Forum Home» Praise, Vent & Warnings

Simply Electronics - WARNING - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

Simply Electronics - WARNING

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
422 replies 341.4K views
145791043

Replies

  • Ilka_2Ilka_2 Forumite
    1 posts
    Yes we ordered a Smart phone before reading the terrible review. It turned up after 3 weeks (And a LOT of chasing) but the box had been opened and when I checked with Samsung it was a phone for the Singapore market so if it went wrong it would not be supported in the UK! Now trying to get the money back.
    My advice: Don't buy from this company!
  • A positive and good experience with this company.

    Placed an order with Simply Electronics for a Galaxy S4 phone UK version (I9505 LTE
    ) had a problem paying via Paypal on their website so phoned their customer services desk (UK number). The person was polite, efficient and sorted out the payment. So the payment was taken and the website stating that delivery is usually between 7-14 days - no problem.

    It was only the next day that for some reason it occurred to me that there might be UK VAT and Duty to pay so I looked at their website and discovered that Simply Electronics are based in Hong Kong. It was only when I looked up Simply Electronics for this purpose that I spotted on the search page some websites that were giving Simply Electronics some really bad reviews and my heart sank. So I emailed the company explaining that I had discovered that they were based in Hong Kong and because of this and the type of product that I had ordered, should there be a fault with the item this could cause me all sorts of problems and that I might have to pay UK tax and duties. I also stated that I wished to cancel the order and asked for a full refund of the money paid via PayPal

    My email was promptly replied to stating:
    “Thank you for your email.

    I would like to assure you that all our stock comes with UK specification with 3 pin power plug and English Manual. In addition, all products from SimplyElectronics also come with a 12 month warranty from receipt of the purchase. We do pass all our savings on to our clients which is due to special arrangements we have made on your behalf. As this, we do take care of all VAT payable. The price you see on the website is all you pay – there are no hidden charges.

    As a result, we have passed on the saving to our customers by selling our items at a lower and more competitive price.

    Once we have received your order, we will send you a confirmation email.

    We hope that this helps clear up any queries in your mind, but please let us know if further clarification is required”

    I replied stating that i wished to cancel my order. Within 2 days they had refunded the full payment back to my Paypal account without any quarrel or problem whatsoever.

    So bottom line:
    1. The person on the UK customer service phone was polite and efficient.
    2. Their standard emails that came with the order were prompt and clear.
    3. Their replies to my emails were received promptly and were very polite.
    4. They had no quarrel with canceling my order.
    The refunded payment was in my Paypal account within two days.

    So sitting back and reflecting on the above:
    I really cannot fault my experience with them.
    Would I purchase items from them in the future? Yes I probably will.
    In terms of the Samsung Galaxy S4 their price was getting on for £200 cheaper than what you can purchase it Sim free for in the UK - assuming there available from stock in the UK!
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ian_from_? wrote: »
    A positive and good experience with this company.

    You took the trouble to join this website today, and your entire activity has been to make two more or less identical posts supporting Simply Electronics against all the people complaining about its activities.

    Some might think you have some connection with Simply Electronics, but that would be uncharitable, wouldn't it? ;)
  • FroggittFroggitt Forumite
    5.9K posts
    ilka wrote: »
    Yes we ordered a Smart phone before reading the terrible review. It turned up after 3 weeks (And a LOT of chasing) but the box had been opened and when I checked with Samsung it was a phone for the Singapore market so if it went wrong it would not be supported in the UK!
    Ian_from_? wrote: »
    I would like to assure you that all our stock comes with UK specification with 3 pin power plug and English Manual. In addition, all products from SimplyElectronics also come with a 12 month warranty from receipt of the purchase.

    Sounds like they lied to you.
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • Doc_N wrote: »
    You took the trouble to join this website today, and your entire activity has been to make two more or less identical posts supporting Simply Electronics against all the people complaining about its activities.

    Some might think you have some connection with Simply Electronics, but that would be uncharitable, wouldn't it? ;)


    I have no connection with the company whatsoever. I live in the UK and just trying to get a good deal in rip off Britain. The two posts were identical but in two different threads!
    Ian
  • Froggitt wrote: »
    Sounds like they lied to you.

    That's possible and the risk you take when you buy from overseas.
    I have now found the Samsung UK warranty page that states:

    "Samsung Electronics (UK) Ltd support a product purchased in Europe if it has an EU Bloc Warranty. This warranty is present where the top of the product warranty card clearly states 'European Bloc'. If the product is purchased in another part of the globe then Samsung may attempt a repair. Samsung Electronics (UK) Ltd cannot guarantee the outcome."

    But I am now waiting for the Galaxy S4 32gig model to become available in the UK. So in the next several weeks the prices may come down and there may be good deals to be had from UK stores - we will have to see
    Ian
  • CoopdiviCoopdivi Forumite
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ian_from_? wrote: »
    A positive and good experience with this company.

    Placed an order with Simply Electronics for a Galaxy S4 phone UK version (I9505 LTE
    ) had a problem paying via Paypal on their website so phoned their customer services desk (UK number). The person was polite, efficient and sorted out the payment. So the payment was taken and the website stating that delivery is usually between 7-14 days - no problem.

    It was only the next day that for some reason it occurred to me that there might be UK VAT and Duty to pay so I looked at their website and discovered that Simply Electronics are based in Hong Kong. It was only when I looked up Simply Electronics for this purpose that I spotted on the search page some websites that were giving Simply Electronics some really bad reviews and my heart sank. So I emailed the company explaining that I had discovered that they were based in Hong Kong and because of this and the type of product that I had ordered, should there be a fault with the item this could cause me all sorts of problems and that I might have to pay UK tax and duties. I also stated that I wished to cancel the order and asked for a full refund of the money paid via PayPal

    My email was promptly replied to stating:
    “Thank you for your email.

    I would like to assure you that all our stock comes with UK specification with 3 pin power plug and English Manual. In addition, all products from SimplyElectronics also come with a 12 month warranty from receipt of the purchase. We do pass all our savings on to our clients which is due to special arrangements we have made on your behalf. As this, we do take care of all VAT payable. The price you see on the website is all you pay – there are no hidden charges.

    As a result, we have passed on the saving to our customers by selling our items at a lower and more competitive price.

    Once we have received your order, we will send you a confirmation email.

    We hope that this helps clear up any queries in your mind, but please let us know if further clarification is required”

    I replied stating that i wished to cancel my order. Within 2 days they had refunded the full payment back to my Paypal account without any quarrel or problem whatsoever.

    So bottom line:
    1. The person on the UK customer service phone was polite and efficient.
    2. Their standard emails that came with the order were prompt and clear.
    3. Their replies to my emails were received promptly and were very polite.
    4. They had no quarrel with canceling my order.
    The refunded payment was in my Paypal account within two days.

    So sitting back and reflecting on the above:
    I really cannot fault my experience with them.
    Would I purchase items from them in the future? Yes I probably will.
    In terms of the Samsung Galaxy S4 their price was getting on for £200 cheaper than what you can purchase it Sim free for in the UK - assuming there available from stock in the UK!

    If you can't fault your experience with Simply Electronics, why did you cancel your order?
  • Coopdivi wrote: »
    If you can't fault your experience with Simply Electronics, why did you cancel your order?

    If you had read through what I had written you would have seen the following:
    "It was only when I looked up Simply Electronics ...that I spotted on the search page some websites that were giving Simply Electronics some really bad reviews and my heart sank."
    It was this site in particular 'MoneySavingExpert.Com' that made me realize that I may have made a very bad financial mistake and which made me cancel the order. But it was the fact that Simply Electronics gave me a hassle free order cancellation and a refund into my Paypal account within two days which prompted me to write what happened. Hopefully this may allay the worries of other people who may be dealing with the company.
    Ian
  • CoopdiviCoopdivi Forumite
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ian_from_? wrote: »
    If you had read through what I had written you would have seen the following:
    "It was only when I looked up Simply Electronics ...that I spotted on the search page some websites that were giving Simply Electronics some really bad reviews and my heart sank."
    It was this site in particular 'MoneySavingExpert.Com' that made me realize that I may have made a very bad financial mistake and which made me cancel the order. But it was the fact that Simply Electronics gave me a hassle free order cancellation and a refund into my Paypal account within two days which prompted me to write what happened. Hopefully this may allay the worries of other people who may be dealing with the company.
    Ian

    You still haven't actually bought anything from them, yet you're praising them to the skies.

    There's loads of dreadful feedback on MSE and all over the internet about this shambles of a company. On that basis, I'm certainly not going to believe the rubbish that you've come out with.

    I try to be nice to new posters but I'm afraid to say that you come across as being either extremely naive or as a shill.
  • Coopdivi wrote: »
    You still haven't actually bought anything from them, yet you're praising them to the skies.

    There's loads of dreadful feedback on MSE and all over the internet about this shambles of a company. On that basis, I'm certainly not going to believe the rubbish that you've come out with.

    I try to be nice to new posters but I'm afraid to say that you come across as being either extremely naive or as a shill.


    And you come across as crass and rude!
    I have already commented above that I have no relationship with this company whatsoever except as a one time customer who cancelled my order.
    What I wrote above was a factual and historical account of my experience with the company.
    And further in terms of you - you might be an arch competitor of Simply Electronics - perhaps involved with ValueBasket.com:rotfl:
    This will be my last post on this topic. I have nothing further to say and no more time to waste.
    Ian
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support