4658? 4659? The "is my Visa Debit card any good?" thread!

Options

Comments

• seeamje
    seeamje Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I also have an alliance and leicester card with no cheque guarantee and i also have no overdraft just a premier direct account. My card starts 4659. I have never been refused in any shop and have used it at asda self service petrol pump and it says max spend £99. Sometimes on the slip it says delta and other times is says visa debit.

I am very confused at what type of card this is. Is it a full authorisation one?

Thank you.
  • Toe-Jam
    Toe-Jam Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    edited 20 July 2010 at 10:31AM
    Options
    Have you really just posted your account number on the web???:eek:

edit - I see the start date and sort code are all zeros and the two account numbers the same, so I'll let you off - still it's surprising what ppl'll do...

Well I think Peter Richards is related to Natalie West, so feel free to spend their money:D
    visa_debit.jpgvisadebit.jpg
  • Bosie
    Bosie Posts: 1,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A lot of banks are no longer issuing cheque guarantee cards, so if cards work at pay at pumps I'm sure they must be 'offline'.

Halifax no long issue CGC to new customers, nor Santander.
  • Bosie
    Bosie Posts: 1,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    seeamje wrote: »
    Hi

I also have an alliance and leicester card with no cheque guarantee and i also have no overdraft just a premier direct account. My card starts 4659. I have never been refused in any shop and have used it at asda self service petrol pump and it says max spend £99. Sometimes on the slip it says delta and other times is says visa debit.

I am very confused at what type of card this is. Is it a full authorisation one?

Thank you.

I'm very sure when it was classed as a Delta card it was a grown up Visa card,when I was good with money I had a Delta card with my Barclay's account, also a CGC as well.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bosie wrote: »
    A lot of banks are no longer issuing cheque guarantee cards, so if cards work at pay at pumps I'm sure they must be 'offline'.
    Not necessarily anymore. Some pumps take Solo cards, which require online authorisation. What they do is authorise £50 or £99, or some arbitrary amount and then let you draw up to this amount of fuel.
  • MoneySavingUser
    Options
    I know this is mostly about Debit Cards but what about credit cards - are they all offline?
  • Toe-Jam
    Toe-Jam Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Options
    I know this is mostly about Debit Cards but what about credit cards - are they all offline?

In the UK yes they are all Offline.
  • savagej
    savagej Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    edited 20 July 2010 at 3:35PM
    Options
    The positive madatory service code only applies to Visa Debit (no other product), all Electron as you know has to be authorised and do not have a mandatory service code they are identifed by the BAN.

This is bceause electron was introduced way back in the mid 80's; don't know if anyone remembers it on a Lloyds 16-19 year old account, and the Co-op bank and savings accounts (I cannot find a picture of one anywhere, but the electron was also printed as an "e", in lower card as the C and P were printed for Classic and Premier Cards), it looked like some micky mouse card you have just made youself with the dove drawn on.

However, the mandatory service code only really took effect I think it was last April (that when it MUST have been taken notice of so that chargebacks could work if no authorisation was sought on one of these "new" Visa Debit cards they will give to people who are bankrupt or children.

Is anyone here old enough to remember what Visa's format was with the rectangular box on the right hand side of the card, or remember the first electron cards which had the Visa symbol too and also worked well in train stations and PDQ terminals were they could call for authorisation, but, they only did this if the value was above the floor limit, they just saw them as standard Visa cards.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hmmmm.

My 4659 A&L card is definitely a jumped-up Electron card, I have written admission from A&L via the FOS on this due to being deliberately misled by them on several occasions :mad: My card was declined in Tesco when the lines went down and they couldnt process Solo/Electron payments, OH's CGC with 4567 BIN worked fine.
    I can book a hotel room through Travelodge with my card, but not through Premier Inn as they read it as Electron so i have to use my credit card. I have seen Delta on some receipts as well, but the AID number on my debit card is 32010 which is Electron, and the AID number on my credit card and OH's card is 31010. I have a receipt from TK Maxx for a few months ago that says Electron on it. So unless there is another division within the non-CGC cards, I'm about certain my card is a jumped-up Electron :mad:
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • samwsmith1
    samwsmith1 Posts: 922 Forumite
    Options
    My card's are as follows (none are cgc):
    HSBC ViSA Debit: 4659
    A&L ViSA Debit: 4659
    Natwest Visa Debit: 4751
    O2 Money: 4227
    Vanquis Credit Card: 4023
    No idea whether they are online or offline, but will assume the credit card is offline.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure