We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

window cleaners (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• economiser
    economiser Posts: 897 Forumite
    Options
    I have to pay £10 once a month for a four bed house with 18 windows, 2 sets of french doors and a conservatory (excluding roof).
  • cally1_2
    cally1_2 Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    £10 for a 3 bed in West London
  • never_enough
    never_enough Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    Options
    nicci985 wrote:
    Oh I'm quite dissappointed about the telescopic things being useless!

How long do you reckon I can leave the windows before I can't see out of them :p

I don't fancy hanging out of my 2nd floor flat windows!

Well, I've not had mine done since Jan 05 & can still see out of them...except for the kitchen one, which I have to do because doves from my neighbours dovecote use that window for target practice! :eek:
    I'm not as bad as that sounds, we just seem to get a lot of rain here!!
  • BobRobUK
    BobRobUK Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    I am a window cleaner and a good average is £4.50 for a standard semi.
    You will pay more if your windows are made up of many unusually small panes. Large windows can be "bladed" easily and are therefore quicker to clean.
    Other factors that will increase the average price are risky or difficult access to windows such as sloping ground or steep ladder pitches.
    Leaded widows are particularly time consuming to clean as they cannot be bladed and have to be wet scrimmed and buffed to sparkle.
    If your window cleaner has a good run of houses nearby this should help keep the price down too.

Hope this helps.
    Rob
  • troll35
    troll35 Posts: 712 Forumite
    Options
    I pay £5 every 3 to 4 weeks here in (not) sunny Yorkshire. We have a 3 bed semi with quite large windows. The £5 covers 7 windows, but if it's one of the window cleaners fluctuating assistants they often do my front and side porches too (both 6ft x 4 ft half glazed). Because I work at home I am usually around to give them fresh water!!! and a cup ot tea, 'cos I'm generous that way.:D
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land :hello:
  • mattt44
    mattt44 Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    When we moved in we asked them to come round and price up.
    Normally £6 a week I think, but because they were so dirty to start with, £12 (I think) for the first time.
    OK says I, never one to pay out when I don't have to. I'll clean them the first time and you can carry on after that.
    Ummm, have to go and ask the boss...........never saw them again :)

I didn't want them anyway, it was the OH, so I was more than happy.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,562 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    £3 for a small terraced house back and front windows (4 normal windows and 3 small windows)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Norma_Desmond
    Norma_Desmond Posts: 4,417 Forumite
    Options
    I think I'm getting a bargain - £4 once a month for 4 bedroom house with 11 sash windows!
    "I'm ready for my close-up Mr. DeMille...."
  • aliwatts
    aliwatts Posts: 651 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think I'm getting a bargain - £4 once a month for 4 bedroom house with 11 sash windows!

Sounds like you are getting a real bargain, my husband is a window cleaner but never cleans my windows !!!!!!
    :hello: Laugh and smile everyday, it keeps you healthy ! :wave:
    Thanks for everybodies help on here, what a great community !
  • toneyridge
    toneyridge Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    We live in the Peak District in Derbyshire, have had the same window cleaner for about 36 years,and granted we have quite a large bungalow, we pay £18 a month, which he is worth every penny of.
    I woudn't like to have to do his job all weathers, hot and cold.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure