We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Sewing Room

Options

Comments

• Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    natc wrote: »
    The group wouldnt have to be to teach people, but for somewhere for like minded ppl to go along to, to make their projects and support inspire and have a natter...this is what mine is going to be like, and maybe get a tutor in on the odd occassion to give a lesson...let us know if you do get a group started :D

OK, but it will not be this side of the summer as I have too many commitments with the family, and I would also need to put my effort into starting up my business.
    Perhaps i should structure groups into my business plan though. As thats something that I could possibly arrange.:D
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • nykied
    nykied Posts: 951 Forumite
    Options
    I'm going to make a dress that calls for 'featherweight boning'. I've looked on ebay but can't find any listings at all for featherweight. Any ideas?
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    Take a look about boning here http://www.corsetmaking.com/CMSpages/CMSboneinfo.html they may be able to shine a light on boning for you!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • nykied
    nykied Posts: 951 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Mooloo! I've actually just ordered some off ebay anyway (I'm impatient!), but I need it to be 3/8 inch wide and it comes in mm increments. 3/8 inch is 0.952cm so I've ordered some 10mm stuff and I'll just keep my fingers crossed ;)
  • PootleFlump_3
    PootleFlump_3 Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Options
    donny-gal wrote: »
    Morning Ladies (and Gents??)

Not been here before, though a regular on the OS Daily. Thinking of treating myself to a new sewing machine, and just thought I would ask for suggestions regarding makes. I know there are a lot of Chinese sewing machines out there, some may be good and others are another story. Don't really want to go above £300, but if the right machine was a tad more then it isn't a problem.

What will it do, odd dressmaking items, I can do it, and do enjoy it, but time seems to be a PITA :o:o too much time holidaying those who know me will say. Repairs to clothes, alterations, cushion covers, curtains, etc. I have not tried quilting yet, but quite fancy a dabble at some time.

I would like some stitch options, buttonholing, and certainly an automatic needle threader, and it being able to be made to take sleeves.

Any makes to avoid, any suppliers to steer clear off, your advice comments would be very welcome.

Thanks - DG

Welcome to the thread Donny-gal. I would suggest either Janome or Brother. Ive never used a Janome but they do have a good rep. I have a Brother Innovis 20 which I absolutely love. I think mine was about £300 has about 40 stitches, electronic, extended work surface for quilting, auto buttonhole, auto needle threader etc. The only thing I would say is that I wish I had bought something that can do a bit of embroidery as well (monograms etc) so thats something to think about (I never thought for one minute that Id be remotely interested in using something like that but once you get the bug it develops and before you know it you want to do other stuff.) Hope that helps a bit.

Lovely makes everybody. There are so many I wont mention them all individually! I can hardly keep up with the thread these days!! :eek:

Hope you are all well. x
  • tiamai_d
    tiamai_d Posts: 11,987 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mooloo wrote: »
    You are very welcome. its good to know the rusty brain can help someone!

Well I finished the skirt and managed to bend a needle on the last few stitches.

I am an epic vortex of disaster today. :rotfl:

Before the bendy needle incident, it was running like a wee dream ;)
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Mooloo, good memory with the shirring elastic and thread snapping issues, that was me!
    I put the waistband into DD's skirt today and let her wear it. I still need to make a last layer as it's too short. It is part sewed up. I'm 3/4 way through overlocking the second part. Once that's done I need to shirr it and connect it to the skirt. After that, I need to cut 24 2" strips and overlock each side, join them into 2x 12 strips, shirr down the middle and connect to the skirt.
    I hope to have completed it by Sunday evening, I know I have no chance of finishing it tomorrow but will aim to get the bottom tier finished and the frill cut by tomorrow afternoon.
    I must admit, despite the dayglo garish colours, it looks pretty good :D.
    Donny-gal, I had to pop into dunelm this evening and they had Janome machines in at £100 and upwards.
    My SiL was harping on at BiL the other day that she needs an overlocker despite the fact that I don't think she's ever even used her swanky machine. She was bought it a few years ago along with a fashion design course but she never bothered doing the course (and can't now I believe, shame, such a waste :().
    I must admit, I am feeling a real sense of achievement with this skirt. I then followed a link and found an etsy shop selling labels. They start at 10p each and go down in price. I closed the window pretty quickly.

DH has asked this evening if I can find a use for wool. Straight from the sheep wool. Eep! Another craft obsession starting?!
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • hmo
    hmo Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    Options
    welcome donny-gal theres loads of great inspiration on here.

i have a Brother MS6NT electronic machine and love it, 60 stitches, auto one step buttonhole, auto needle threader, start/stop button (no need to use foot pedal ive never opened mine), needle up needle down, can sew on buttons too, flick of a switch to drop feed dogs, lightweight if you need to pack it away or take it to class.

but can handle all types of fabric had mine since last june done loads with it stuff on my blog.

press button to select stitch, width, length on screen display and it tells you what foot to use.
  • PootleFlump_3
    PootleFlump_3 Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Options
    Just to say that Lilys Quilts (fab blog) has done a tutorial on a Double Fat Jack quilt block just incase anyone interested in making one a little bit different. Im thinking it would be nice done on a smaller scale and make into a cushion (although Im obsessed with cushions at the moment so that could be why!)

http://lilysquilts.blogspot.com/2011/05/double-fat-jack-tutorial.html
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    Kaz2904 wrote: »
    Mooloo, good memory with the shirring elastic and thread snapping issues, that was me!
    I put the waistband into DD's skirt today and let her wear it. I still need to make a last layer as it's too short. It is part sewed up. I'm 3/4 way through overlocking the second part. Once that's done I need to shirr it and connect it to the skirt. After that, I need to cut 24 2" strips and overlock each side, join them into 2x 12 strips, shirr down the middle and connect to the skirt.
    I hope to have completed it by Sunday evening, I know I have no chance of finishing it tomorrow but will aim to get the bottom tier finished and the frill cut by tomorrow afternoon.
    I must admit, despite the dayglo garish colours, it looks pretty good :D.
    Donny-gal, I had to pop into dunelm this evening and they had Janome machines in at £100 and upwards.
    My SiL was harping on at BiL the other day that she needs an overlocker despite the fact that I don't think she's ever even used her swanky machine. She was bought it a few years ago along with a fashion design course but she never bothered doing the course (and can't now I believe, shame, such a waste :().
    I must admit, I am feeling a real sense of achievement with this skirt. I then followed a link and found an etsy shop selling labels. They start at 10p each and go down in price. I closed the window pretty quickly.

DH has asked this evening if I can find a use for wool. Straight from the sheep wool. Eep! Another craft obsession starting?!

When I lived in the village last year, my landlord was a sheep farmer, and I used to collect the waste wool off of the fields, wash it in mild detergent to get the dirt off of it, and used it to stuff my hearts and the like. However its a lot of work, washing and getting the bits out of it, but then it was free stuffing!:D
    It would be better if I had carded it, (Where you have like two metal combs and you work the wool between them). But I just dont have the arm strength to do that.:rotfl:

I have written off any making this week, alas, and next week is filling up already with other jobs that are must do's.
    If I am ever to get my work off of the ground, then I am going to have to start to "go to work" for regular hours and make my appointments etc outside of those hours. Its a tough one, to get the family into thinking. But if I can set up a business I need to have products to sell!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport