Swine Flu & Summer Holidays: OFficial MSE Discussion

Options

Comments

• oddlyuk
    oddlyuk Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    My 14 yr old daughter is going to Cyprus in a couple of weeks with another family. My daughter has a single policy whilst they obviously have their own family policy. My concern is what if the family get swine flu and cannot travel but my daughter does not. I'm not sure we would be able to claim for cancellation in this instance. I have checked the Post Office policy and whilst it does say under Cancellation and Curtailment "your death,injury or illness or that of your travelling companion" but does not define "travelling companion".
  • littledeb
    Options
    poet123 wrote: »
    I assume the above applies to cruise ships refusing you embarkation?

If they do so, I assume you need to get them to confirm diagnosis in writing, and then phone the flu hotline and get the ID number to be covered?

At Poet123, our travel insurance policy does also refer to 'refusal to board trains, sea vessels, coaches or buses' so I am guessing exactly the same will apply to you.

Cheers
    Deb
  • Porcupine
    Porcupine Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    Here's the reply I got from Columbus Direct:
    Further to your request, we can confirm

1. We do not provide cover for Pandemics.

2. Sufficient proof would be the diagnosis you receive over the telephone/internet. We do, however, require the reference number you will be given

3. Presently, the Government is advising against travel if you have contracted Swine Flu

4. We wouldn't cover loss of accommodation or travel whilst in quarantine however, we could extent cover until you have been released and will repatriate you back if the original flight is missed provided you contact the assistance service.

5. Sufficient proof in the destination country would be a letter from the doctor confirming Swine Flu, medical certificates, evidence of receipts

6. We can confirm that we are NOT a member of the Association of British Insurers. We are regulated by the FSA.
    (my emphasis)
  • connlach
    connlach Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    The National Phone Service only covers England so what if you live somewhere else and cant get a reference number!
  • Incapuppy
    Incapuppy Posts: 5,713 Forumite
    Options
    connlach wrote: »
    The National Phone Service only covers England so what if you live somewhere else!

You look on the website and find the phone number for the country of the UK in which you live.
  • Porcupine
    Porcupine Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder if it's possible to ring the 0800 number outside the UK. For example, you successfully catch airline A to some interchange airport outside the UK, and then airline B refuses you travel. If that's true, can you phone them from a foreign airport and get a diagnosis to satisfy the conditions. I can forsee trouble if the foreign airport is saying 'we suspect you, go away and don't come back' but refusing to give a diagnosis.

(there's an 01/02 number around somewhere that allows you to call freephone numbers indirectly, so maybe that's ringable from abroad if the 0800 isn't)
  • oily_boots
    Options
    Booked holiday and travel company needed insurance details then so took out annual multi-trip cover in January with moneysupermarket / flexi cover to srat 1/8/2009 and cover our Vietnam trip. We are both usually very healthy, have never cancelled or claimed before. So £1000.00 cancellation seemed adequate.

At Easter (as we all know) the H1N1 swine flu pandemic started and has spread very quickly (UK now 3rd highest numbers of cases). Tried to up cancellation cover (prepared to pay extra premium) by contacting insurance company.

Their reply - can't change policy - outside 14 day cool off period - if cancel and go for new policy, no guarantee any refund will happen. See their reply below!

Helpful insurance company when we are trying to do the right thing and following advice from NHS, our own GP, the travel nurse and MoneySavingExpert.com - should we take this to FSA and/or ombudsman?

[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
  • Incapuppy
    Incapuppy Posts: 5,713 Forumite
    Options
    oily_boots wrote: »
    Booked holiday and travel company needed insurance details then so took out annual multi-trip cover in January with moneysupermarket / flexi cover to srat 1/8/2009 and cover our Vietnam trip.

When are you travelling? Travel insurance should be in place, ideally, to cover you for cancellation from the date you make your booking.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    oily_boots wrote: »
    Booked holiday and travel company needed insurance details then so took out annual multi-trip cover in January with moneysupermarket / flexi cover to srat 1/8/2009 and cover our Vietnam trip. We are both usually very healthy, have never cancelled or claimed before. So £1000.00 cancellation seemed adequate.

At Easter (as we all know) the H1N1 swine flu pandemic started and has spread very quickly (UK now 3rd highest numbers of cases). Tried to up cancellation cover (prepared to pay extra premium) by contacting insurance company.

Their reply - can't change policy - outside 14 day cool off period - if cancel and go for new policy, no guarantee any refund will happen. See their reply below!

Helpful insurance company when we are trying to do the right thing and following advice from NHS, our own GP, the travel nurse and MoneySavingExpert.com - should we take this to FSA and/or ombudsman?

If you have £1000 cover then it is normally per person on the policy
  • Quinney_2
    Options
    :rolleyes:Hello,
    I have checked my holiday insiurance due to Swine Flu, I have cancellation cover but no Pandemic. My problem is my cancelation cover is lower than the cost of my holiday...is there anyway I can up it?
    Thanks Quinney
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport