We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
MSE Parents Club Part 9
Comments
-
angelfairy wrote: »oh it has 3 wheels, i think i have a 3wheel phobia

what is the seat like??? is it nice and padded so comfy??? i think that's half of LO's problem when in strollers etc she's never comfy
Its not very padded without the footmuff, but she seems really comfy in it. I wasn't sure as it isn't parent facing, but she's enjoying shouting hiya to passing people, dogs and cars!
My_Fathers_Daughter wrote: »
You know me, 100% classy mum! (Is that V i see sitting in her buggy chomping on a Greggs and a bottle of tea!). :rolleyes:angelfairy wrote: »3 - looks like you can only fold the pushchair using two hands. is that true??? wouldn't be able to manage that with a 9 month in my arms when waiting for the bus i dont think
It's easier to fold than my last buggy, which needed two hands and a foot! You collapse one bar at the top, then pull up to tabs on the handles - so yes, you do need two hands. But it is possible with a baby under the arm.
Much easier to unfold. Just kind of pick it up and shake it.
I've been to work and it was very strange. I had to hand in my computer access passes to IT, and finally my ID pass to security. Then, as I had no pass, they had to escort me out of the building. Anyone who saw me come in, empty my drawers, hand in my passes and be escorted out by security will be having a good gossip about what I got sacked for now! :rotfl::rotfl:
Just waiting for Mum to come up now, so I can be a responsible mummy and go to the pub!
:beer:0 -
off to do my wii fit. back later'Children are not things to be moulded, but are people to be unfolded'0
-
Hi all,
congrats to all who have had their babies in december and in 2010
I wish I could be on here more to keep in touch but have been struggling with motherhood - have been up and down like a rollercoaster ride! still keep crying randomly. Some days Tegan just never seems to want to stop feeding and when she is not she is crying so feel quite drained.
I think she has colic so am hoping over the next three weeks things will really improve. But I seem to struggle to feed her enough at night so am thinking of giving her a bottle of formula to get my evenings back. But then i like breast feeding and don't want to lose it. Over christmas I was expressing in the morning so the grandparents could feed her in the evening and I could have a break and a glass of wine if I wanted.
Today I have expressed 3oz so later if she doesn't seem to be getting enough DH can give her it in a bottle to just give me a break.
Any advice on switching to formula?
Its always strange because tegan doesn't seem to have a pattern some nights she will sleep 11pm-8am then others 12-3am then awake again at 6. I just can't seem to figure it out. Last night she slept 10.30 till 5.30am???
Will be trying to come on here regularly again now as I miss the support.Tegan Lily arrived 4 November 2009 (3 days late)
Floyd Peter arrived 9th July 2011 (1 day early)
0 -
I'd just like to say that sometimes my hubby completely surprises me.
I am making a clock for the practice wife with piccies of DSS for each number IYSWIM and hubby has spent the morning going through all the photos on our external hard drive to find the best ones of DSS.
I really thought I would be doing it myself tonight, what a lovely surprise.
I love him :A
Karen - hugs hun, just spotted your post as I was typing.
There is no reason why you can't introduce a bottle of formula in the evenings if you want to, it certainly doesn't mean you have to give up BF'ing.
Feel free to have a good old rambling moan, it always helped me, and believe me, we have all been where you are now. xxplease listen to MFD - she is a wise woman
Proud Mummy to the gorgeous Benjamin John born 14 March 2009, 8lbs 14ozA new little seedling on the way, due 30 September 20120 -
Karen, it is a tough choice to top up with formula. I'm probably bias towards breastfeeding unintentionally, but don't brush off what I say on that basis. Someome more 'pro-formula' will be along later to give you the opposing view. You have to ask how it'd make you feel. While it is only a small risk, it is still a risk to the breastfeeding relationship to top-up.
How important is breastfeeding to you?
Would you be sad if you stopped?
Would you feel guilt for giving formula?
Will she take a bottle easily?
Did she suffer from bottle preference or nipple confusion at all?
Do you think that it might start a slippery slope to giving more and more formula?
Do you have someone able/willing to bottle feed for you?
Topping up can be a godsend for some, makes no difference to others, and can have negative effects for some. Have a think about it, and listen to your gut. I gave three formula feeds, and the guilt and shame it caused me was not worth it.
I'm sorry you have been struggling. It does sound hard, the combination of crying and feeding. What is her weight gain like? Have you had your latch checked by someone properly trained?
*I do hope that doesn't come across as harsh, judgemental or anti-formula. Or overly persuasive. It isn't meant to, I just give the advice that would help me best, don't feel bad if it just sounds like a load of rubbish to you.Stay-at-home, attached Mummy to a 23lb 10oz, 11 month old baby boy.0 -
Hi Karen,
Well done on BFing so far. You are doing brilliantly and I know how hard it is to make a decision to supplement with bottles. If you choose to do so, remember that you are doing it for your own good and therefore Tegan’s good too. I got myself really upset about using bottles, even though I knew it was the best thing for us, so I know it’s difficult. Just do what you think is right and you will get there. For what it’s worth, we use Aptimil as the hype says it’s closest to breastmilk and at the time I did want to try and continue breastfeeding. But it’s probably just advertising nonsense so whichever one you prefer would be fine. I am sure there are a few people on here who give bottle milk at bedtime, but still manage to breastfeed too so it doesn’t necessarily have to be one or the other. I am not an expert though.
Have you tried anything for the colic? We found Colief to be really good, but expensive, but I think different things work for different people. Are you doing baby massage as well? That definitely helped us.
I personally wouldn’t get too hung up on a sleeping routine, particularly if you are breastfeeding. Just be grateful of the nights where she does seem to be sleeping through – a lot of babies are up every couple of hours.
Are you getting out and about during the day so you have adult company too? I think that’s important, particularly if Tegan is not going down early (same as Holly, although I don’t mind it).
Hugs. x0 -
Hi Karen, welcome back

I've nothing useful to say about BF but if you do switch then there's a few of us who can help with the practicalities of FF.
I recommend cold water sterilising, swapping powders til you find one that Tegan's tummy and bowels agree with, not getting too worried about making up the milk just in time for the feeds, you can do it a bit in advance
Tommee tippee closer to nature are meant to be designed to be closest to a nipple in shape, so might help with nipple confusion.
Bad mummy confession. Usually fergie naps at 3. Today he went in the cot and was still squawking at 3.30! Then it dawned on me I'd missed a bottle out! Ye gads!:o:D He's fed now and magically has gone to sleep.
:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £400 -
Did that routine come about so you could enjoy your daily dose of AT interuption-free, weezl?
:rotfl:
0 -
Whilst I respect and appreciate Feelies point of view FWIW I NEVER felt any feelings of guilt when I gave Benjamin formula, which wasn't often until we cut down on daytime BF at 9 months or so because I was going back to work.
There is absolutely nothing to feel guilty about, and shame is not a word that should be in any mummys vocabulary IMHO.
I successfully mixed BF, bottle feeding EBM and where I wanted to formula (Aptamil) for months and months! In fact, I still do and Benjamin is 10 months next week.
Don't underestimate the physical, emotional and hormonal drain that BF places on your body - it is natural to feel drained by the process.
I do agree about getting your latch checked, just in case, do you go to a Booby Club? The best thing I ever did was join a Booby Club, I can't recommend it enough.
(Breastfeeding Support Group!)please listen to MFD - she is a wise woman
Proud Mummy to the gorgeous Benjamin John born 14 March 2009, 8lbs 14ozA new little seedling on the way, due 30 September 20120 -
PP - The plastic surgeon is about my stomach, I've been having issues with it and myself ever since it errr developed. You know an apron. Well It disgusts me, It's probably not as bad as some peoples, but it bulges through clothes so clothes shopping is a nightmare and usually ends in tears. It pulls my stomach down so that my belly button looks like a slit and I'm getting recurring infections in it - smells lovely btw!
It's a long story but pregnancy, ballooning to 17st and shrinking back to my 11st something (still fat aswell) has totally wrecked it. Resembles a paper bag.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards