iPhone '4' thread

Options

Comments

• Oscar_The_Grouch
    Options
    AlexisV wrote: »
    Some routers need to be put into pairing mode to work e.g. the Orange Livebox.

The issues I've had with friends calling me up to ask me why their router doesn't work!!! First question: Are you with Orange?

My XDA is starting to play up, so I've put the order in for my iPhone. I think I've said before on here that the XDA (a windows phone) does everything adequately, but that's the limit:

Pictures are ok, but not great
    Video is poor, but it works
    It will play films, but I can't use my favourite headphones
    Games are there, but they're either expensive or old
    It runs TomTom, but takes ages to get a GPS fix
    The music player is a limited version of Windows Media Player....

I'm going to be sad to send it off to Envirophone (yes; I've checked the prices) but I am pleased to know my replacement is an iPhone!!
    In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move.
    The late, great, Douglas Adams.
  • lonestarfan
    Options
    Have you been able to get on to any wifi network? Take a visit to McDonalds and buy a 99p drink. Sit down and try to connect to the wifi in there (it's free).

If you can't get connected, it's your phone that's the problem. If you can, then it's your own wifi router that needs to be looked at.

Let us know the outcome and we can try to talk you through any changes needed to your router if that's the issue.

Thanks for this. I thought the same as you and I succeeded in doing face time at my sisters house. I can get on wi fi at my sisters house and at my mums house (networks are sky and virgin). So it must be my wireless router that's got the problem as you say. I was wondering if I should uninstall the wireless router software and then install it again. What do you think? Thanks.
  • sparkzs
    Options
    I've set my iPhone up so that when i am in range of my wireless internet at home it will automatically connect.

When at home have you used the iPhone to search for wireless networks? then when it finds yours try to connect and it should prompt you for the password, once you have entered it then it will remeber it and automatically connect to it when your in range
  • lonestarfan
    Options
    sparkzs wrote: »
    I've set my iPhone up so that when i am in range of my wireless internet at home it will automatically connect.

When at home have you used the iPhone to search for wireless networks? then when it finds yours try to connect and it should prompt you for the password, once you have entered it then it will remeber it and automatically connect to it when your in range

I've put the password in. It doesn't say invalid password. It just won't connect to my wirelss network. It says cannot connect, dismiss. Yesterday I managed to find an unsecure network so I got onto that but it was a very weak signal and the iphone kept returning to 3g. It will work on everyone elses wi fi when I'm at their house and with their passwords but won't work on mine so it must be something to do with my wireless router.
  • sparkzs
    sparkzs Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Yes it sounds like the router isnt allowing more connections
  • Oscar_The_Grouch
    Options
    I agree - what have you got connected to the router?
    In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move.
  • lonestarfan
    lonestarfan Posts: 1,232 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a virgin modem, then I connected a DLink router. The main desktop computer is connected by a cable via the modem to the DLink router. Then I am able to use a laptop wirelessly when my nephew brings it. My I phone 4 won't connect and neither will their Itouch. I changed the password recently on the wireless router with your help. I don't think that's relevant because I have been able to get the laptop to pick up the connection by using the new password. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • sparkzs
    sparkzs Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    So to confirm the iPhone will connect to other peoples wireless connections?
  • Oscar_The_Grouch
    Options
    I have a virgin modem, then I connected a DLink router. The main desktop computer is connected by a cable via the modem to the DLink router. Then I am able to use a laptop wirelessly when my nephew brings it. My I phone 4 won't connect and neither will their Itouch. I changed the password recently on the wireless router with your help. I don't think that's relevant because I have been able to get the laptop to pick up the connection by using the new password. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I think what you need to do is look at the level of wireless security you have on the router. Do you remember the network address for your router? It's the "192.168.x.x" number, then you have to type in a user name (usually ADMIN) and a password - just like you did with the password change.

Go back to the area where the password is. There should be something there where you can select between different security options such as WEP or WPA-PSK. What you need to do is prove that the security level is the one causing the issue, so if there's an option there for "no security" or something similar, select that. Save the changes and exit.

You should now be able to connect any wireless device without the need for any form of password, so check that the iPhone will now connect ok. The problem is that everyone else can also connect to your network which is not a good thing if you are doing your banking and a hacker can watch you put in your account details!!

Go back in to the router (same thing again with the address and the passwords) and turn the security back on. Select WPA-PSK or WPA if available on your router and then enter a password. Use the same one as before if you want, but I suggest you go for a different one.

Save the changes and exit, then try to connect the iPhone again. If it will, great. If not, go back in and select a different security level. If you go to WEP, then it will give you a selection of pre-formatted hexedecimal passwords, so just select one of those.

One thing to remember is that because you have changed the security, the laptop you connect sometimes will need to be told the correct password.

sparkzs wrote: »
    So to confirm the iPhone will connect to other peoples wireless connections?

Hi Sparkzs. They confirmed this earlier in the thread - they can connect in things like McDonalds.
  • INT1
    INT1 Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had to change our Belkin to WPA PSK to get my iPhone to work or just have it unsecured which I wasn't prepared to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure