4658? 4659? The "is my Visa Debit card any good?" thread!

Options

Comments

• savagej
    savagej Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Options
    Emmylou wrote: »
    My coop cashminder [STRIKE]electron[/STRIKE] visa debit works at Tesco pay @ pump but not Asda ones :mad:. And I had to actually sign my name the night at the Asda petrol station. Could hardly remember what it was at the time (bad day at work followed by food shopping...not my favourite activities :eek::rotfl:)

If you dont mind me asking how long ago was the card issued by the bank, I am just wondering if they are catching up and marking the cards now with what is called a Visa Debit AID code as opposed to an Electron AID code which it had at first.
  • hopefulfooluk
    Options
    savagej wrote: »
    If you dont mind me asking how long ago was the card issued by the bank, I am just wondering if they are catching up and marking the cards now with what is called a Visa Debit AID code as opposed to an Electron AID code which it had at first.

Isn't it not a bank thing? I thought it was the retailers' BIN databases which have been getting it wrong and thinking it was Electron when it wasn't.

I stand to be corrected though but I don't think it's the coop's fault.
  • Esoog
    Esoog Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've got a 4659 HSBC visa that does have the cheque guarantee, does that mean I can use it whereever I like? (I wont go into the fact that the last two I've had have totally failed within weeks)
  • UnderPressure
    Options
    My Barclays cash card account visa debit 4658 59 is used every single week at tesco pay at pump and also morrisons pay at pump, with bith pumps it ALWAYS without fail puts thorugh a "ghost" transaction for £1 then authorises £99 of fuel from Tesco and £100 of fuel from Morrisons, I have done this at times a couple of days before payday with only £1 in the account and it always always goes through fine, I have been doing this for the last pfffffffffffffff 5 years at least with various banks including Natwest Solo card and A+L basic card and also all visa electrons I have had yet on a couple of occassions I have gone into tesco or Morrisons and used the wrong debit card with oinly a couple of quid in the account to pay for a tenners worth of shopping and it is alwasy declined.

I have alwasy thoguht that at the pay at pump they authorise the quid so they are happy and have an authorisation where as in store it always seems to go for full authorisation even if only for a couplr of quid.

Just got a new Nationwide account with their basic Vais Debit card the purple one not used that at all yet so dont know about that we will see but you should have no problems with Barclays cash card visa debit at pay at pumps, why should I have no problems but another customer does? Surely they dont give different kind of basic cards do they?
    "You can measure a man's character by the choices he makes under pressure"
    Sir Winston Churchill
  • Toe-Jam
    Toe-Jam Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Options
    My Barclays cash card account visa debit 4658 59 is used every single week at tesco pay at pump and also morrisons pay at pump, with bith pumps it ALWAYS without fail puts thorugh a "ghost" transaction for £1 then authorises £99 of fuel from Tesco and £100 of fuel from Morrisons, I have done this at times a couple of days before payday with only £1 in the account and it always always goes through fine, I have been doing this for the last pfffffffffffffff 5 years at least with various banks including Natwest Solo card and A+L basic card and also all visa electrons I have had yet on a couple of occassions I have gone into tesco or Morrisons and used the wrong debit card with oinly a couple of quid in the account to pay for a tenners worth of shopping and it is alwasy declined.

I have alwasy thoguht that at the pay at pump they authorise the quid so they are happy and have an authorisation where as in store it always seems to go for full authorisation even if only for a couplr of quid.

Just got a new Nationwide account with their basic Vais Debit card the purple one not used that at all yet so dont know about that we will see but you should have no problems with Barclays cash card visa debit at pay at pumps, why should I have no problems but another customer does? Surely they dont give different kind of basic cards do they?

Natwest, RBS, Co-OP, Have their Basic visa debit cards blocked from Pay @ Pump usage. So if you have the blue natwest card, or the RBS card that doesn't say servicecard, or the co op card thats really an electron (the one with the cashminder) they don't work.

I'm also pretty sure hsbc has its card without the cheque guarantee blocked as well.

The barclays basic one is not blocked, as you've just said. and neither is any maestro card, or solo. And also lloyds tsb basic card is not blocked aswell.

Santander's basic card also works.

It has nothing to do with the card number being 4658 or 4659.
  • savagej
    savagej Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Options
    Toe-Jam is correct it is to do with a code placed on the Chip and Magstripe that instructs the terminal to go on line to seek authorisation and if this is not possible to decline the transaction, it is called a mandatory positive authorisation code and I noticed recently that Northern Rock on the bottom of their application form for a current account are not showing outwardly at least to their staff this code. Because, it asks for a box to be ticked on the type of card issued, which could be a full visa, and Visa X2X (this is the three digit code with the 2 being the mandatory part, if it is set to 0 it is not mandatory).

However, what I dont know is that if the machines know that the full amount of the transaction much be authorised or if they can look at it and see well it must go on line, it does go on-line as we know as it looks of ring-fence £1, so is doing this enough to satisfy the mandatory authorisation? You would not have thought so, but from the prospective of a computer programmer if depends on how the person writing the code for the petrol pump interpreted the rules presented to them to write the code they run on from, if that make sense.
  • UnderPressure
    Options
    With Barclays.................

It definately only ever takes the £1 to begin with, I have done it both wasy when only having £1 in the account then also having a balance and still it only takes the £1, then always 2 working days later it take the full amount minus the pound.... So say I put in £10 petrol for the first 2 days the initial £1 is ring fenced but never claimed, it stays frozen for around 3 working days but because it is not claimed it gets released back into the account as available funds, on day 2 the £10 gets debited ;)

This works for me with my Barclays Cash Card Account Visa Debit card in both Tesco ad also Morrisons, Asda is about 30 miles away so never get fuel from the :)

Also threally clever thing with Tesco is the £99 limit is PER card PER day, I have before now had say £2 in the account, gone to 1 tesco in the morning for a journey and put £30 in then in the evening on the way home called to a completely different tesco in a different are and used the card again as usual it has taken the initial £1 to authorise the card BUT the 2nd time I was only allowed a limit of £69 fuel instead of the usual £99 so the stores seem to communicate with each other otherwise geeeesssssssshhhhh if you were that way inclined you could end up with thousands of litres for £20 and a very unhappy Barclays 2 days later :)

Dont know if this is the same with Morrisons but this is how it works with Tesco, saved my bacon a few time waiting till payday, also with the Barclays Basic account if say I do it on a Tuesday then Thursday the amount come out of my account, if no money is going in until Friday it takes me overdrawn for the cost of the petrol an unauthorised overdraft however............................

because on the basic account it is impossible to have an overdraft they do not charge the guaranteed payment amount :) I always get a letter of them telling me but then when it starts to go on about charges it say 1 guaranteed payment amount of £0.00.

We like Barclays good for sticky situations thankfully dont have many of those nowadays :)
    Sir Winston Churchill
  • UnderPressure
    Options
    Oh as a side issue does anyone know anything about the Nationwide card, for the basic flex account it has not long been lauches it is purple and has the Via Debit facility?

I have just got one not used it yet so not sure on this............
    Sir Winston Churchill
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Does anyone know about the 4757 Santander if its fully authorised or not? (also the 4921 Lloyds and 4227 o2 money)
  • Emmylou_2
    Emmylou_2 Posts: 1,049 Forumite
    Options
    savagej wrote: »

Card was issued in July this year.

It's not a major issue but just a bit annoying as one of the Asdas here only has pay at pumps - I just have to remember to either have someone else pay there (and give them cash in its place) or not be there when I'm running on fumes.
    We may not have it all together, but together we have it all :beer:
    B&SC Member No 324

Living with ME, fibromyalgia and (newly diagnosed but been there a long time) EDS Type 3 (Hypermobility). Woo hoo :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure