Swine Flu & Summer Holidays: OFficial MSE Discussion

Options

Comments

• buxtonrabbitgreen
    Options
    We are travelling in 2 weeks. As we are going to stay with family the only cost is the flights. So if we get turned away it is not too bad. It doesn't look likely that we would get refunded ( I have got insurance) So what I wonder (unlikely I know) is would Ryanair allow us to reschedule. I think my dd has already had it, but not the rest of us.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • Porcupine
    Porcupine Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    I've emailed a few insurers. Here's the reply from Club Direct:
    Further to your request I can confirm that swine flu will be covered for cancellation before travelling provided you contact the swine flu hotline on 0800 1513 513 and obtain a reference number confirming you have swine flu.

Also, if held in quarantine before you left you can claim for cancellation.

However, if the airline stops you claiming you show signs of swine flu, then cancellation will NOT be covered

Whilst abroad and swine flu is contracted you can claim for medical cover. And if held in quarantine abroad we can extend the cover until you are released. You will then need to contact the assistant service number which is found in your policy documents to inform them.
  • alph250
    alph250 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Instead of putting who doesnt cover for swine flu i thought i would put who does!

Flexicover do

But i went for Direct Travel (as in the previous post no3) who cover swine flu, Our policy starts and finishes on the dates of travel but whould we contract the flu prior to travel we are still covered under the cancellation part of the policy.

Ours is 38 day cover (away for 32 days) to HK and NZ at a cost of £104 for 2 healthy 24 year olds!
  • miamoo
    miamoo Posts: 1,694 Forumite
    Options
    spender wrote: »
    I replied earlier stating that a reference no from the Swine Flu hotline might be acceptable for insurance companies to be shot down in usual MSE style. I have pasted an extract from the Guardian today

insurers have said they will accept claims as long as they are accompanied with a patient's unique ID number from the National Flu Service and a Tamiflu label stating their name and date of issue.
    I apologise if my post came across as 'shooting you down' it wasn't meant in that tone at all.
    £100 - £10,000
  • miamoo
    miamoo Posts: 1,694 Forumite
    Options
    The main problem I can see would be with the recession either people can't afford their holiday anymore, or they realise they have paid over the odds, and cancel to rebook the same/similar holiday as a last minute deal saving a lot of money. They can very easily use the swine flu as an excuse to cancel if no actual proof of infection is needed.
    £100 - £10,000
  • Porcupine
    Porcupine Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    And this from JS Insurance:
    Some of our policies will provide cover for cancellation of your trip if you have been diagnosed by a medical practitioner with having contracted Swine Flu, or if you have been quarantined by a medical practitioner and develop Swine Flu.

If you have travel insurance, which includes Cancellation or Curtailment cover, and have booked your trip, but then contract Swine Flu and are consequently unable to travel, you will be covered for the cancellation of your holiday, subject to you providing proof that you were ill and unfit to travel at the time of your scheduled departure date. A certificate should be obtained from your Medical Practitioner to confirm this.

However, please be aware that there is no cover for cancellation of your holiday if you have not been diagnosed with Swine Flu and simply do not wish to travel to your holiday destination for fear of contracting Swine Flu

Our policy will provide cover under the medical section, this will extend to cover if you are quarantined e.g. you can't fly home for fear of passing on to others and are confined to your accommodation. The costs of this will be met, as will the cost or the return flight but this will only be upon prior approval from the assistance company.

If you contract Swine Flu while you are away and need medical assistance your policy will cover you within its limits. In addition, the costs of any quarantine or alternative return flight as recommended by your doctor and the assistance company will be covered.

Note the insistence on a certificate from a medical practitioner, which clearly isn't going to happen.
  • littledeb
    Options
    Ok, am hoping this helps all of those who have specific fears about the 'refusal to fly' exclusion in their insurance policies. My policy (Club Direct who are underwritten by PTI) have a general exclusion which states that 'any claim which arises directly or indirectly from not being allowed to board a flight, train, sea vessel, coach or bus, for any reason whatsoever; WILL NOT BE COVERED.

Obviously this scared the life out of me as some airlines are threatening to refuse to fly people who they think have swine flu. I have spoken with the Association of British Insurers who have told me the following:
    The Club Direct policy is underwritten by 'Professional Travel Insurance' (PTI) - an ABI member based in Gibraltar.
    [SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
    We have spoken to PTI who have confirmed that the company will be handling claims in line with the ABI press release on swine flu. So if a traveller is turned away by the airline and diagnosed by a medically qualified person, the claim will be treated as a cancellation on medical grounds as per normal.
    [SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
    We have passed your details to PTI so that they can reassure you directly.

I have also spoken directly with Club Direct and am awaiting a written confirmation. They state that you must follow this protocol in order to be covered:

1. If the airline refuses to fly you, you MUST get referred to their onsite GP and MUST get a diagnosis.
    2. You must then contact the National Flu Pandemic hotline number and get a reference number. You WILL then be covered under the cancellation part of your insuranc as long as you provide this reference number.

If the onsite GP will not give you a diagnosis, then the airline essentially has to have a rethink and has to assist you with your travel plans. I would strongly recomend that everyone that has this exclusion in their policy gets a similar written statement from their insurer and carries the national flu pandemic hotline number with them to the airport. (0800 1513 513)

I personally would also contact the association of British Insurers for similar reassurance if you are insured with someone other than Club Direct and have this same exclusion on your policy.

Hope that helps some of you
    Cheers
    Deb
  • spender
    spender Posts: 1,157 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Promise I am not getting obsessed I am just so worried because of our holiday in a few weeks which I desparately want and need but kids being kids have probably been in contact with Swine Flu I have found this on the web as well:-

Those people who use the new National Pandemic Flu service to receive a diagnosis will be able to use their unique ID number and the label from their anti-flu prescription as proof of swine flu so they can claim on their travel insurance.

Following discussions between the Association of British Insurers and the Department of Health, the ABI has announced that its members will accept these as proof of the customer suffering from swine flu and they will be sufficient to validate a travel insurance claim in the absence of confirmation from their GP.

The National Pandemic Flu Service went live yesterday, and the online and telephone services were immediately swamped by users seeking confirmation that they were suffering symptoms of the virus, and those who were merely seeking information.

The ABI confirmed this week that travel insurance providers who are members of the ABI will provide cover for swine flu under their policies, to protect people who are too ill to travel and have to cancel their holiday, or who become ill whilst abroad and require medical treatment.

The unique ID number and the label will suffice, the ABI said, which includes the patient's name and the date of issue, as there is an unsurprising delay in patients acquiring written confirmation from their doctors that they are unfit to travel.

Nick Starling, the ABI's director of general insurance and health, said Travel insurance is there to help people who are too ill to travel or who become ill on holiday.

"We understand that the National Pandemic Flu Service will only authorise an anti-flu prescription to people who are genuinely displaying symptoms of swine flu."

The ABI said that those who use the National Pandemic Flu Service to obtain anti-flu medication, and need to make a claim on their travel insurance because of cancelled holidays and flights, should retain all the original documentation so that it can be used to validate their claim.
    No Matter what you do there will be critics.
  • madkitty
    madkitty Posts: 447 Forumite
    Options
    If this helps this is the official reply I got from Club Direct:
    Further to your request I can confirm that swine flu will be covered for cancellation before travelling provided you contact the swine flu hotline on 0800 1513 513 and obtain a reference number confirming you have swine flu.

[SIZE=+0][/SIZE][SIZE=+0]Also, if held in quarantine before you left you can claim for cancellation.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]However, if the airline stops you claiming you show signs of swine flu, then cancellation will NOT be covered unless you ring the hotline.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]Whilst abroad and swine flu is contracted you can claim for medical cover. And if held in quarantine abroad we can extend the cover until you are released. You will then need to contact the assistant service number which is found in your policy documents to inform them.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]I trust this is satisfactory. Should you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to contact us.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]Kind Regards[/SIZE]
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Options
    I assume the above applies to cruise ships refusing you embarkation?

If they do so, I assume you need to get them to confirm diagnosis in writing, and then phone the flu hotline and get the ID number to be covered?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure