Swine Flu & Summer Holidays: OFficial MSE Discussion

Options

Comments

• Quinney_2
    Options
    just seen on here that £1000 pound cover for each person not whole holiday deal . I s this correct??
  • clairemca
    clairemca Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    so i rang cheaper.travel insurance (cheaper.travelinsurance.co.uk) to find out what their policies are on swine flu. they spoke to me about it over the phone summarising their policies and i just wanted to check in with the knowledgeable bods here to see if i've missed anything (they wouldn't send me anything in writing, that's a pain, do i need it in writing? they said their calls were recorded....).

-will pay out if holiday cancelled or curtailed due to swine flu
    -Will pay out if barred from flying due to swine flu and you weren't aware that had swine flu prior to flying [not sure why you have to not know you have it, surely that would just come under cancelled and curtailed?]
    - If kept in quarantine in destination country they will also cover any costs related to cancellation or curtailment, even if it turns out that you don’t have swine flu but were kept in quarantine anyway [i think, just double checking that last part of the sentence with them].
    - Written proof from a GP that you have swine flu is required to be able to make a claim. If GP is unable to see you the tamiflu packaging with prescription details made out to claimant will be considered.

so....are there any other important questions/loopholes i need to ask about? i'm going to Australia, anyone know how easy it is to get tamiflu prescription if i'm out there and get swine flu?

grr, so much more to think about now the dreaded lurgy is about!
  • Tootlebum
    Options
    Am I being really stupid? We've bought travel insurance for our holiday from Moneysupermarket, it's with Primary Insurance and was a really good price. But when I went on the ABI website to see if they are listed I can find neither them nor a single one of the other insurance providers suggested by Moneysupermarket. Can anyone help please?!!
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Primary is underwritten by Axa who are not that great on claims in my experience
  • carol120401
    carol120401 Posts: 73 Forumite
    Options
    hart2932 wrote: »
    I have an annual travel insurance policy with swiftcover - they have said swine flu is covered, which is great. Trouble is, my policy renews 3 days into my holiday in October. When I asked if the renewed policy would definetly still cover swine flu, they replied "At Swiftcover.com our renewal invitations are based on the exact same details that we currently hold on file, therefore your renewal invitation will be based on the exact same details", but I'm still a bit concerned that if they decide not to cover swine flu when they renew the policy I won't be covered if I come down with it whilst away ( I'm going to the states, so don't want to not be covered there!)
    Should I be worried?

Suggest you pay your renewal early so you have the policy schedule before you travel.
  • carol120401
    carol120401 Posts: 73 Forumite
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »
    Primary is underwritten by Axa who are not that great on claims in my experience

That's a sweepting statement. Do you work for Fortis by any chance given your plug of the Post Office Travel policy?

My inlaws had to use the Assistance element of their AXA policy last month and the service was impeccable.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I do not work for Axa, have a look on the internet or on the many many MSE threads about problems with Axa in particular their travel policies. The financial agony aunt for the Telegraph seems to clear up an Axa Travel problem every other week.

Axa / Swiftcover are renouned for their poor customer service and claims on most products.

I'm actually a broker so deal with many many Insurers including Axa, most brokers will tell you they have problems. Whenever they have a new boss they always say they acknowledge they have problems and will deal with it. In my personal experience I try to avoid any French Insurers as have seen a many problems with them
  • beeblebrox_2
    Options
    We have just returned from a Swine Flu free holiday in Cos ( Greece ) and can confirm that when arriving the airport staff wear surgical masks "airside" and thermal image scan everyone before passport control, i.e. before you "enter" the country. So travelling with a raised temperature whatever illness you have, will create difficulties. I have reccomended to all my friends to check their insurance cover before travelling.

cheers

Paul
  • kiwigirluk
    kiwigirluk Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    I've got an annual policy with Travelplan Direct, which expired today; I went to renew it, and queried the swine flu conditions as we've got a trip to New Zealand booked.. they informed me that they won't accept anything less than a medical certificate issued by a doctor.
    When I mentioned the Pandemic Reference Number and the accompanying box of Tamiflu, they said it wouldn't be sufficient to process a claim. I then asked about the information on Moneysavingexpert, specifically the information from the ABI (Association of British Insurers), and was told it didn't apply, even though the policy I have is underwritten by a member company, as their information is 'up to date' (implying that Moneysavingexpert.com's isn't).

Anyone got any suggestions on who I can get my annual policy through this year??
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i was looking at going to sri lanka,but the Fo website says if you contract swine flu you cannot be moved to a private hospital.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure