We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Sewing Room

Options

Comments

• Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    natc such a lovely idea. Shame I'm nowhere near you :( but good luck with it and I hope you have great fun :D
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I had thought about doing lessons in my village hall where I lived last year, and was hoping to get sorted, but it never happened. My life is just too too hectic, however Molly (a friend from here on MSE) wants to learn to sew etc and there is a chap who often asks me questions online about sewing. We all live in spitting distance of each other here , so maybe that is something that I could sort out here eventually, a Sewing Group rather then formal lessons. mmmm another thing to add to the list of to do's!
    Now its time to get my shower, go and see my boys, and think about what is next to make on my agenda. Hopefully the last bag and turkey saddles will be arriving at thier destination and we will see whether anything else is on the horizon for me.
    Maybe I should post a picture or two of the Turkey Saddles on the Frugal thread as lots of them have chickens and the likes.... mmmm
    Have a good day eveyone. I aim to stay as upbead as I can in this dreadful time. (Maybe the swan... looking cool and calm on top, and paddling like mad beneath???? sound familiar)
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • donny-gal
    donny-gal Posts: 4,654 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning Ladies (and Gents??)

Not been here before, though a regular on the OS Daily. Thinking of treating myself to a new sewing machine, and just thought I would ask for suggestions regarding makes. I know there are a lot of Chinese sewing machines out there, some may be good and others are another story. Don't really want to go above £300, but if the right machine was a tad more then it isn't a problem.

What will it do, odd dressmaking items, I can do it, and do enjoy it, but time seems to be a PITA :o:o too much time holidaying those who know me will say. Repairs to clothes, alterations, cushion covers, curtains, etc. I have not tried quilting yet, but quite fancy a dabble at some time.

I would like some stitch options, buttonholing, and certainly an automatic needle threader, and it being able to be made to take sleeves.

Any makes to avoid, any suppliers to steer clear off, your advice comments would be very welcome.

Thanks - DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I do read this thread, but hardly ever post,
    Rummer suggested i come over and ask if anyone knows of some good turorials for make-up brush rolls, pot holders, and maybe a garden tool/hip bag.

I am not a very good, unless i get a VERY good tutorial, which really does take it in very baby steps:rotfl:

I will be using old welsh blankets..

and here are some of the things i managed to make so far

bags009.jpg
    bags007.jpg

Now if there was an idiots guide to making something like this

http://www.nessbypost.com/p/Jackets/2228.htm

I would love to have a go:rotfl::D... dont know what it would turn out like, :D
    Work to live= not live to work
  • danables
    danables Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    jcr16 wrote: »
    quick question please ladies, i'm making a patchwork quilt for my baby. so he can lay on it and kick his legs , use in cot etc . i've previoucly made a patchwork throw and used 2 oz wadding, but i feel this is a bit thin for a baby one.

which wadding would be better 4 or 6 oz, i apperciate 6 is gonna be thicker, but is it harder to work with, would it be too thick would a 4 be better ?

the room where baby is most likely to use it has a carpet floor and a nice thick rug,instead of a hard wood floor, where definatly thick the quilt the better.
    Tamster150 wrote: »
    I have just been checking up on my blogs & the lovely Dana, who used to be a regular in here, has a blog post all about choosing wadding here
    I personally like to use cotton cotton/poly blend but it can be ££££

Thanks Tamster, That spreadhseets really helped me, so much so I keep one pinned to my pin board for reference hope you find it useful jcr16 :-)
  • danables
    danables Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    Rummer suggested i come over and ask if anyone knows of some good turorials for make-up brush rolls, pot holders, and maybe a garden tool/hip bag.

I am not a very good, unless i get a VERY good tutorial, which really does take it in very baby steps:rotfl:

bags009.jpg
    bags007.jpg

I made some pen rolls some time ago, there is a link to a tutorial on my blog - tamster posted a link a post up or too, It could easily be adapted to suit make up brushes :-)
  • tiamai_d
    tiamai_d Posts: 11,987 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Me sewing machine is annoying me. I bought new bobbins and they are smaller than the ones that came with the macine so that may be contrtibuting to the isses. The top thread keeps snapping and I think it is getting stuck round the tension dial. It needs oiled but I don't have an oil. So I'm stepping away from it. I bought a load of pretty fabric too. Humph!

What oil do I need to buy?
  • MissPixie
    MissPixie Posts: 2,380 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't just make one skirt I made two! Now I just need my oh to get home so he can take pictures :)
    Getting married Wednesday 24th August 2011!
    :D
    2010 wins:
    approx £2198
    2011 wins value so far: approx £650
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    tiamai_d wrote: »
    Me sewing machine is annoying me. I bought new bobbins and they are smaller than the ones that came with the macine so that may be contrtibuting to the isses. The top thread keeps snapping and I think it is getting stuck round the tension dial. It needs oiled but I don't have an oil. So I'm stepping away from it. I bought a load of pretty fabric too. Humph!

What oil do I need to buy?

Hi, I use good old WD40. Used to be always in my "Mans drawer". But I have been also known to use a smidging of olive oil when at a push!!!

the wrong size bobbin will make a huge difference.

Also were you the one using the shirring elastic? Some machines just do not like different threads from top to bottom.!

Daft as it may seem, but how old, or what quality is the threads your using on the top? Some I have had are rubbish and just snap all the time.

anyway hope you have some good luck at the next time you sit at the machine.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options

bags009.jpg
    bags007.jpg

Ah the Ness Stuff. There is a shop here in Towcester that sells these beautiful things. I have been taking a long hard look at them everytime I go there! Considering making a jacket myself. But maybe not so bright, as I am not sure I would manage to wear them.
    Take a look at BurdaStyle. I will see if I can find a link for them as they have wonderful patterns all the time.
    I probably have a pattern for a fitted jacket somewhere, as I have many a pattern:o since I started to sew as a child. dispite giving loads and loads of them away over the years.

If I come across one I will let you know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport