🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Swine Flu & Summer Holidays: OFficial MSE Discussion

Options

Comments

• Lifeisbutadream
    Lifeisbutadream Posts: 13,102 Forumite
    Options
    Dont really know why I am posting as nobody can help!

I am currently on holiday in Gran Cararia and OH got Swine Flu on Monday (self diagnosed he has all the symptoms DS started with high temp and sneezes yesterday I got the doctor out and he said he had tonsilitus and prescribed him antibiotics I got my Dad to get Tamiflu from docs at home and he posted them yesterday on 24 hour delivery but they still have not arrived.

I am feeling pretty low at the moment as it is likely that we will all get it now the holiday has been completely ruined from day 1 and I am really worried about DS especially as he has not been able to start on Tamiflu.

Anyway to all those worried about travelling I wish we hadnt we had no idea anyone was ill at the time we left but if I had known I would not have come.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,603 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd also advise everyone to ensure they have declared ANY medical issues they may have had recently when buying insurance, or if you have annual insurance check the small print about disclosure of new information.

This may even be if you are due to have tests for an underlying problems as it may void your insurance.

It's at times when claims are high that insurance companies start looking at medical histories.
  • davidlizard
    davidlizard Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another thing to check on travel insurance policies, and clarify with the insurance company is any indirect consequences and losses as a result of swine flu, even though you and your party are 100% well.

For example, a significant number of air traffic controllers (or other key airport or airline staff) are infected, and are unable to work. As a consequence, flights are cancelled because there are insufficient staff for safe operations. Are you covered in this instance?

In general, a successful holiday is reliant on a large number of people, groups of people and organisations, all who are susceptible to pandemics. These include airport workers, airline staff, transport staff, hotel staff, entertainment/activity staff and so on - the failure of any of these to be able to do their jobs will result in anything from minor disappointment to loss of holiday.
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Options
    Dont really know why I am posting as nobody can help!

I am currently on holiday in Gran Cararia and OH got Swine Flu on Monday (self diagnosed he has all the symptoms DS started with high temp and sneezes yesterday I got the doctor out and he said he had tonsilitus and prescribed him antibiotics I got my Dad to get Tamiflu from docs at home and he posted them yesterday on 24 hour delivery but they still have not arrived.

I am feeling pretty low at the moment as it is likely that we will all get it now the holiday has been completely ruined from day 1 and I am really worried about DS especially as he has not been able to start on Tamiflu.

Anyway to all those worried about travelling I wish we hadnt we had no idea anyone was ill at the time we left but if I had known I would not have come.

I hope you are soon feeling better, there is nothing worse than being away from home when you are ill, all you want is your own bed. Good luck and I hope you get a few days of good holiday time
  • mikelinda
    Options
    hi we are off to denver in one month and have realised that our annual policy does not cover a pandemic.Would we have to foot the medical bill if we became ill in the U.S and had to receive either treatment or worse had to be hospitalised. many thanks linda
  • Incapuppy
    Incapuppy Posts: 5,713 Forumite
    Options
    mikelinda wrote: »
    hi we are off to denver in one month and have realised that our annual policy does not cover a pandemic.Would we have to foot the medical bill if we became ill in the U.S and had to receive either treatment or worse had to be hospitalised. many thanks linda

I would advise you to telephone your insurers and query this matter directly with them.
  • zylo
    zylo Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    What do you do if you've got or had swineflu and want to book a holiday? If you book a holiday you need insurance in place to protect you in case another member of the family gets swineflu - but if you haven't already got insurance, it's difficult getting any.

If you can say you've "made a complete recovery" then you can get insurance with just a small additional premium - but when is it safe to say you've made a complete recovery (ie, your doctor would back that up in the case of a later claim on your insurance) - and what happens if swineflu symptoms re-occur (does that immediately invalidate your insurance because it could be said you hadn't fully recovered?).

The alternative is to say you haven't made a complete recovery - with most insurers refusing to cover you - or one offering cover at an additional premium of £250. Anyone else in a similar position or had experience of insurers in this position?
  • spender
    spender Posts: 1,157 Forumite
    Options
    I replied earlier stating that a reference no from the Swine Flu hotline might be acceptable for insurance companies to be shot down in usual MSE style. I have pasted an extract from the Guardian today

insurers have said they will accept claims as long as they are accompanied with a patient's unique ID number from the National Flu Service and a Tamiflu label stating their name and date of issue.
    No Matter what you do there will be critics.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,133 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    insurers have said they will accept claims as long as they are accompanied with a patient's unique ID number from the National Flu Service and a Tamiflu label stating their name and date of issue.

So anyone who wants to cancel their holiday for a non-insurable reason just need to phone the swine flu line and make up the symptons. They then get issued with a number and collect Tamiflu; keep it in reserve in case they need it and use the label to claim the cost of their holiday back!
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • spender
    spender Posts: 1,157 Forumite
    Options
    Silvercar you are quite right however by then people have paid for their holiday in full and I imagine only a tiny tiny percentage would not want to go on their holiday, I know I look forward to mine for a long time.
    No Matter what you do there will be critics.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport