🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

window cleaners (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• fannyadams
    fannyadams Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    FWIW
    I pay £8 every other month for ours we have a 3 bed house with conservatory (13 x 10) and extension and porch. I think it's very reasonable. he comes back after 7pm to collect the money, on the day he does them. v friendly lad, & his dad was a WC before him.
    I live in South Northants
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my twenty-year-old son
    DS#2 - my teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two rescued/retired greyhounds
  • bindiboo
    bindiboo Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    Options
    I just cant help think how does the number of bedrooms affect the cost of cleaning the windows? surely the number of windows in the property?

I think my mum pays about £4, she used to pay £1.50 but the guy retired and didnt tell anyone so we had to find a new window cleaner. btw there are 6 windows.

just to give to an idea we have 8 windows and a porch
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In London I pay £6.50 for a 2 bed semi with porch... he comes only once a month so rather than OH doing the downstairs only ,(hes frightened if he goes higher than 2 steps lol.. its well worth it to me....
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a town house with seven windows, a french door and the front door with glazed inserts on each side. The window cleaner I use charges £8 and he comes once a month - well, ten months a year, he has to top his tan up at least twice a year you know.

This is in N.Ireland...actually rural N.Ireland. Flipping rip off rural N.Ireland if ya ask me...
  • Ditto
    Ditto Posts: 357 Forumite
    edited 15 November 2011 at 1:19PM
    Options
    The window cleaners around here seem to be doing the job "on the side" meaning claiming dole :eek:
    Does a window cleaner who has one round pay tax etc anyway?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I paid £12.50 for my 2 bedroom flat in July when I moved in! The guy said he would be back every 4 weeks but never came round again!

I wonder whether its the fact I'm a second floor flat???!!!

No-One wants to clean my windows maybe I should get a telescopic window cleany thingy!?? At £12.50 a time for window cleaning i really would be saving money!
  • carl310166
    carl310166 Posts: 747 Forumite
    Options
    I used to pay £6.50 for a 3 bed semi,but when we had our windows replaced with upvc ones,i specified Pilkington Active self cleaning glass which cost about £200 extra,so about 2 1/2 years payback.
    Sponsored by Tesco Clubcard Points !!
  • Jet
    Jet Posts: 1,624 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I pay £5 once a month-ish for 8 windows and 2 half glazed doors.
  • never_enough
    never_enough Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    Options
    I did pay £12 for a 3 bed detached house in Cambs. That's for 13 windows,
    french doors & 3 doors with half glass. He comes every 3 weeks, but I told him I only wanted mine done every 6 as it was so expensive. Haven't seen him since & that was last January. Think I may've upset him... :rolleyes:
    Tried one of those telescopic things, was totally useless, very hard to control.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I did pay £12 for a 3 bed detached house in Cambs. That's for 13 windows,
    french doors & 3 doors with half glass. He comes every 3 weeks, but I told him I only wanted mine done every 6 as it was so expensive. Haven't seen him since & that was last January. Think I may've upset him... :rolleyes:
    Tried one of those telescopic things, was totally useless, very hard to control.

Oh I'm quite dissappointed about the telescopic things being useless!

How long do you reckon I can leave the windows before I can't see out of them :p

I don't fancy hanging out of my 2nd floor flat windows!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport