4658? 4659? The "is my Visa Debit card any good?" thread!

Options

Comments

• Toe-Jam
    Toe-Jam Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    edited 23 July 2010 at 8:49PM
    Options
    Bosie wrote: »
    Sorry about this, I used at Tesco a Natwest Visa debit card that's attached to my savings account with them (First Reserve)
    It's a Blue coloured card and the 'aid' number 31010:j That's making it an offline Visa card?

I also have a Visa debit attached to an old Cashminder account with the co-op (basic a/c) that is 32010 which makes it an Electron!

My Halifax Visa debit is 31010 making it a Visa debit.
    :

I think you , and others are getting confused as to what an AID (Application Id) is

This is simply a reference on the chip, that must match that of the card reader before they can "talk" to each other.

The card reader will have a list of Aid numbers that it can do business with when you stick your card into the machine it checks if your card belongs to a recognised card scheme by cross referencing the number on the chip with its list.

The AID number has absolutely nothing to do with your card being online or offline. It is just there to make sure the equipment is singing off the same hymn sheet.

The only number that dictates whether your card is online or off is a PMC x0x for offline cards and x2x for online cards. There is no what of seeing that number its embedded in the chip.

The only Natwest cards that are offline are the ones that say servicecard on the front they are purple.

With reference to the co op card, the aid is electron, but has a visa debit label, but as electron is going to be in the list on the card machine, it works.

In places that don't accept electron, they omit the electron aid from their card machines/tills so when its swiped the machines says "your not on the list so we can't do business"
  • Bosie
    Bosie Posts: 1,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    stclair wrote: »
    If your natwest visa debit card starts 4751 27 or 4751 28 its a full auth visa debit, it wont work for example in a pay pump.

Hi, yes the card number is 4751 27 but it's this 'aid' number that's confusing on my receipt it's 31010 which other posters say it's offline? Does this 'aid' number really reveal an offline or full authorisation card?

My vanquis 'aid' number is 31010 same as the above Natwest card,which as stclair say's is a full authorisation card.
    Yet it's got the same aid number as my Vanquis card:j
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, yes the card number is 4751 27 but it's this 'aid' number that's confusing on my receipt it's 31010 which other posters say it's offline? Does this 'aid' number really reveal an offline or full authorisation card?

My vanquis 'aid' number is 31010 same as the above Natwest card,which as stclair say's is a full authorisation card.
    Yet it's got the same aid number as my Vanquis card:j

I think the AID is more to with the chip isnt it rather than the BIN number its so confusing :eek:
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • Sharmaine
    Sharmaine Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    Hmmmm.

My 4659 A&L card is definitely a jumped-up Electron card, I have written admission from A&L via the FOS on this due to being deliberately misled by them on several occasions :mad: My card was declined in Tesco when the lines went down and they couldnt process Solo/Electron payments, OH's CGC with 4567 BIN worked fine.
    I can book a hotel room through Travelodge with my card, but not through Premier Inn as they read it as Electron so i have to use my credit card. I have seen Delta on some receipts as well, but the AID number on my debit card is 32010 which is Electron, and the AID number on my credit card and OH's card is 31010. I have a receipt from TK Maxx for a few months ago that says Electron on it. So unless there is another division within the non-CGC cards, I'm about certain my card is a jumped-up Electron :mad:

Mrs Ryan's comments intrigued me so off i went and made a couple of small purchases. One with my Santander Visa Debit - AID was 31010. The other with my Co-op cashminder Visa Debit - AID was 32010. As the popular opinion on this forum seems to be that co op visa debit is merely 'electron' in disguise this seems to prove it.
    :o
  • Bosie
    Bosie Posts: 1,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sharmaine wrote: »
    Mrs Ryan's comments intrigued me so off i went and made a couple of small purchases. One with my Santander Visa Debit - AID was 31010. The other with my Co-op cashminder Visa Debit - AID was 32010. As the popular opinion on this forum seems to be that co op visa debit is merely 'electron' in disguise this seems to prove it.

It's the A&L Visa debit that is pretending to be a full Visa, that too has the same aid number as the cashminder co-op's Visa debit 32010. So Mrs_Ryan you are spot on:j
  • DizzleUK
    DizzleUK Posts: 569 Forumite
    Options
    It's the A&L Visa debit that is pretending to be a full Visa, that too has the same aid number as the cashminder co-op's Visa debit 32010. So Mrs_Ryan you are spot on:j

As posted earlier the AID has bug*er all to do with whether the card is full auth or not.

My A&L Visa debit cards, which are both offline cards are 32010. My Barclays Debit card which I used for the first time yesterday and it shows on the receipt as 31010. I have yet to ascertain whether it is an offline card or not.
    Remember this: nothing worth doing is easy.

• book12
    book12 Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    Options
    DizzleUK,

Did your Barclays debit card work at the pay and pump machines?
  • DizzleUK
    DizzleUK Posts: 569 Forumite
    Options
    book12 wrote: »
    DizzleUK,

Did your Barclays debit card work at the pay and pump machines?

Haven't tried it yet. Expect to later in the week.
    Remember this: nothing worth doing is easy.

• sutton111
    sutton111 Posts: 6,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DizzleUK wrote: »
    Haven't tried it yet. Expect to later in the week.

You should ring them up and ask for a contactless debit card. See what they say.
  • KingElvis
    KingElvis Posts: 4,100 Forumite
    Options
    My Natwest card is Purple and starts 4751 29

It most deffo does work in auto pay fuel ststaions like Morrisons.
    "We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here, and we want them now!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure