We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Sewing Room

Options

Comments

• natc
    natc Posts: 593 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kaz2904 wrote: »
    natc such a lovely idea. Shame I'm nowhere near you :( but good luck with it and I hope you have great fun :D

Thanks very much :D Im soooo looking forward to it. Yes, very much a shame you are not closer, but you could set one up in your area....something to think about. ;)
  • natc
    Options
    Mooloo wrote: »
    I had thought about doing lessons in my village hall where I lived last year, and was hoping to get sorted, but it never happened. My life is just too too hectic, however Molly (a friend from here on MSE) wants to learn to sew etc and there is a chap who often asks me questions online about sewing. We all live in spitting distance of each other here , so maybe that is something that I could sort out here eventually, a Sewing Group rather then formal lessons. mmmm another thing to add to the list of to do's!

Oooh, sounds like setting up a group in your area is called for! ;) I cant wait to get it going, there are only 4 of us at the moment, but I wouldnt mind at all if there is just us, will be fab! Only a couple of weeks to go until our first meeting....:j

I think tutoring/formal lessons can be expensive, but I know a tutor who will come along as and when we need her for a small (ish) fee, so we will still learn properly if we want to, but is essentially just a group to get together.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    natc wrote: »
    Oooh, sounds like setting up a group in your area is called for! ;) I cant wait to get it going, there are only 4 of us at the moment, but I wouldnt mind at all if there is just us, will be fab! Only a couple of weeks to go until our first meeting....:j

I think tutoring/formal lessons can be expensive, but I know a tutor who will come along as and when we need her for a small (ish) fee, so we will still learn properly if we want to, but is essentially just a group to get together.

I think that I would still like to brush up my skills, and any new techniques and possibly do some teaching later on. But time is against me at the moment, and probably will be for quite a while.
    To be honest there is so much that I have forgotten as I dont use it!
    I can make patterns, dresses, coats, even used to be able to make simple suits. I just have a pet hate at the moment with Zips.!
    I need to practise invisible zips! Mum bought me some a while ago to use. She didnt even notice that they were invisible ones.! I dont know why I have this fear, 15 years ago I was putting in zips almost daily for the job I did! :o
    Anyway, I have so many ideas, and things that I want to do, that a group here may be a good idea to keep me on the creative path, or should I say get me back on it properly.
    I have a room now which is a start.
    I have machines (old and older.)
    I have accessories and fabrics, galore due to being addicted to buying on ebay lately.
    However with my son leaving home, it also means that the income is dropping dramatically. (Yet the demand from the bank of mum is the same!).
    I am hoping to have a play around with the Slice machine and get some applique done. Then there are the stencils to make so I can use the fabric paints. (I cannot drawer for toffee's which is why I never went on to do fashion design at school etc). But I can see it in my mind! Which is no help to anyone else. I used to have to write the words to describe something and go to my mum for a drawing then take it back to the customers!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    cooltrikerchick, did you have a pattern for your bags, or were you just Ness inspired? They are lovely. I dont have much in the checked/tartans to be making anything of the same sort or I would. But I darent buy anymore fabrics at the moment. Or the floor may give way!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • tiamai_d
    tiamai_d Posts: 11,987 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi, I use good old WD40. Used to be always in my "Mans drawer". But I have been also known to use a smidging of olive oil when at a push!!!

the wrong size bobbin will make a huge difference.

Also were you the one using the shirring elastic? Some machines just do not like different threads from top to bottom.!

Daft as it may seem, but how old, or what quality is the threads your using on the top? Some I have had are rubbish and just snap all the time.

anyway hope you have some good luck at the next time you sit at the machine.

All fixed I hope. Opened it up for a maintenance and there was thread and fluff all wrapped round some bits that move. Oiled it with WD40 (I think I may now be high) and gave it a good clean. It seems to be working great now, better than ever.

I wasn't using shirring elastic when it started to mess up, it was just needing attention. Also changed bobbins (almost out of a new spool of black thread and not got any sewing done that I can keep)which has helped hugely.

Off to finish this skirt, thanks Mooloo!
  • wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Options
    It's me and Vogue patterns again, but not from the USA this time. All Vogue patterns are half price at sewdirect.com, for a 'limited period'. Sorry not to post a link - the site won't let me log out.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    wendym wrote: »
    It's me and Vogue patterns again, but not from the USA this time. All Vogue patterns are half price at sewdirect.com, for a 'limited period'. Sorry not to post a link - the site won't let me log out.

They are also with Jaycotts too. So it will probably be with most of thier suppliers.

http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=6243220&msgid=119555&act=6UGZ&c=764347&destination=http://www.jaycotts.co.uk/
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    tiamai_d wrote: »
    All fixed I hope. Opened it up for a maintenance and there was thread and fluff all wrapped round some bits that move. Oiled it with WD40 (I think I may now be high) and gave it a good clean. It seems to be working great now, better than ever.

I wasn't using shirring elastic when it started to mess up, it was just needing attention. Also changed bobbins (almost out of a new spool of black thread and not got any sewing done that I can keep)which has helped hugely.

Off to finish this skirt, thanks Mooloo!

You are very welcome. its good to know the rusty brain can help someone!
  • natc
    Options
    I think that I would still like to brush up my skills, and any new techniques and possibly do some teaching later on. But time is against me at the moment, and probably will be for quite a while.
    To be honest there is so much that I have forgotten as I dont use it!
    I can make patterns, dresses, coats, even used to be able to make simple suits. I just have a pet hate at the moment with Zips.!
    I need to practise invisible zips! Mum bought me some a while ago to use. She didnt even notice that they were invisible ones.! I dont know why I have this fear, 15 years ago I was putting in zips almost daily for the job I did! :o
    Anyway, I have so many ideas, and things that I want to do, that a group here may be a good idea to keep me on the creative path, or should I say get me back on it properly.
    I have a room now which is a start.
    I have machines (old and older.)

The group wouldnt have to be to teach people, but for somewhere for like minded ppl to go along to, to make their projects and support inspire and have a natter...this is what mine is going to be like, and maybe get a tutor in on the odd occassion to give a lesson...let us know if you do get a group started :D
  • hmo
    hmo Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    Options
    Ive made this tonight its on my blog, but basically my dd is going to her friends party at weekend, weve bought presents but i thought i would make her a bag.

the fabric inital and felt flowers were cut using my electronic cutter and i appliqued the initial on and just held the flowers in place with bondaweb and a button
    jade.jpg

the fabric is cupcake ive had ages so used it on the front and for the linning
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport