Forum Home» Praise, Vent & Warnings

Simply Electronics - WARNING - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search

Simply Electronics - WARNING

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
422 replies 341.4K views

Replies

• I am sorry to say that I've been caught out as well - I ordered a flash from them thinking they were a British company and after 3 weeks and numerous emails I became suspicious and checked online re any comments about S.E.
    I found this forum and decided to cancel and requested a refund.
    Needless to say I'm still waiting and am going to have to contact Mastercard.
  • Having bought from a company called Simply Electronics in the UK years ago I just assumed Simply electronics.net was an on-line UK company. It was only after I had ordered £150 worth of Tascam DR-40 (good price) that I discovered the warnings here and elsewhere. So began a period of worry from Feb 22 to Mar 11. I now have the DR-40 and it works. But was saving £20 worth the hassle? I don't think I'd buy from them again. There is still the warranty question about country of purchase. As far as I'm concerned it was the UK, but Teac may think otherwise.
    Thanks for the warnings folk, shame I came across them too late, but now I'm registered here!
    Whatever else, Simply Electronics don't appear to be efficient - I've had much quicker service from Hong Kong sellers on EBay. (But those were low value items.)
    Fred
  • elainenelainen Forumite
    3 posts
    Recently placed an order online with SImply Electronics for a Sigma camera lens. It was £50 cheaper than elsewhere so should've been warning enough!!! Foolishly I didn't do any research on the company before placing the order and then discovered the threads on here flashing numerous warning signs!!! EEK!!! Panicking now so have emailed them to cancel my order and ask for a full refund. Although it doesn't appear on my bank statement yet, I have received a payment confirmation from Moneybookers (their online payment agents). Unfortunately I paid with my debit card (dont have a credit card) so if I dont receive a refund I really worry I won't now have any come back if I dont receive the refund!!! Have fingers, toes, arms, legs and eyes crossed .......................... !!!!!!!!!! Wish me loads of luck!!!
  • warning about ordering items from simply electronics. The first time I ordered from them I purchased apple tv and it came within days of my order. I was quite happy with the goods and then placed an order for an apple ipad mini which was advertised at £322.95. I was so fed up with waiting that I cancelled the order on 29th March. I was given 23 working days for a refund and am still waiting on 9th April. Despite numerous e mails and calls they say my refund is being processed. A bit like my order !!!! quick enough to take my money but not quick enough to refund it. A WARNING TO ALL POTENTIAL BUYERS. BEWARE
  • elainenelainen Forumite
    3 posts
    elainen wrote: »
    Recently placed an order online with SImply Electronics for a Sigma camera lens. It was £50 cheaper than elsewhere so should've been warning enough!!! Foolishly I didn't do any research on the company before placing the order and then discovered the threads on here flashing numerous warning signs!!! EEK!!! Panicking now so have emailed them to cancel my order and ask for a full refund. Although it doesn't appear on my bank statement yet, I have received a payment confirmation from Moneybookers (their online payment agents). Unfortunately I paid with my debit card (dont have a credit card) so if I dont receive a refund I really worry I won't now have any come back if I dont receive the refund!!! Have fingers, toes, arms, legs and eyes crossed .......................... !!!!!!!!!! Wish me loads of luck!!!

Hi again folks ... RESULT! Because of all the bad reviews on here I cancelled my order on 3rd April and crossed all my digits that I would get a full refund. I paid through Moneybookers.com on my debit card. Just to be sure my cancellation wasn't ignored, I emailed [EMAIL="web-support@simplyelectronics.co.uk"][email protected][/EMAIL] and phoned them a couple of times (spoke to Clint). Clint was very polite and very helpful, assuring me I would receive my refund within 6-10 days. The next day I received an email from Moneybookers.com confirming the refund was being processed and hey presto! my bank account was credited on 9th April !!! Very happy and very relieved!!! I'm wondering now if maybe, just maybe, I'd stuck with it I'd would have received my new lens at £50 cheaper than I've seen elsewhere??? But then again there was still the issue of it being supplied from Hong Kong so a potential issue with the warranty. Oh well ... back on the net now to try and find the lens with a UK warranty.
  • :(SimplyElectronics.net is a website based in Hong Kong which shows a UK tel. number and hides their location extreemly well. E-mail notifications do not arrive in the stated times - Deliveries if they arrive are usually late. The return address starts Simply Electronic Ltd which does not exist as this company was disolved on 05/01/2010 with the rest of the address being a building in Newbury where the agent refuses to confirm they exist. I think this is illegal and could be fraudlent. Be aware that some items souced in HongKong do not have a manufacturer warrentee when used in the UK and even if they do the technical specification does conform to UK principles which generates problems. (Source - Apple Technical help service) May appear cheap but as soon as you open the packet they say it is used and a fee applies if returned - so how can you findout if it works ???????
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bump - and thanks for this very useful thread. :)

• Who’s a lucky boy” just before reading this site I tried tobuy a Galaxy2 and two of my credit cards were declined … it seems the banks havehad a belly full of this company
  • Tylerama1Tylerama1 Forumite
    17 posts
    Just looking to buy a tablet and this company came up in google. Noticed the price, so thought that seems odd. Googled them and this page came up. Also, the spelling of the colour of the tablet gave it away.. 'gray', instead of 'grey'.. made me suspicious they were abroad and I was right.
  • edited 18 June 2013 at 5:43PM
    oscarbgraceoscarbgrace Forumite
    2 posts
    edited 18 June 2013 at 5:43PM
    I foolishly paid for a smartphone and upon exceeding the 10 day delivery period and reading of the various negative reviews have attempted on numerous occasions to make contact and solicit any response. X5 emails later and still no response to any of my concerns or any sign of phone.
    I would avoid and pay slightly more through a other retailer and avoid the stress of dealing with this unprofessional outfit.
    I shall be going through Paypal and my credit card to reclaim the money spent.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support