🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Swine Flu & Summer Holidays: OFficial MSE Discussion

Options

Comments

• Former_MSE_Lawrence
    Former_MSE_Lawrence Posts: 975 Forumite
    edited 22 July 2009 at 11:07AM
    Options
    salist wrote: »
    Your Q & A seems to mainly refer to air travel but some of us still travel by rail and or ferries. How would we be affected/covered ?

As far as I'm aware (though things are changing pretty fast) only P&O cruises (and undoubtedly other cruise companies) are officially turning suspected swine flu sufferers away at the moment, while the regular ferries remain unaffected.

Nonetheless, regardless of the mode of transport, if you're turned away you should try to get some proof of it, the more official (signed, headed paper etc) the better. Provided you've cancellation cover (and there's no pandemic exclusion), you should be able to make a claim, though as explained in the guide, if you lack an official diagnosis you may be forced to jump through hoops to get it paid.

Hope this helps.
  • hart2932
    hart2932 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I have an annual travel insurance policy with swiftcover - they have said swine flu is covered, which is great. Trouble is, my policy renews 3 days into my holiday in October. When I asked if the renewed policy would definetly still cover swine flu, they replied "At Swiftcover.com our renewal invitations are based on the exact same details that we currently hold on file, therefore your renewal invitation will be based on the exact same details", but I'm still a bit concerned that if they decide not to cover swine flu when they renew the policy I won't be covered if I come down with it whilst away ( I'm going to the states, so don't want to not be covered there!)
    Should I be worried?
  • rach83
    rach83 Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    I have this afternoon phoned A Plan insurance to try and obtain a travel insurance quote for my impending holiday. I have asked for a quote to cover me should I become ill with swine flu and not be able to travel and also for cover should Cyprus decide to close their borders.

I am due to fly to Cyprus for a 2 week holiday in 5 weeks time. I have been told that a company called City Bond Travel provide such cover. I have been provided with a quote for a healthy 25 year old and a healthy 27 year old of £37.97 (single trip policy). If anyone else wants to obtain a quote I obtained this via A Plan Insurance (Travel) Farnham 01252 728316.

HTH
  • tlittler
    Options
    Hello, I am due to get married in Oct in Cyprus and at the moment am trying to find out the answer to a question but no one seems to be able to help me.
    I want to take out insurance which will cover me for the cost of my wedding and then the reception at home afterwards if for some reason the swine flu outbreak gets worse and our government\or cypriot government stop us from going out of the country?
    I have rang a wedding company insurance broker who confirmed we would be insured if either the bride or groom got swine flu but not if it is out of our hands ie : travel company\government decision.
    I have also phoned my credit card company thinking that if I paid for the actual wedding and reception charges etc on my credit card then that will at least cover me but apparently it doesnt.
    I know if the travel company stops us from flying then my holiday will be covered via my travel insurance but who can insure me against the cancellation of my wedding and the costs involved.
    Any help would be grateful. Many Thanks
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Options
    I would think you would need specific, all risks, wedding cover, just asyou would if it happned over here and the venue was closed due to swine flu, (which could happen.)
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 July 2009 at 5:33PM
    Options
    tlittler wrote: »
    Hello, I am due to get married in Oct in Cyprus and at the moment am trying to find out the answer to a question but no one seems to be able to help me.
    I want to take out insurance which will cover me for the cost of my wedding and then the reception at home afterwards if for some reason the swine flu outbreak gets worse and our government\or cypriot government stop us from going out of the country?
    I have rang a wedding company insurance broker who confirmed we would be insured if either the bride or groom got swine flu but not if it is out of our hands ie : travel company\government decision.
    I have also phoned my credit card company thinking that if I paid for the actual wedding and reception charges etc on my credit card then that will at least cover me but apparently it doesnt.
    I know if the travel company stops us from flying then my holiday will be covered via my travel insurance but who can insure me against the cancellation of my wedding and the costs involved.
    Any help would be grateful. Many Thanks

You can buy wedding cancellation insurance,I think.

http://www.confetti.co.uk/article/view/6825-8198-0-Wedding_Insurance_Insurance.do
  • DougWeller
    DougWeller Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Age Concern's policy says "Circumstances that could reasonably have been anticipated at the time the trip was booked or when you purchased this insurance." I guess they could use that to get out of paying cover if you get swine flu?
  • theresa61
    Options
    I am going on hols in this country in a few weeks with my family. We have booked two cottages for a week each and hotel accommodation for 2 nights, would holiday insurance cover us for the cost if any of us got ill for the cost of the bookings ?
  • DougWeller
    DougWeller Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DougWeller wrote: »
    Age Concern's policy says "Circumstances that could reasonably have been anticipated at the time the trip was booked or when you purchased this insurance." I guess they could use that to get out of paying cover if you get swine flu?

I phoned Fortis who issue the policy and they say they cover swine flu.
    Dug
  • the_explorer
    Options
    I've spoken to several travel insurance providers today - none of which have a pandemic exclusion. They all say that your GP would need to provide written proof that you have swine flu before they would pay out. However, my practice manager tells me that no GP would provide written confirmation without a test being done to prove it - but GPs are not going to do any tests now that the NHS has instituted the phone/web system for diagnosis. I asked if this could be paid for privately (on the basis that it'll be cheaper than most holidays) and was told that the practice would not entertain the idea.

According to my GP practice manager, the BMA is in discussions with the Association of British Insurers to try to resolve this issue - since insurers are currently placing impossible demands on insurees.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport