🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Swine Flu & Summer Holidays: OFficial MSE Discussion

Options

Comments

• miamoo
    miamoo Posts: 1,694 Forumite
    Options
    I've spoken to several travel insurance providers today - none of which have a pandemic exclusion. They all say that your GP would need to provide written proof that you have swine flu before they would pay out. However, my practice manager tells me that no GP would provide written confirmation without a test being done to prove it - but GPs are not going to do any tests now that the NHS has instituted the phone/web system for diagnosis. I asked if this could be paid for privately (on the basis that it'll be cheaper than most holidays) and was told that the practice would not entertain the idea.

According to my GP practice manager, the BMA is in discussions with the Association of British Insurers to try to resolve this issue - since insurers are currently placing impossible demands on insurees.

I can see this being a massive problem, how on earth can you get a written diagnosis off the doctor proving you have swine flu when the doctors wont test anyone??
    £100 - £10,000
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Options
    I agree, there will be those who use this as a means of getting out of a holiday they cannot now afford, or for if they dont want to for other reasons. The majority will have valid cases, but how areany of us goingtoprove thatis the case? Does the burden of proof lie with the insured? or if you have a Tamiflu prescription could that be used as proof?

It is an issue which needs clarification by the insurance companies and the BMA across the board, and it should be the same rules for all, not be left to the discretion of each company.
  • spender
    spender Posts: 1,157 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I phoned travel insurance.com with whom my daughter has travel insurance (we travel in a couple of weeks), they stated that the new call centre would be able to give a reference number after they declared you "unfit to travel" and would be able to provide this to your insurance company. This sounds better than trying to get your GP to sign you off.
    No Matter what you do there will be critics.
  • treeny_bash
    treeny_bash Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    kobita1985 wrote: »
    the best quotes i've gotten are oul and insurewithease..
    oul confirmed as not having a clause about swine flu.

Hi

Have you confirmed this directly with OUL, or is this just from reading their policy? I am really paranoid about this!

Thanks

Katrina
  • treeny_bash
    treeny_bash Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Have you confirmed this directly with OUL, or is this just from reading their policy? I am really paranoid about this!

Thanks

Katrina

Nevermind, I should have checked first. The first FAQ on OUL's website confirms that:
    "Provided the swine flu was was not already contracted prior to purchasing the insurance or booking the trip you will be covered against any cancellation of your holiday due to the contraction of Swine Flu should the doctor advise it is medically necessary to cancel the trip.

The cancellation section will not cover you for disinclination (not wishing to) of travel due to fear of contracting Swine Flu.

However, as long as you are not travelling against Foreign Office advice, you would be covered for any medical treatment relating to this, following the policy terms and conditions.

Please refer to your policy wording for full terms and conditions."[\QUOTE]
  • miamoo
    miamoo Posts: 1,694 Forumite
    Options
    spender wrote: »
    I phoned travel insurance.com with whom my daughter has travel insurance (we travel in a couple of weeks), they stated that the new call centre would be able to give a reference number after they declared you "unfit to travel" and would be able to provide this to your insurance company. This sounds better than trying to get your GP to sign you off.

There is no way that all the insurance company's are going to pay out by giving a reference number that you get over the phone. Anyone could ring up and say they had swine flu!
    I would be ringing them straight back, and asking for that in writing, I bet they wont!!
    £100 - £10,000
  • Gambit
    Gambit Posts: 584 Forumite
    Options
    Hey guys, I know there are a lot of questions on this forum but I have another to add. I currently have an A&L current account which comes with free travel insurance. I am wondering if anyone else has this and knows if it covers cancellation costs and does not exclude a pandemic? I'm worried about relying in this 'free' insurance but at the same time think there is no point paying more money for another travel insurance policy with the same amount of cover.

Anyone else in the same boat?
    Current Debt Owed To Family: [STRIKE]£12,575[/STRIKE] £9,000 :wall:
    Estimated Debt Free... [STRIKE]Dec 2012[/STRIKE] Aug 2012

:xmassmileChristmas 2010 Sealed Pot Challenge #477 :xmassmile
  • Incapuppy
    Incapuppy Posts: 5,713 Forumite
    Options
    This is not meant to sound rude, but I am quite surprised by some of the questions on here, in that if I needed accurate advice I would be speaking directly to my insurer and not relying on the advice from strangers on the internet.
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Options
    I would hope that is what most people are doing as well as posting. There is no substitute for relevant advice from the particular company involved.
  • Gambit
    Gambit Posts: 584 Forumite
    Options
    I take your points but from my point of view I was just asking as I thought some people may have already looked into this and would be able to lessen my fears about not being covered. Of course I will be contacting the insurer directly but a) I cant do that until I get home and have all the relevant paper work and b) I will be doing it via email so that I have it in writing which may take a few days. I was also hoping that someone may know of their website or a link to their T&C's that might mention Swine Flu.
    Current Debt Owed To Family: [STRIKE]£12,575[/STRIKE] £9,000 :wall:
    Estimated Debt Free... [STRIKE]Dec 2012[/STRIKE] Aug 2012

:xmassmileChristmas 2010 Sealed Pot Challenge #477 :xmassmile
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business