4658? 4659? The "is my Visa Debit card any good?" thread!

Options

Comments

• usedandabused
    Options
    fawinds wrote: »
    Borderline. I got two personal full current accounts and one business account within the last two months, but my credit cards are from subprime companies and have subprime limits.

Within 6 to 12 months I will go for a Halifax Clarity card based on my Aqua card history (same underwriters) and if I get the Barclays Initial (I have a pending appeal) I plan to upgrade it too after a few months. Then in six months I will try the HSBC credit card based on internal score (they declined me for the card and an overdraft shortly after opening the account).

Why do you ask?

exactly that, you're banking is not subprime but your credit cards are, which puzzled me.

also the fact that you got a CGC with one institution and not the other is odd:)
    She LEFT me, she LIED, and she made me foot the BILL ! :mad:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    hmm got a halifax visa electron starting 4917 seems to work online and offline
    not sure to be honest
  • fawinds
    fawinds Posts: 372 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 August 2010 at 11:04AM
    Options
    exactly that, you're banking is not subprime but your credit cards are, which puzzled me.

also the fact that you got a CGC with one institution and not the other is odd:)

I guess I have been able to open the current account thanks to the history made with the subprime credit cards.

The next step will be to get mainstream cards within the next few months.

There was an old thread here about citibank, and some people said they are easy to get. I do not know, I do not even know if they issue CGC to everybody who is approved for a current account with visa debit card, or they do it on a case by case basis. I wish there were some other people here with a citibank account who would share their experience. I only have them for the fee free euro account and don't like the fact they don't do faster payments or that they are not an UK clearing bank, my main account is and will be with HSBC as I am happy with them and like their internet banking.
  • Toe-Jam
    Toe-Jam Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    edited 2 January at 4:00PM
    Options
    vinh1000 wrote: »
    hmm got a halifax visa electron starting 4917 seems to work online and offline
    not sure to be honest

No its a Fully Authorised card.
  • hope2010
    Options
    What is a fully authorised card? How can you tell the difference? My Visa Debit card starts with 4757. Santander Abbey card.
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hope2010 wrote: »
    What is a fully authorised card? How can you tell the difference? My Visa Debit card starts with 4757. Santander Abbey card.

That card is basically an Electron card in all but name.
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • fawinds
    fawinds Posts: 372 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just realised something that has happened with my HSBC debit card which didn't happen with my Natwest debit card from the Step account.

I have just made a payment of £118 to Aqua credit card and then logged in into HSBC internet banking to see the payment is not shown anywhere.

In the Natwest Step account ALL debit card payments were shown immediately and funds were frozen until the money was taken by the merchant's bank.

I believe this is because full auth cards like the one from Natwest step (the blue visa) always check for funds and freeze them when the transaction is authorised.

Then a full debit card either does not check for funds or does check but does not freeze them until the merchant's bank takes the money from the account.

Whilst with a full auth card you cannot use more funds than you have available and hence no risk of overdraft, with the full debit card you could use funds twice and be overdrawn.

Probably this is the reason why some banks or BSs my give an overdraft yet they are reluctant to issue a full debit card to some customers (Nationwide comes to my mind).
  • hopefulfooluk
    Options
    book12 wrote: »
    The card you currently have (4658) can't have contactless, only 4659 cards have them. :(

I think when the cheque guarantee scheme runs out, all types of debit cards will have a contactless function.

My Barclays debit card (4658 61xx) has contactless enabled on it. It's not a CG card.
  • njings
    njings Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Hmm...

my Barclays 4658 58 card does not have cheque guarantee (but i've only had it since sept) or contactless but it does work in Pay@Pump and lets me fuel up to £99....
  • Emmylou_2
    Emmylou_2 Posts: 1,049 Forumite
    Options
    My coop cashminder [STRIKE]electron[/STRIKE] visa debit works at Tesco pay @ pump but not Asda ones :mad:. And I had to actually sign my name the night at the Asda petrol station. Could hardly remember what it was at the time (bad day at work followed by food shopping...not my favourite activities :eek::rotfl:)
    We may not have it all together, but together we have it all :beer:
    B&SC Member No 324

Living with ME, fibromyalgia and (newly diagnosed but been there a long time) EDS Type 3 (Hypermobility). Woo hoo :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure