We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

SKY HD Offer?

Options
1232425262729»

Comments

• Dpk
    Dpk Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    Got the original offer via email in March. Said that it had now expired and that they are now doing the free box with £30 installation. No offer of free £10 HD charge.
    Poliety declined!!
  • Leopard
    Leopard Posts: 1,786 Forumite
    Options

Given the poster's penchant for ambiguity, the "just" in "just called" may mean "simply" rather than conveying any degree of immediacy.

Bear in mind that most of the bargain HD deals offered during Sky's recent bonanza had deadlines that expired at the end of March. Since then, few have succeeded. Basically you are asking Sky to halve its revenue; it would go bust if it did that for any protracted period of time. It was a short-term promotion.

Even at half-price, Sky's expensive. The poster would be paying at least £258 during the first year. After that it would rise to a minimum of £348 a year.

Whereas, a FreeSat HD box with the equivalent functionality of a Sky+HD box costs a one-off payment of less than £250 and then everything's free, forever.

I'm not saying that Sky doesn't offer more channels in HD than FreeSat. Just that, even on the cheapest short-term deals, they come at quite a high overall price.

For some, if they live in the right location, this can be off-set to some degree by getting Sky's (2 mbps) Broadband for free. But for many it can't.

Don't laugh at banana republics. :rotfl:

As a result of how you voted in the last three General Elections,
    you'd now be better off living in one.

• whamfanuk
    whamfanuk Posts: 1,287 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i have taken up the sky self install offer, anyone know how long it takes for the HD box to be delivered, they said 5 days, but I really dont wanna wait that long lol
  • ezman
    ezman Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    whamfanuk wrote: »
    i have taken up the sky self install offer, anyone know how long it takes for the HD box to be delivered, they said 5 days, but I really dont wanna wait that long lol

they said 5 days, got it next day....mine was just a 6 month half-price basic subs deal - £30 for the box...
  • Saadat
    Saadat Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    I got "offered" the 9 months free, with free install and free HD Box, when i stated that people have been offered it for free, i was politely informed that it was based on an outbound marketing campaign and that this offer was only for a select few. People who were eligble, may have missed the call from Sky and called back to receive their "entitlement"
  • 2520years
    2520years Posts: 285 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I decided to cancel Sky as my 12 months is just about to finish.

I left it until 3 weeks into my month's notice and rang back. I saw on their website there was an option of installing the HD box yourself and thus saving £30 (they send it by courier). So I asked for that deal.

The nice man on the phone said they would install it for free if I signed up for another 12 months (the HD box was free anyway). I was happy with that, then he offered to waive the £10/month for 9 months! :D

I don't know why or how it worked, but I got what I wanted without much effort. I hope this helps someone else now.
  • 2520years
    2520years Posts: 285 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I rang today to rearrange my HD installation and got 2 months Sports and Movies for only £3 more than I'm spending now, and 4 months free ESPN!

I think someone's leaked happy gas into their offices!
  • tcuk
    tcuk Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I was asking myself the same question the other week on here, anyway I searched the net, took a lok at a few refer a friend referrals that come on ebay and ended up going for one that offered the best deal I could find at skyhdoffer.com everything went smoothly for me and sky actually send you any vouchers then tell your referrer who sends others depending on their offer to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport