iPhone '4' thread

Options

Comments

• spike87
    spike87 Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone upgraded to iOS 4.1 yet? Only just been released and they're very close to jailbreaking it:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/09/ios_4_dot_1_jailbreak/
  • Jonty71
    Jonty71 Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    Out of curiosity, my month old iP4 new from Apple, does this also come with Apples 90 day service should anything go wrong where a Apple Techie is required?
  • Oscar_The_Grouch
    Options
    INT1 wrote: »
    I had to change our Belkin to WPA PSK to get my iPhone to work or just have it unsecured which I wasn't prepared to do.

I think you made a wise choice there, Int. An unsecured network is just too risky. The only time you should ever drop your security is if you are testing the wifi connection, but immediately put it back up as I suggested above. WPA PSK seems to be the easiest to log Apple products on to.
    Jonty71 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, my month old iP4 new from Apple, does this also come with Apples 90 day service should anything go wrong where a Apple Techie is required?

Hi Jonty. Yes; you get the 90 day service included.
    In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move.
    The late, great, Douglas Adams.
  • Oscar_The_Grouch
    Options
    spike87 wrote: »
    Anyone upgraded to iOS 4.1 yet? Only just been released and they're very close to jailbreaking it:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/09/ios_4_dot_1_jailbreak/

Not yet!! I have 2 iPods and (soon) an iPhone to put 4.1 on. I always seem to have trouble with the iPods; they go into recovery mode and it takes me ages to get them to accept the updated software!

I may wait for my new iPhone to arrive and have an "update day"!
    In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move.
  • Jonty71
    Jonty71 Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks OTG :)
  • BensonBunny
    Options
    Just this minute upgraded to 4.1. My phone now says it is on tesco rather than O2 and I have a new app called game centre. Haven't had time to see if anything seems different yet.

I wonder if any of you lovely helpful peeps could hepl me with a couple of queries:

1. Is there I quick easy way to put the phone on silent, discovered I didn't know how to do this in a meeting this afternoon!

2. I still can't connect to BT openzone. I'm on Tesco and spoke to their iphone help people who said I needed to text wifi to 2121. I did this and got a response saying wifi had reset and would be able to connect in an hour but I couldn't. I can only try to connect at work so can't do anything at the moment but any suggestions to try tomorrow would be appreciated. I can phone iphone help again tomorrow but they seem to have the only grumpy unhelpful tesco employees I have come across.

Thanks!
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options

1. Is there I quick easy way to put the phone on silent, discovered I didn't know how to do this in a meeting this afternoon!

Use the switch next to the two volume buttons on the left hand edge of the phone.
  • Oscar_The_Grouch
    Options
    2. I still can't connect to BT openzone. I'm on Tesco and spoke to their iphone help people who said I needed to text wifi to 2121. I did this and got a response saying wifi had reset and would be able to connect in an hour but I couldn't. I can only try to connect at work so can't do anything at the moment but any suggestions to try tomorrow would be appreciated. I can phone iphone help again tomorrow but they seem to have the only grumpy unhelpful tesco employees I have come across.

Thanks!

The help at Tesco is also USELESS!!!! Here's a link to the Tesco article on how to set up your BT Openzone wifi (clicky). It doesn't have anything to do with sending a text!!
  • joepm
    Options
    I had all sorts of problems with BT Openzone, until I discovered that not all wireless connections that come up as BT Openzone are open to Tesco users! Which is annoying especially when the phone tries to connect, taking me off of 3G, which means i need to turn off my wifi sometimes when i'm on the move.

There's a list of wireless hotspots - you can find a link via the page Oscar The Grouch refers to in previous post (sorry I can't link, I'm too new a user!)

Thanks!
  • lonestarfan
    Options
    sparkzs wrote: »
    So to confirm the iPhone will connect to other peoples wireless connections?

Thanks for the reply. Yes it does. It works very well at other homes although I did notice me and my friend had trouble with our phones in McDonalds yesterday. It kept dropping the connection but at least it showed a connection.
    I will try try the suggestion about altering the security and any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure