🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

window cleaners (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ***Board Guide Note***

Folks

This is a reminded that this thread was included in Martin's Weekly Money Tips E-mail.

This thread (and this board) is not the place for discussing whether window cleaners are worth the rates they charge.

Please keep this thread on topic 'How much do people pay for their windows to be cleaned'.

Thanks

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • The_Shiner
    The_Shiner Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Nile wrote:
    ***Board Guide Note***

Folks

This is a reminded that this thread was included in Martin's Weekly Money Tips E-mail.

This thread (and this board) is not the place for discussing whether window cleaners are worth the rates they charge.

Please keep this thread on topic 'How much do people pay for their windows to be cleaned'.

Thanks

Nile

OK then Nile.
    In that case, I pay zilch to have my windows cleaned because I do it myself
    :-) . Mind you, I don't do them very often and I'm in the trade.
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't pay anything because I can't find a bl****y window cleaner!!
  • GIBBO_UK
    GIBBO_UK Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    how to save money with window cleaning.
    take the lowest price, dont worry about who you are letting work on your house.
    dont worry if they are criminals
    dont worry if they are signing on and working on the side.
    dont worry if they are not covered by any public liability insurance.
    as long as the price is low then you will save money.

that is as long as they dont steal from you and your home insurance goes up.
    as long as they dont drop their ladder on your shiny car causing £1000's of damage without any insurance to cover it.
    and as long as they dont hurt themselves on your propety by not working to the Working at hight regulations, leaving you open to them seaking a compensation claim from you.
    hey you might get a few quid from appearing on "rouge traders" so it cant be all bad.
  • smartiepants
    smartiepants Posts: 509 Forumite
    Options
    £10 per month for 11 very large windows 2 small windows and 1 huge conservatory, rural location, you may think this is cheap, and yes I agree, but they do a very poor job, only the glass gets cleaned, the ledges are left with dirty puddles and to be honest, I would be prepared to pay quite a bit more for a decent job where the ledges are at least wiped over, but window cleaners are rare where I live, In fact I am going to look in Yellow pages to try and find someone decent, this has made my mind up. Thanks for that everyone. xxxxx
    Make it happen (old signature)

Making it happen (NEW Signature Jan 2009)
  • smartiepants
    smartiepants Posts: 509 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome to the site GIBBO UK, hope you enjoy it as much as we all do. Your comments are appreciated and very valid. xxxx
    Make it happen (old signature)

Making it happen (NEW Signature Jan 2009)
  • dmorris20220
    Options
    Smartiepants

Have you offered to pay your window cleaner more money to wipe the frames and ledges. I think you will find he will be pleased to do it.

Usualy when you price a job it is just for the panes, to clean the frames as well a few more pounds will swing it.

To all those who are paying peanuts you are realy lucky and should cherish them.

There are a number of reasons why they could be cheap, the bet is they are not making a sustainable wage in the long term.

if you are paying less than 80 p a window you should stop moaning and be very grateful indeed.

Dave
  • Dukebof69
    Dukebof69 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    well, I'm a cleaner (windows) and it seems to me that some of you have no idea, either on pricing, or how it all works. Please, if you want, direct any questions about it all to me.
  • Dukebof69
    Dukebof69 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    ps: and hi to the Shiner and Gibbo, I thought I may be on my own for a bit there..
    If you guys are interested...here's a forum for you to come and look at, this is for Cleaners though, not the GP.
    http://www.cotswoldcleaningandmaintenance.co.uk/shinersforum/
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dukebof69 wrote:
    well, I'm a cleaner (windows) and it seems to me that some of you have no idea, either on pricing, or how it all works. Please, if you want, direct any questions about it all to me.
    not in Cardiff are you? If you are, contact me please!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport