We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

SKY HD Offer?

Options

Comments

• ironman1
    ironman1 Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's funny because if it wasn't for sites like this and others, I would have probably paid the original 'offer' made over the phone of £50 box, £60 installation. Only after mentioning the email did I get it all for nothing.

Those getting a free box, install AND hd sub, be careful because I know they are offering this offer without the HD channels, which can be added later.

Can anyone tell me the best thing to do with the old Sky Plus box after the HD one gets fitted? May seem a silly question but we haven't got, or really want multiroom so I was wondering what others do with it?
  • mac24
    mac24 Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rang up to cancel my sky subscription.Got offered Free sky HD box And fitting.No subscription for 12 months and they've even thrown in sky sports free for 6 months.I'm staying with them now. ;-)
  • ironman1
    ironman1 Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Seems like a few on here have got the free HD subscription with the install and box. Mad how they are giving that away! Wasn't it something like 300 quid plus installation charges about two or three years ago? It can only be because they tie you in for another 12 months (or did you get away with that too!).

I'm interested to know how skyhd will look on our tele. I hope it's at least a noticeable difference or i'll be calling to cancel the HD sub and keeping the box anyway.
  • R_Reagan
    R_Reagan Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    mac24 wrote: »
    Rang up to cancel my sky subscription.Got offered Free sky HD box And fitting.No subscription for 12 months and they've even thrown in sky sports free for 6 months.I'm staying with them now. ;-)

Must admit I'm thinking about going down this route as my sky+ box is on it's last legs. Did they offer you this deal as soon as you mentioned the word 'cancel', or did you have to barter an improved deal out of them? Just interested to see how the conversation went with Sky CS ready for when I make the call later!
  • will-in-estoril
    Options
    I have read through every post in this thread. It is obvious that $ky is marketing HD with the same vigor probably not seen since its campaign to switch subscribers from analogue to digital.

Whilst some of the offers seem superficially good I would make the following observations:

• $ky are levying an additional £10 per month for HD. Is this good value? Maybe for $ky Sports HD, but the Sports package is already quite expensive.
    • Freesat HD or 'proper' satellite receivers offering HD (eg Technomate or Humax) have an upfront cost ie the cost of the receiver, but no ongoing costs. Add up 24 months' subscription costs to $ky and Freesat/generic HD boxes do not seem so expensive after all!
    • $ky have tried to mystify upgrading to HD, refering to installation as if it were something complicated. If you have a standard $ky box (without a subscription) then replacing it with a single tuner HD box is as simple as swapping over the boxes. If you can unplug an electrical socket and unscrew the satellite dish connection then you can manage it. Similarly if are a Sky+ customer but wish to not pay for TV anymore you can get a single or twin tuner HD receiver and connect it yourself.
    • I am not sure who has the rights to the 2010 (football) World Cup, but I would imagine the BBC and ITV will be there or thereabouts. No need for pay TV!!
    • Freeview (digital terrestrial) is due to start soon. Again no subscription.
    RIP independent MSE.
    Died 1st June 2012
  • Gymgenius
    Gymgenius Posts: 208 Forumite
    Options
    I have read through every post in this thread. It is obvious that $ky is marketing HD with the same vigor probably not seen since its campaign to switch subscribers from analogue to digital.

Whilst some of the offers seem superficially good I would make the following observations:

• $ky are levying an additional £10 per month for HD. Is this good value? Maybe for $ky Sports HD, but the Sports package is already quite expensive.
    • Freesat HD or 'proper' satellite receivers offering HD (eg Technomate or Humax) have an upfront cost ie the cost of the receiver, but no ongoing costs. Add up 24 months' subscription costs to $ky and Freesat/generic HD boxes do not seem so expensive after all!
    • $ky have tried to mystify upgrading to HD, refering to installation as if it were something complicated. If you have a standard $ky box (without a subscription) then replacing it with a single tuner HD box is as simple as swapping over the boxes. If you can unplug an electrical socket and unscrew the satellite dish connection then you can manage it. Similarly if are a Sky+ customer but wish to not pay for TV anymore you can get a single or twin tuner HD receiver and connect it yourself.
    • I am not sure who has the rights to the 2010 (football) World Cup, but I would imagine the BBC and ITV will be there or thereabouts. No need for pay TV!!
    • Freeview (digital terrestrial) is due to start soon. Again no subscription.

I thought all Sky HD boxes were twin tuner, i.e Sky+ HD boxes now?
    That's the impression I got when on their website the other day.
  • bakerlad1983
    bakerlad1983 Posts: 255 Forumite
    Options
    I thought i would call to see if could get anything and was advised because i was on the TPS that i wouldnt get this offer. So if you dont have TPS then you will have more of a chance of getting this offer.
  • Happychappy
    Happychappy Posts: 2,936 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought i would call to see if could get anything and was advised because i was on the TPS that i wouldnt get this offer. So if you dont have TPS then you will have more of a chance of getting this offer.

What is TPS ?
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TPS = Telephone Preference Service. Register with them and it should stop unwanted marketing calls
  • will-in-estoril
    Options
    Gymgenius wrote: »
    I thought all Sky HD boxes were twin tuner, i.e Sky+ HD boxes now?
    That's the impression I got when on their website the other day.

They are, but they are not the only HD boxes on the market!!!
    RIP independent MSE.
    Died 1st June 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills