4658? 4659? The "is my Visa Debit card any good?" thread!

Options

Comments

• Toe-Jam
    Toe-Jam Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    edited 27 July 2010 at 5:33PM
    Options
    Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    Ok, now I'm really confused.

OH's Visa Debit card (CGC, BIN 4567) definitely has AID 31010. As do my Cap 1 and Vanquis Visa Credit cards.

My A&L Visa Debit, Halifax Electron and Co-Op (yes, mine is still an Electron!) all say 32010.

Aaaaargh!!! :rotfl:

Here you go, from Visa. The AID has nothing to do with whether your card is an online or and offline card

http://www.visa-asia.com/ap/sea/merchants/productstech/visadebit_features.shtml
    Embossed Visa Debit encoded with a positive authorization mandatory service code (X2X)

This is a standard Visa-embossed card with enhanced issuer risk control through a code in the magnetic stripe that instructs the terminal to always request an online authorization. This product is directed at getting the widest acceptance base while increasing the issuer’s opportunity to see more authorization requests.

Visa cards that are issued with the positive authorization option will have the same physical appearance as the familiar Visa card.

The AID is used to tell the card machine what type of card it is.

Maestro cards have 2 AID numbers in the card, thats why sometimes when you put it into the card machine it asks do you want Maestro UK or Maestro INT

1 AID with route it through Switch(now owned by Mastercard) and the other will route it via Mastercard International.
  • samwsmith1
    samwsmith1 Posts: 922 Forumite
    Options
    Toe-Jam wrote: »
    Here you go, from Visa. The AID has nothing to do with whether your card is an online or and offline card

http://www.visa-asia.com/ap/sea/merchants/productstech/visadebit_features.shtml

The AID is used to tell the card machine what type of card it is.

Maestro cards have 2 AID numbers in the card, thats why sometimes when you put it into the card machine it asks do you want Maestro UK or Maestro INT

1 AID with route it through Switch(now owned by Mastercard) and the other will route it via Mastercard International.
    Is that why when I used to have a solo a couple of years ago in some places it would ask if it was a solo or a maestro?
    Cos I always found that strange, haven't had that problem since I got my visa debit :).
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    samwsmith1 wrote: »
    Is that why when I used to have a solo a couple of years ago in some places it would ask if it was a solo or a maestro?
    Cos I always found that strange, haven't had that problem since I got my visa debit :).
    Yes, that is the case. Solo cards had a Solo element for UK transactions (routed through Switch) and a Maestro element for overseas (routed through Mastercard).
  • samwsmith1
    samwsmith1 Posts: 922 Forumite
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    Yes, that is the case. Solo cards had a Solo element for UK transactions (routed through Switch) and a Maestro element for overseas (routed through Mastercard).
    Ah right, I never thought at the time (although I was like 13!), it always seemed to be tesco that asked this.
  • iblametheparents
    iblametheparents Posts: 629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 August 2010 at 11:59PM
    Options
    Toe-Jam wrote: »
    You can only have contactless added to your debit card if you qualify for a 4659 card with barclays (offline card, and former cheque card) It can't be added to a full auth card regardless of what kind of account you have.

The technology is exclusively offline at the moment and therefore will not be issued to cardholders with a full auth card because it has no way of connecting to check for funds. So I disagree with the last part of your statement.

Agreed, plus all 4659 cards automatically come with the Contactless feature. No need to opt-in and the only way you can opt-out is by downgrading to a 4658 full-auth card.

I've only used the Contactless feature in the staff canteen but in Merseyside you can use it on Stagecoach buses and also I've seen a machine in a Subway. Boots seem to have had signs on their card machines for ages advising that Contactless is coming soon.
  • iblametheparents
    Options
    DizzleUK wrote: »
    AFAIA Barclays don't issue CGC cards anymore, along with all the other banks as the scheme only has 11 months to run.

As for me qualifying for such extras, I will stand more chance when my lasty default drops off in 4 weeks time. Not that I want an overdraft, nor does anywhere local accept contactless cards.

I have a new design (darker colour) 4659 Barclays Debit Card, without the Connect branding, on my Staff Account. It still has the cheque guarantee hologram on. It was delivered about a week ago.
  • StudentOfBusiness
    Options
    What would the 4659 Nationwide CashCard+ be then? VISA Debit Branding?
  • fawinds
    fawinds Posts: 372 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone seen this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bank_Identification_Numbers

I believe we must take into account the first 6 digits of a card.
  • Toe-Jam
    Toe-Jam Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Options
    fawinds wrote: »
    Has anyone seen this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bank_Identification_Numbers

I believe we must take into account the first 6 digits of a card.

Yes you are correct. the card number is made up of

If we are talking about a Visa transaction it will be something like as follows

1 = 4 (Visa is always 4, credit, debit electron doesn't matter its always 4, its 5 for mastercard, 6 for maestro, and 3 for amex)

1+222 = (The 4 plus the next 3 digits make up the BIN number and tell the machine what kind of card its dealing with)

33 = this is the unique bank ID and when i say unique, 122233 is a uniquie I.D to a specific bank made up from the first 6 digits on the card so Visa knows to route the transaction to the correct Institution.

the 4's are the customer account number and the 5 at the end is a cheque digit to make sure the card number is correct.

So for example my card number is

4 658 43 XXXXXXXXX 0

4 = Visa
    4658 = Visa Debit
    465843 = Coventry BS
  • JacksterD
    JacksterD Posts: 293 Forumite
    Options
    stclair wrote: »
    I wonder if when natwest starts phasing out the CGC and removing the word servicecard in January 2011 if the new cards will still be purple? :eek:

Does Natwest still put 'Servicecard' on? I got a new RBS debit card the other day, and it's a £100 CGC, but it doesn't say 'Highline' 100' on it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure