🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

window cleaners (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• aliwatts
    aliwatts Posts: 651 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thetope wrote:
    you are getting ripped off - i live in a terrace in Belfast and the window cleaner does 6 windows (he only does the front as access to the back is too tricky). it's £1.50 and he comes every fortnight.

Thats a real bargain, can't imagine your window cleaner is very well off....he needs to put his prices up !!!
    :hello: Laugh and smile everyday, it keeps you healthy ! :wave:
    Thanks for everybodies help on here, what a great community !
  • pilgjo
    pilgjo Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    In Kent I pay £7 for my man with a ladder and ford sierra to clean 9 windows and 3 doors. He comes back in the eve 4 his money. My neighbour has a company with a flash van and she puts a bar code in her window and they scan it when they clean them and debit her bank account - very impressive but it is £12!!!
  • aliwatts
    aliwatts Posts: 651 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow the age of modern technology, its all very flash now isn't it? But yes agree what a rip off !
    :hello: Laugh and smile everyday, it keeps you healthy ! :wave:
    Thanks for everybodies help on here, what a great community !
  • lex
    lex Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    Wow, I think we were ripped off!

We live in Surrey, and were paying £9 for a 3 bed semi (excluding porch and no conservatory etc). Needless to say, he only came for two months - I cancelled him coming last week as I realised how much it was costing.

I don't think he was expensive for the area though :eek:

lex
    Competition wins -
    May 09 - Horrid Henry book box set, 8GB ipod touch, Jan 10 - Creme Egg keyring, 4 Ripley's Believe it or not museum tickets! Feb 10 - Annabel Karmel snacks, Disney laptop, tumble tots back pack, tumble tots DVD, basket of fruit,
    Mar 10 - Farm Frenzy 3 PC game, GHD styler carry case, May 10 - 44 inch chest DVD
  • moneysaver39
    moneysaver39 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    After reading this I think we must be being charged too much. Our is £7.25 for a patio door and 7 windows. I do remember when we first started they said it was a certain amount per window.
  • windowstuart
    windowstuart Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    i'm a window cleaner in the north of scotland. on average, a typical clean should cost between 50P - £1.00 per window, depending of course on your location (rural areas obviously are more expensive due to travel!). most window cleaners have minimum charges too to stop people asking for only a couple of windows being done (we're not a charity you know!).
    someone said earlier that they were sacking their window cleaner because he used dirty water! i used to use the old mop and squeegee technique and managed just fine to impress my customers with only one bucket of water a day! but I now use a pole fed system, so i dont have to use ladders.(new government regulations restrict the use of ladders now if theres an alternative, which there is). the system isnt cheap to buy and run, so prices should be relatively high to cover the costs involved.
    put it this way...how long does it take YOU to do the windows, and how much would YOU have to earn to cover your time doing it? You may well be paying for the privilege, but its worth it!

WINDOW CLEANERS RULE!!!
  • Queue_2
    Queue_2 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    lex wrote:
    Wow, I think we were ripped off!

We live in Surrey, and were paying £9 for a 3 bed semi (excluding porch and no conservatory etc). Needless to say, he only came for two months - I cancelled him coming last week as I realised how much it was costing.

I don't think he was expensive for the area though :eek:

lex

We also live in Surrey and are paying £14 for a small 3 bed detached with no porch or conservatory, etc. He comes every couple of months so I console myself that it is only costing me £7 a month. It is expensive but I know I couldn't manage them myself.
  • yummum_3
    yummum_3 Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    thetope wrote:
    you are getting ripped off - i live in a terrace in Belfast and the window cleaner does 6 windows (he only does the front as access to the back is too tricky). it's £1.50 and he comes every fortnight.

You can not say that they are getting ripped off! I am a window cleaner and wouldnt get out of bed for £1.50 (would you!!!!) The prices people are charged are relative to the size of the job and how long it takes. If you pay peanuts you will get monkeys.

I say if you dont like what you are getting charged do them yourself and see how long it lasts (including winter). You will be begging for you window cleaner back!!!
  • windowstuart
    windowstuart Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    here, here!!!
    I don't think people realise that us window cleaners don't work full time due to weather. over the past 6 weeks, i've only managed to get 3 weeks work done, as the weather has been so attrocious. window cleaners have to make up that short fall somehow! bad weather and shorter hours in the winter make it very hard going. most window cleaners are reasonably priced, and i bet 99 % of them don't own as posh a house as the ones they clean!
    Can't a guy (or gal!) earn an honest wage...pick on tesco for a change!!!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Another one from Northern Ireland here......My window cleaner comes once a fortnight, come rain hail or shine and charges £3 for nine windows and two glazed doors. He does a brilliant job and is worth his weight in gold.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family