The Sewing Room

Options

Comments

• hart44
    hart44 Posts: 1,610 Forumite
    Options
    hmo and COOLTRIKERCHICK :D your bags are lovely :D
    Must rush off to work :( I will have about 4 hours inbetween work again tonight so catch up later :D
    Getting myself sorted 1 day/1thing at a time :) and Love sewing :)
    "Sewing fills my days,
    not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
    ~ Author Unknown
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Mooloo wrote: »
    When I lived in the village last year, my landlord was a sheep farmer, and I used to collect the waste wool off of the fields, wash it in mild detergent to get the dirt off of it, and used it to stuff my hearts and the like. However its a lot of work, washing and getting the bits out of it, but then it was free stuffing!:D
    It would be better if I had carded it, (Where you have like two metal combs and you work the wool between them). But I just dont have the arm strength to do that.:rotfl:

I have written off any making this week, alas, and next week is filling up already with other jobs that are must do's.
    If I am ever to get my work off of the ground, then I am going to have to start to "go to work" for regular hours and make my appointments etc outside of those hours. Its a tough one, to get the family into thinking. But if I can set up a business I need to have products to sell!!!!!!

Yes, I had thought of something along those lines. Really, what I thought I could do is take it out of the bin liner and put it into a quilt cover or a pillow case and just shove it through the washing machine. But that's because I'm lazy and don't want to wash it by hand :o.

WRT: Work hours, why not set up a pin board in your new craft area (perhaps rename this the office?) and put a calendar up. I don't know what hours you plan to work, Mon- Fri 9-5 or out of hours or what? Roster your working hours in on your calendar and make sure you include time for photographing and listing your stuff on your shop sites.
    Then everyone in your family will be able to check your calendar before they book an appointment and see whether or not they are able to use that time.
    If you need to have time available in the week day time, I would try to roster yourself for a couple of "evening shifts" from 8 until 12 or something. You keep mentioning putting your DGD to bed so I'm guessing that you have custody so forgive me if I'm wrong.
    Wishing you the best of luck with your time management, after all, it can be the making or breaking of a business.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • rufusdog52
    rufusdog52 Posts: 3,972 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all, been awol for a bit as had plenty to do but I have been reading the thread. I saw a nice pair of curtains in the CS yesterday which are a plain lilac but down one side are some embroidered butterflies with sequins, they are quite large so I had my craft head on and thought they would make nice bags so bought them and have had a go at cutting out this morning. I have cut panels out around the motifs to use as large pockets on the front of the bag. I am going to do the bags the same size and shape as my daughter's school bag I made her out of her old tshirt as she said its just right. I managed to get 4 bags out of the curtains plus they were lined with the lovely blackout lining which I like to use to line the bags as its so strong. I have some motifs left over as well so if I can find some other plain fabric that goes with the lilac I can use them on it.

I also popped into Dunelm Mill the other day to pick up some more wadding for my Dad's quilt and found a remnant bag with a nice big piece of the black out fabric in it, was about 1.5 metres of it plus a metre of a nice plain furnishing fabric that might do for backings on my cushions. There was also a piece of twisted cord in a nice gold colour, about a metre of that too, whole bag full was 2.99 so very pleased. Came home and tied a bit of the cord around a plain glass vase we have with some artificial flowers in it and it looks really nice, makes it look more expensive.

I am really thinking of opening up a shop on Folksy. I have got myself another email address which I have linked to my Paypal already and will make myself a new profile on FB using this new address. I have nearly finished a couple of the cushions I wanted to do as my "star attraction" lol, just need assembling as OH has been on nights this week and I havent been able to use the machine upstairs. Once I have the decent bits ready I thought I could add some of the little bits and pieces I already have made just to fill it up a bit.
  • skyeandeviesmummy
    Options
    Hi, Im hoping one of you lovely ladies might be able to help me. My sister in law to be saw a pic of some lovely bridesmaid dresses that she absolutely loves the design and colour of but is unable to find the exact dresses. She is hoping to have them made but is struggling to find a colour match for the material. Can anyone suggest an online material shop? Also what sort of material do you think the dresses are made from? Really hoping someone might be able to point us in the right direction :D

bridesmaidpic1.jpg
  • nykied
    nykied Posts: 951 Forumite
    Options
    Rufusdog, good luck with your business if you do set it up. Something I've been wondering, do you need a business seller account on ebay to set up a Folksy account?
  • Kaz2904
    Options
    That fabric looks very similar to the satin that I just got from fabricland. They have a website which shows colours. When I went to the fabric shop the other day, he said that they were waiting on lots of orders of chiffon due to the tsunami in Japan. So be aware that she may not be able to source the colours she wants just yet.
    Blimey though, talk about a big wedding party!
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • skyeandeviesmummy
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Kaz Ive just googled them and found the website and the very first pic on bridal satin I think is a brilliant match for the dresses!! Going to email link to sis in law 2 b now. :beer:

I know massive wedding party that one. Shes def not having that many bridesmaids lol. However she is getting married in Northern Cyprus so will be a beach wedding :D
  • Kaz2904
    Options
    Oh yeah sorry, the fabrics look like satin and chiffon, I don't know if I made that clear in my post?
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mooloo wrote: »
    cooltrikerchick, did you have a pattern for your bags, or were you just Ness inspired? They are lovely. I dont have much in the checked/tartans to be making anything of the same sort or I would. But I darent buy anymore fabrics at the moment. Or the floor may give way!

I had a pattern off ebay, just checked and the pattern isnt on there now, but its very similar to the 'slouch' bags that are in the pattern section..

but once i had the pattern i couldnt follow it:cool:, so i sort of 'winged it':rotfl: and it came out ok... i havent put an inside pocket, as i didnt want to confuse myself....:D

I have made 5 now all from diff patterned blankets...

need to get my skates on as i have had confirmation of my stall in smallholders show:eek:..

so i need to troll the internet for simple things to make with welsh blankets:eek::rotfl:
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I had a pattern off ebay, just checked and the pattern isnt on there now, but its very similar to the 'slouch' bags that are in the pattern section..

but once i had the pattern i couldnt follow it:cool:, so i sort of 'winged it':rotfl: and it came out ok... i havent put an inside pocket, as i didnt want to confuse myself....:D

I have made 5 now all from diff patterned blankets...

need to get my skates on as i have had confirmation of my stall in smallholders show:eek:..

so i need to troll the internet for simple things to make with welsh blankets:eek::rotfl:

Dont the welsh blankets cost a lot? Have you got a cheap price for them then? They really are lovely bags, and I think that somewhere I probably do have a pattern thats possible. I am watching some tartan fabric on ebay, but the few blankets were huge prices up into the couple of hundreds some of them!
    Mind you you could make a lot of bags out of one blanket I suppose.
    :D
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure