We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

SKY HD Offer?

Options

Comments

• patricia1066
    Options
    Sky offered
    • free HD box,
    • free installation of satellite dish and HD box,
    • free line activation,
    • free Broadband modem and b/g router,
    I will get
    • BB (Up to 20Mb)
    • telephone linerental (eves/weekends) and
    • TV with 2 packs
    for £30 per month.
    Although I am not subscribing to HD pack I will get the free HD box, because they are giving it to everyone who subscribes now according to the saleswoman.

Virgin lost me as they couldnt honour a deal, and this deal is a heck of a lot better than what they can offer, based on my access to ADSL2.

The best thing is, Virgin were trying to lock me into 18 month, while sky is clearly a bit more confident I will want to stay with its 12 month contract.
  • Francesanne
    Francesanne Posts: 2,081 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ironman1 wrote: »
    What deal do you mean? A few people have mentioned getting out of paying the £10 a month for HD channels but the majority aren't getting to watch those channels either. I think that deal is available to almost anyone with a bit of persuasion over the phone.

I phoned and said I received an email offering free box and free installation, the customer services bloke ended up believing me, saying a select few received this email but it wasn't advertised.

If that sounds good ring them and say you got the same email and they should give in. Obviously you have to pay the £10 a month for HD channels but you are saving quite a few quid getting installation and the box free. I can't see them giving free box/installation/AND free HD channels to many people.
    I've had one of those e-mails and the offer is open until the end of March.
    I'm currently paying £20.00 per month for SKY+ but not entirely sure if it's worth paying an extra £10.00 a month for HD package. My sister told me not to waste my money but my husband seems quite keen on it. Is it worth it????
  • ironman1
    ironman1 Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello... I've been watching it alot over the last couple of days and if you have sports and film channels I'd say it's definitely worth it (also channels like Discovery and Crime are great in HD). I didn't think I'd notice much difference but a little tip to anyone who doubts the difference, go to channel 273...then to 271 which are next to eachother, the channel has the 'normal' SD version and the HD version straight after, the difference is amazing as far as I'm concerned.

The new TV guide is better aswell. I think the only downside of HD other than the £10 per month, is the fact that you end up wanting to watch EVERY channel in HD. Luckily most of what me and the missus watch have HD channels.

I'd say go for it, especially with the free box and installation. Obviously if you also get out of the tenner monthly sub on top of those freebies it isn't even worth asking the question but at 30p odd a day I'd say it's a must have. I was going to ring Sky after having it installed and have a moan and see if I'd get out of paying the sub every month but I'm not even risking it as I don't want to lose the HD channels.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Latest offer being sent to current HD subscribers - 3 vouchers to give to 3 friends/relatives who are already Sky subscribers.

Free HD box
    Free standard installation
    3 months free HD subscription.

Not as good as the offer that some are receiving where there is no charge for the HD pack for the first year but then not everyone seems to be getting this offer.
  • eslick
    eslick Posts: 2,062 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had one of those e-mails and the offer is open until the end of March.
    I'm currently paying £20.00 per month for SKY+ but not entirely sure if it's worth paying an extra £10.00 a month for HD package. My sister told me not to waste my money but my husband seems quite keen on it. Is it worth it????

any chance you could post the email in here so we know what was said when we call them :)
  • Francesanne
    Options
    We wrote to you recently with the opportunity to claim a free Sky+HD box. Well this offer has just got even better – you can now enjoy a free Sky+HD box and free standard set-up (normally £60) when you upgrade to the HD Pack for just £10 extra per month.20100308_project_spacer.gif20100308_project_but-top.gif20100308_project_but-left.gifCall today on 08442 411 44220100308_project_but-bot.gif20100308_project_spacer.gifA Sky+HD box gives you all the flexibility of Sky+, even more storage and the latest Sky Guide – making it easier to find the TV you love.20100308_project_spacer.gif20100308_project_divider.gif20100308_project_spacer.gifSee your favourites
    like never before20100308_project_spacer.gifDepending on your current TV package, you can:20100308_project_spacer.gif20100308_project_bullet.gifImmerse yourself in hit shows like 24 and Lost on Sky1 HD20100308_project_spacer.gif20100308_project_bullet.gifFeel the passion of the crowd during live Barclays Premier League matches20100308_project_spacer.gif20100308_project_bullet.gifExperience the heart-pounding action in the TV event of the year, The Pacific20100308_project_spacer.gifHurry, this great offer of a free Sky+HD box with free standard set-up ends on the 31 March.20100308_project_spacer.gif20100308_project_but-top.gif20100308_project_but-left.gifCall today on 08442 411 44220100308_project_but-bot.gifPre-registration may be required20100308_project_panel-bot.gif20100308_project_panel-right-top.gif20100308_project_spacer.gif20100308_project_spacer.gif20100308_project_spacer.gif20100308_project_super-sky.gif20100308_project_spacer.gifPause and rewind live TV, and record up to 60 hours of HD programmes.20100308_project_spacer.gif20100308_project_divider-right.gif20100308_project_spacer.gif20100308_project_super-channels.gif20100308_project_spacer.gifAccess up to 37 HD channels – that's 30 more than anyone else and the widest range in the UK.20100308_project_spacer.gif20100308_project_divider-right.gif20100308_project_spacer.gif20100308_project_super-colour.gif20100308_project_spacer.gifExperience vivid life-like colour and up to 5 times more detail.20100308_project_spacer.gif20100308_project_divider-right.gif20100308_project_spacer.gif20100308_project_super-sound.gif20100308_project_spacer.gifImmerse yourself in the action with superb digital-quality sound.20100308_project_panel-right-bot.gif20100308_project_spacer.gif
  • Francesanne
    Options
    Looks a bit strange but I just cut and pasted.
  • ironman1
    ironman1 Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can't belive how good football looks now. You find yourself watching documenteries etc which you wouldn't usually watch just because of the picture.

So hooked on HD me and the missus never went out as planned tonight, so have saved probably around a years worth of HD subs in one night and a hangover tomorrow!
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    eslick wrote: »
    any chance you could post the email in here so we know what was said when we call them :)

Have you not got a friend/relative who has one of the vouchers which will get you 3 months free of the HD pack?
  • patricia1066
    Options
    £30 a month for how long? You also realise that you will be trapped with $ky's phone service because of LLU, and to keep the phone service you will never be able to cancel your satellite sub?
    That was agreed at £30 for 12 months. But when I rang to check what was on the account, it was set up on standard terms - so no free HD box, no free line install, and the total cost £40 per month.
    I spent some time with two different customer services (CS) reps who promised to set it up as I expected, yet on checking it was only partially implemented. The system now shows set up, cancel and set up again, and the trail was getting cold. I cancelled giving my reasons to Jeremy Darroch, Chief Executive.
    I had a grovelling (if cut and paste) apology from an executive CS and was given £30 voucher in compensation.
    I am staying with Virginmedia.
    By the way, as long as you have a good credit record I dont see why being in an LLU contract will prevent you moving once your initial fixed period has expired.
    It would have been a good deal if sky had kept to their verbal contract, but I would prefer not to deal with them based on this experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport