month contract on the same terms as my current old O2 contract. I emphasised that I wanted to retain uncapped broadband which he assured me will be the case, and has marked my account accordingly. To clarify what I was offered:
    6 months at £13.50 (line rental)
    followed by 6 months at £23 (line rental plus broadband)

I plan to call back tomorrow to double check the deal, and if it is not as agreed I will get a MAC and transfer elsewhere, but if the deal is as stated I'm pretty happy with it, as it works out as about £18 per month for the next year of unlimited 8Mb broadband.
    No reliance should be placed on the above.
  • chris_k
    chris_k Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am on the Premium package and got the email that doesn't tell you what the increase is. Clicking on the hyperlink the O2 website shows competitors prices but not there own.

I used to be an O2 customer but got a good deal with Orange. They offered to reduce the new price of £18 to £13 if I took out a 12 month contract.

In my opinion not a very generous offer, so I asked for an upgrade to my router which they declined. They have put this offer in my account notes so I can ask for it again. I will wait and see what others get offered.

I think I will stay as the £13 is less than I pay now and I want to retain the unlimited download as we are using iplayer a lot now. I will just check what others are being offered.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dohhh..currently on the £7.50 per month offer with O2 mobtel discount and they are upping it to £9.50

They didnt mention what it would be if i neglected to top up my mobtel.

Are we going to have retentions wars as VM often have with the bold and the brave cutting th best deals leaving the meek to pay the full hit?

It seems so...
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Dodgybloke
    Options
    I did a search for O2 broadband on the forum and found this thread. So it seems a hot topic. So I thought I'd share my experience...

I'm on the 20MB download & unlimited download package known as premium (the legacy name). Prior to VAT increase it cost £10 as I have a mobile phone with O2. I noticed instead of being charged £10.20 I was charged £11.30. Way above VAT. I phoned and challenged this. They're refunding me the difference.

The next stage of the call, the call centre guy told me about the new packages. Effectively, they want me to move to the new "all rounder" package. This is 20MB download with a fair usage of 100MB costing £12.25. The legacy price will be £13. They tried to sweeten the deal by offering 3 months free & a free modem/router.

In short. Status quo means a near 30% increase, new package only a bit less. I don't want to be on new contract (not in these uncertain times). Therefore now I'll stay put. But the operator actively encourage me to go to customer retentions!!!

One key piece of information I missed, O2 is the only provider to install hardware in my exchange. They're the only provider able to offer 20MB download speeds. Basically moving would be a backward move

Unhappy times:think:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport