We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

SKY HD Offer?

Options

Comments

• bakerlad1983
    Options
    i called disconnectons after being told by customer relations that i couldnt have this offer, and after 2 mins the lady said i could have the free box, install and free hd sub for the year. She said it is an offer for loyal customers.
  • R_Reagan
    R_Reagan Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    I cannot understand who Sky's target audience is with this offer. I have just phoned Sky as my Sky+ box is on it's way out (failed recordings etc). Went through to cancellations, and the best offer I could get out of them was free HD box, then £29 install fee if I didn't subscribe to HD mix, or £15 install fee if I took out the £10pm HD mix. I have been with Sky for 4 years, paying £39pm. I don't know what to think about this offer and Sky anymore as I would jump at this offer, but I'm for sure not gonna get it now!
  • will-in-estoril
    Options
    R_Reagan wrote: »
    I cannot understand who Sky's target audience is with this offer. I have just phoned Sky as my Sky+ box is on it's way out (failed recordings etc). Went through to cancellations, and the best offer I could get out of them was free HD box, then £29 install fee if I didn't subscribe to HD mix, or £15 install fee if I took out the £10pm HD mix. I have been with Sky for 4 years, paying £39pm. I don't know what to think about this offer and Sky anymore as I would jump at this offer, but I'm for sure not gonna get it now!

Ignore what the individual charges refer to, as they are pure nonsense. Just look at the overall costs. Are you being offered a new HD box? If so you are effectively buying it for £29, which is fairly good. However, if the box is a so-called refurbished receiver, it will be one rejected by another customer.

If you want $ky HD you are going to have to pay, one way or another. However, if your only issue is that your current box is failing a proper repair will give you literally years more service. (All to do with the rubbish capacitors in the box which need replacing.) There is now a stickie at the top of the page giving a list of repairers, to help you make the decision what to do next.
    RIP independent MSE.
    Died 1st June 2012
  • irwaite
    irwaite Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    Had a call from Sky offering me a free Sky HD box with free installation, but the £10pm charge would apply. Bit hacked off as I've been with Sky for 13 years and haven't upgraded since Sky+ in 2004 and he wouldn't waive the monthly fee for 12 months!

Also, I thought it was odd that the guy didn't know what package I was on or how long I'd been with Sky.

I was wondering if they use agents (on commission) to call customers and the call wasn't actually from Sky. The number used to call was 02920 199900, Anyone know?
  • nordtraveller
    nordtraveller Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    Options
    Oh what's the bloody point...?
  • ironman1
    ironman1 Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does anyone know if the World Cup will be shown in HD? I know it's always on bbc1 and itv if that helps.

Had the box installed but haven't been home to see what all the fuss is about yet. Should see it tomorrow. I've got a feeling I won't notice a difference because the old standard definition was a decent picture as it is
  • AdamBrunt
    AdamBrunt Posts: 369 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ironman1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the World Cup will be shown in HD? I know it's always on bbc1 and itv if that helps.

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't.
    I've got a feeling I won't notice a difference because the old standard definition was a decent picture as it is

Again, I'd be very surprised if on a HD TV you didn't notice any difference between Sky SD and Sky HD.
  • thommy
    thommy Posts: 581 Forumite
    Options

Had the box installed but haven't been home to see what all the fuss is about yet. Should see it tomorrow. I've got a feeling I won't notice a difference because the old standard definition was a decent picture as it is

had it installed yesterday - tho the sd pic in the new amstrad box isn't, some say, as good as the sd pic in old pace box, there is a big difference in quality between the sd and hd pic. i'd say the sd pic, depending on channel, 2 or 3 out of 5. hd, 5/5.

yes, world cup will be in hd.
  • will-in-estoril
    Options
    thommy wrote: »

yes, world cup will be in hd.

...and free to air. In other words you do not need a $ky HD box, any will do.
    RIP independent MSE.
    Died 1st June 2012
  • walterjohn
    Options
    I've had the same phone call,free HD box,free installation,free set up and free for a whole year and if I want to cancel after the years up then I was advised to do this on the 11th mth.
    Obviously I agreed,was told that somebody would phone me back on Tuesday to arrange a date for a sky engineer to install....it's now Thursday,I've been here all week and nothing!..Am thinking this may be some kind of scam!..would be interesting to see if they ever do call back..same goes for you too..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport