We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

SKY HD Offer?

Options

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,340 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    anyone getting this call show up as "international" when they call , just had one claiming to be from sky but assumed is was the "sky insurance" scam and put the phone down

teach Sky to use offshore call centres if it was them , would have upgraded otherwise and taken multiroom
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • ironman1
    ironman1 Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Has anyone tried saying they didn't notice a difference after the HD is installed and don't think they'll bother with it? (you get 30 days to decide I believe).

I don't think i'll push my luck as we are already getting 25% off the SKY package for 6 months, which ends in August. But others could try? No doubt they'll offer half price or something to force you into keeping it!

By the way anyone who has it installed recently, can you notice a big difference on the Sports and Movies channels? i've only ever seen SkyHD in a pub and it didnt look that great (probably because of too many beers).
  • BadgerFace_2
    BadgerFace_2 Posts: 333 Forumite
    Options
    Just looked at mine, it's a 500Gb model.

It does look better, but I'm not sure it's amazing...I'll reserve judgement until I've seen some football on it.

Seems like Sky are giving the HD service away to quite a few, so I guess it might not be to long before they drop the HD fee anyway?
  • ironman1
    Options
    Yeah from what i've seen it's not great, but it's a decent deal so i'll give it a go. When they install it is it a case of just swapping the boxes over? It will be my clueless about technical stuff girlfriend whose their when they install it and I dont want to be watching/paying for it not knowing there are certain settings changes you need to make to the television set etc! Thanks mate
  • bluenose5_2
    bluenose5_2 Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    so if all that is FREE,what are you paying a month,sounds a great deal you got.
  • DaveW78
    DaveW78 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    does anyone know how SKY are choosing which customers to call? No letters, no calls, I'd have their arm off for that deal :(
  • BadgerFace_2
    BadgerFace_2 Posts: 333 Forumite
    Options
    The sky engineer will set everything up to suit the TV you have and program the remote etc. It took about 5 minutes in total.

I'm currently paying £9 a month for the basic package, with 2 mixes and the HD channels. That's a 6 month 1/2 price offer the cancellations dept. gave me.

I think as far as sky being selective, they're probably going through all the customers they want to sign up for another year before they'll get around to everyone else.

Just looked through my phone and the number they called from was the same number that was calling me selling additional insurance for my sky+ box based in Glasgow...
  • ironman1
    Options
    bluenose5 wrote: »
    so if all that is FREE,what are you paying a month,sounds a great deal you got.

What deal do you mean? A few people have mentioned getting out of paying the £10 a month for HD channels but the majority aren't getting to watch those channels either. I think that deal is available to almost anyone with a bit of persuasion over the phone.

I phoned and said I received an email offering free box and free installation, the customer services bloke ended up believing me, saying a select few received this email but it wasn't advertised.

If that sounds good ring them and say you got the same email and they should give in. Obviously you have to pay the £10 a month for HD channels but you are saving quite a few quid getting installation and the box free. I can't see them giving free box/installation/AND free HD channels to many people.
  • sheanie
    sheanie Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Well I just got off the phone with Sky... missed their call earlier... offered me a new Sky HD box, free HD subscription for 12 months, no installation fee & 12 month contract.

Couldn't really say no...

Installation on Saturday!

I guess they want to secure as much business as possible for the next 12 month. I can live with £18 a month for the next 12 months because I'd never get away with cancelling the kids channels.... plus recording is just "normal" with sky TV now-a-days!
    :beer:
  • gwokka
    gwokka Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    ive just had a call from sky offering me the free upgrade to sky HD, including free installation and no hd subscription for 12 months. i was really sceptical when they rang and nearly put the phone down, even then i kept asking the guy to confirm that it was all free and it wouldn't cost me anything extra. i even thought it was a scam and asked him to confirm the package i was on which he duly did. he told me this was an offer for selected loyal customers(ive been with sky for 8or 9 years). the number he rang from was 08452777380. Coming to fit it a week on monday. Having read some of the posts on here im beginning to believe its a genuine offer and i'll be watching the world cup in HD for free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport