Swine Flu & Summer Holidays: OFficial MSE Discussion

Options
MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
This is an official link to discuss the
Travel insurance, compensation & financial protection

MSE Guide.

To ask a question or discuss click reply.

Related Guides: Cheap Travel Insurance
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• SHEILA54
    SHEILA54 Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

My family are looking for a single trip travel insurance to go to Disneyland Paris at the end of August, with low claim excess of possible.

With the swine flu crisis I have looked at a lot of policies but most say that they will not provide cover if you have undisclosed symptoms of any illness before travel.

Where does this leave anyone who may be coming down with it but just not be aware and can anyone see through the jargon and find a company that would provide cover?

There are 2 adults and 2 children, travelling by car, for 7 days. I have covered the accomodation so guess that this will be covered under my annual policy if anything goes wrong.

Thanks
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 July 2009 at 7:46AM
    Options
    If you had swine flu symptoms,you would be unwise to ignore that.If you had the symptoms,you WOULD know wouldn't you.And yes,it would be your fault if you didn't disclose you had symptoms.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The Fortis Policy through a broker covers cancellation due to swine flu (If your advised by the Foreign Office not to travel) and includes medical expenses for swine flu.

(The Fortis policy from the Post Office has a different wording for cancellation)

Here is their policy wording http://www.fortisinsurance.co.uk/images/pdf/533.pdf

Here is where you can buy it from http://www.fortisinsurance.co.uk/policyholders/how-to-buy/
  • DelBoyPhil
    DelBoyPhil Posts: 875 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.direct-travel.co.uk/ cover for swineflu but say if airline says we cant travel they wont pay us anything???????????

so will the airline pay our £7000 holiday cost lol they say no says virgin
  • britbloke
    Options
    I am British and my partner is French but has lived here for 11 years. She has a French passport. She is also 10 weeks pregnant. Both of us have insurance against cancellation/curtailment should one of us fall ill before or during the holiday. The UK seems to have the best route to flu treatment should either of us get Swine Flu in the UK, but what about her in particular if we're abroad?

We've trips booked to Italy and France; both countries would recognise her as a French national. Relenza seems to be the only treatment given to pregnant women. She's worried that she'll have less access to it abroad. Any advice on who to contact while abroad would be appreciated? Thank you.
  • insj1
    insj1 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I have a travel insurance policy with Virgin Holidays which was arranged over 12 months ago before Swine flu had started. The provider is Mondial Assistance. After the outbreak, checked my policy and it has a general exclusion for pandemics. I phoned Mondial today, but cannot get an answer. Apparently, they are having a meeting about it today! Can anyone advise me of a provider that will provide cover. I am travelling to USA and am worried if I should require medical assistance due to swine flu whilst there as I will have to pay my own medical bills!
    Thank you
    litsj1
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    edited 21 July 2009 at 11:37AM
    Options
    Does anyone know what the position is on cruises? We are due to travel in 10 days and have a multi trip policy with direct travel, renewed in May.

To me a cruise ship is quite a likely place for someone to board with symptoms and for it to spread during the course of a 14 day holiday......good choice of hol for this year!!!
  • koolmummy
    koolmummy Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    DelBoyPhil wrote: »
    http://www.direct-travel.co.uk/ cover for swineflu but say if airline says we cant travel they wont pay us anything???????????

Not the case. If the airline refused you travel as they suspected that you were unwell with raised temperature etc, you would then need to contact your G.P ( by telephone)! - in order to obtain a medical certificate to say you were unfit to travel. You would be entitled to submit a cancellation claim.

You should also ensure that the airline give you a letter on headed paper stating the reason why they refused you on the flight.

• koolmummy
    koolmummy Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    poet123 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the position is on cruises? We are due to travel in 10 days and have a multi trip policy with direct travel, renewed in May.

To me a cruise ship is quite a likely place for someone to board with symptoms and for it to spread during the course of a 14 day holiday......good choice of hol for this year!!!

DTI will not regard a cruise as being any different to any other type of holiday.
    If you get ill before you travel and it is necessary for you to submit a claim for cancellation, if you have cancellation cover, you can do this.

If you get ill whilst ion the cruise, you have up to £10 million each for medical expenses etc.

I understand what you are saying about a cruise ship being an ideal place for Swine Flu to spread, but so is a plane, an office, supermarket etc.
  • DelBoyPhil
    DelBoyPhil Posts: 875 Forumite
    Options
    I been told that virgin now have a doctor on call at the airport...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure